NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

It started so well with that Shulk win and just went proper downhill from there.

Gordo shenanigans with Double DDD is funny though!

19 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Well done @Ike tonight, that was totally your night. Me on the other hand, totally pants.

I had plenty of bad matches too. My fallofthestagefornoreason-itis was in full swing last night too.

OK, it's a theme night. I'm expecting a 4 player session tonight, so this one is gonna be a little different. This one is called;

Smashdown Online!?

Have any of you tried Smashdown? It's a fun little mode where each character can only be used once. As soon as anyone picks a character, they're removed from the roster, barring anyone else from choosing them. The only problem is, there's no way to play it online. So I'm taking matters into my own hands.

gIdeKIX.png

Yes, I could've easily got a screenshot of the normal character screen, but then it wouldn't say Smashdown at the top. You can't even tell it's edited anyway.

Now, naturally, I can't make each character disappear as they're chosen, so there'll be some rules to encourage you lot.

1. In general, you'll get points depending on your placing in each match. (1st = 3 points, 2nd = 2 points, 3rd = 1 point, 4th = 0 points)
  2. Once anyone picks a character, everyone is forbidden from choosing that character for the rest of the session.
  3. If you do pick a character that has already been picked, you will gain no points for that match, you'll also be penalised 2 points.
  4. If two people happen to pick the same character in one match, then only the player who places the highest will get any points. Anyone else with the same character will get nothing. For example, if 2 people pick Mario and subsequently place 2nd and 3rd, only the Mario who placed 2nd will get any points.
  5. Echo Fighters are counted as seperate characters, so if someone chooses Samus, you're still allowed to pick Dark Samus.
  6. Characters that act as alternate costumes (Alph, the Koopalings, etc.) do not count as seperate characters, so if someone picks Bowser Jr, that means all the Koopalings are forbidden as well.
  7. Changing the Mii that you play as also doesn't count as a separate character, once someone picks Mii Gunner, no-one else can pick them, even if you have a fancy Cuphead costume. However, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner still count as 3 seperate characters.
  8. In the same vein, Pyra and Mythra count as one single character, they share the same square on the screen, so there.
  9. Don't choose Random, it's a stupid idea.
  10. Once there are less then 4 characters left, Smashdown ends. I will signal this by leaving the ring and saying "I expected nothing less". If there's still time, then we'll go back to a standard random selection, like most nights. I'll post the score and declare the winner later.

Right, hopefully that's clear enough. If you can, I highly recommend printing off the above screenshot on to paper. 86 characters is a hell of a lot to keep track of, and having some way of crossing off each character as they're picked will save you from embarrassing penalties. The results screen after each match is the perfect time to get a pen and cross off who got picked.

The stage and item pool will be the standard fare. As is the format.

Format: 3 Stock, 10 minutes
FS Meter: On

Tonight, 8pm. Once 4 people are in the room, Smashdown will start.

EDIT: Oh right, once someone presses start in the ring and the characters show up, absolutely no backing out of the ring by pressing B in order to change character. You will damn well commit to your poor life choices! Anyone trying to pull a fast one like that will incur the 2 point repeat character penalty.

Edited by Glen-i

3 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

despicable-me-agnes.gif

I'm sure this will go smoothly. I'm hoping you all can get on VC as it will make it easier.

Ha! If you think we're gonna tell you who's left so you don't lose points, you clearly don't know us at all.

Dcubed and I have already printed out two sheets, I highly recommend doing the same.

29 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Dcubed and I have already printed out two sheets, I highly recommend doing the same.

I've saved the image, gonna have it open in a photo program and just mark characters that have been used. 

• Like 1

@Ike we have to finish with all of us as this character, they're the last one left! Might as well go the whole hog

Just now, Glen-i said:

@Ike we have to finish with all of us as this character, they're the last one left! Might as well go the whole hog

Don't have Mii Fighters setup.

That was mad fun! Who would've thought that we could turn Smash into a Prisoner's Dillema? :laughing:

@Ike Now you need to set up Miis for next time!

Well that was a fun a different night. Actually found it easier than I thought to keep track,, just couldn't find the character as the tables weren't the same.

Now we all know who the least fqaavourite characters are, Mii Swordfighter, along with those others that didn't get picked till they had to.

Oh @Glen-i, advanced notice. I won't be around for next weeks games. I'll be in Wales at the WWE Clash at the Castle show.

• Thanks 1

And here are the results!

1st @Glen-i 40 points
2nd @Dcubed 38 points
3rd @Ike 36 points
4th @BowserBasher 23 points

I can't believe on the second last fight, with only 5 characters left, we all managed to avoid any duplicates! I'm starting to think we know each other's preferences too well...

• Weird 1

I knew I came last but that was a lot closer at the top than I thought. At least I had fun and thats all that counts.

It's definitely one I'll have to repeat in the future. I never expected having to account for the possibility of duplicates would end up making Smashdown have even more mind games!

6 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Well that was a fun a different night. Actually found it easier than I thought to keep track,, just couldn't find the character as the tables weren't the same.

In hindsight, I did it for the funnies, but it probably would be better if I just did the standard character screen.
I wish Miis were allowed in standard Smashdown...

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Busted a gut at @Ike's insanely unlucky Capsule backfire in the double Samus fight!

Since it was a win for me I just enjoyed it even more. Sorry @Ike

Some great games there last night. I made one a lot closer than it should have been, I think against @Ike. And that run of two of us having the same character for like 5 games at the end there. Worst was my ZSS against you two Minecrafters, I just had no way to stop you both mining. 

I hope @Glen-i has got that match saved where Ike died through some odd means (or so it looked like on the Nintendogs stage. 

1 hour ago, BowserBasher said:

I hope @Glen-i has got that match saved where Ike died through some odd means (or so it looked like on the Nintendogs stage. 

Alright, so as far as I understood, a person could only hurt themselves with their own Motion-Sensor Bomb by setting it down, forgetting about it, and then stepping on it after it had been activated. There's also the possibility of attacking one that's mid-flight, causing it to explode in your face. So I thought that might be what happened, but...

Clearly no explosion, it almost looks like @Ike accidentally beaned himself in the face with the mine when it ricocheted off of the block toy.

So I went into training mode, picked Shulk and started faffing about with the item. Throwing it straight up and standing still didn't result in me taking damage from it falling. So I went to the Princess Peach's Castle stage, and chucked one at the center pillar while standing right next to it, and yes! I took 6% damage!

So, in conclusion, it seems that if you set a Motion-Sensor Bomb on a surface that is right next to you, and isn't a horizontal surface, you'll take damage from the brief ricochet that happens before it attaches itself. I guess once it hits that wall, it stops being "your thrown item" and will damage anyone indiscriminately. My guess is that the flag for this is set once it touches a surface, which is designed so that someone can set off their own bomb. But with a wall, there's a brief moment when the item is airborne after the wall touch, so anyone who happens to be there will get beaned by it.

Oh, and just to be clear, this isn't a Shulk only thing, it happened when I tried it with Mario, so I assume it happens with any character.

• Thanks 1

Good work @Glen-i, seems this game can still throw new things at us all the time. I'm sure there was something I did and we both started asking what happened over VC about it. Oh yeah, Bayonetta walking up the steps at the end of Mushroomy Kingdom. There was the warp star above them so I just started holding right hoping something would benefit me, and well she just walked up the stairs.

19 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Oh yeah, Bayonetta walking up the steps at the end of Mushroomy Kingdom. There was the warp star above them so I just started holding right hoping something would benefit me, and well she just walked up the stairs.

So, I went and tried this out too. It seems that it's dependant on the character's height. Pichu and Banjo can't do this at all. But bring along Sephiroth, who's a little taller then Bayo, and he walks up the steps even quicker!

Keep in mind, this only works when you're walking. Dashing into the steps will get the usual "bumping into a wall" animation.

• Like 1

Seems like Shulk can't throw over a tiny ledge. :woops:

In other learning new things, Sakurai casually dropped that the DQ3 Hero was going to be the default Hero but they switched in mid-development.

• Like 1