NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

Oh great, KO'd my post right off of the page, gonna post it again, then hide the one on the previous page.

Welp, it's time for another theme night.

It's Rocket Propelled Galaga, right?

There have been far too many RPG's being released over the past few months! I can't keep up with them all! So we're having a night with nothing but RPG characters!

FY6nsxMUYAATKHs?format=jpg&name=large

EDIT: The 3 Mii Fighters are also allowed tonight.

OK, I know the first question, already. Why is Pokémon Trainer the only character from Pokémon? Well, the clarification for that decision is because you don't actually directly control Pokémon in that series, you control the trainer. You can make an argument for some Fire Emblem characters also falling into that (Lucina and Chrom), but I decided against that just so @BowserBasher would have to play 5 FE characters in a row if he went through the roster in order. Yes, I'm a scoundrel.

FY6nsxIUEAA_lL7?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

Saffron City
Pokémon Stadium
Onett
Fourside
Pokémon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
New Pork City
Spear Pillar
Paper Mario
Unova Pokémon League
Prism Tower
Magicant
Arena Ferox
Streetpass Quest
Kalos Pokémon League
Coliseum
Guar Plain
Midgar
Mementos
Yggdrasil's Altar
Garreg Mach Monastery
Northern Cave
Cloud Sea of Alrest
Hollow Bastion

Pretty straightforward picks here, shouldn't have to clarify what's going on here.

FY6nsxDUIAEumMt?format=jpg&name=large

EDIT: The POW Block and Stopwatch are also part of the item list.

Items here are ones that also appear in a RPG at some point. That said, if you're a nerd and notice one I've overlooked, feel free to point it out.
Assist Trophies are the exception here, because what RPG's are mostly about is getting other party members to help you, so it fits in the theme.

Now pay attention, this is important. The format is quite unorthodox.

Format: Stamina, 300 HP, 1 Stock
FS Meter: On

Yes, 1 stock, but you have a lot of HP to compensate. There's no extra lives in RPG's. Well, most of them.

Tonight, 8pm.

Edited by Glen-i

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Items here are ones that also appear in a RPG at some point. That said, if you're a nerd and notice one I've overlooked, feel free to point it out.

Fun game. At a glance, POW block and Stopwatch from the Mario RPGs or perhaps you've other reasons for not highlighting those.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, darksnowman said:

Fun game. At a glance, POW block and Stopwatch from the Mario RPGs or perhaps you've other reasons for not highlighting those.

Oh bugger! POW block does show up in Paper Mario! And I was wondering where the stop watch shows up, but thinking about it, that's also right.

Although, I don't think the one in Smash is meant to be the one from SMB 2/Paper Mario, but it's close enough. I'll add them to the ruleset.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Oh bugger! POW block does show up in Paper Mario! And I was wondering where the stop watch shows up, but thinking about it, that's also right.

Although, I don't think the one in Smash is meant to be the one from SMB 2/Paper Mario, but it's close enough. I'll add them to the ruleset.

That's fair enough--I'm not certain what games Smash draws its items from. Maybe it says somewhere in-game? 

Can't believe you couldn't think up a Digimon theme. It could have done with a bit of the limelight what with Survive being kicked to the curb amidst the summer RPG releases. :( 

11 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Can't believe you couldn't think up a Digimon theme. It could have done with a bit of the limelight what with Survive being kicked to the curb amidst the summer RPG releases. :( 

That game has had such a rough development cycle. Delays all over the place, and then when it finally gets a date, Live A Live comes out a week before, and then Xenoblade 3 moves bloody forward! That series already has enough problems with Pokémon overshadowing it!

Any other time, I would've bought it, but well. I'm not a Digimon fan, really. So it's hard to justify me buying it full price with so many other games. It's on my wishlist, mind, so when it inevitably goes on sale, I might bite.

I was considering a Digimon theme, but I know nothing about the series, so I wouldn't even know where to begin other then "It's Namco's take on Pokémon".
If you want, you can PM me a theme that you think best fits it, and I can use it in the future.

Anyway, it's just dawned on me that I forgot to mention that all 3 Mii Fighters are allowed tonight.

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well, that's never happened before. Open again, @Ike

Were you guys in a match?

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

Were you guys in a match?

No, just stuck on the loading screen. Had to force a disconnection.

Well that was a fun alternative. One mistake costing you to fall to your death ends your game. Also that night couldn't end any other day than it did. Hero (menu) fight, with me and @Glen-i getting and using Kamikaze to kill ourselves. Hope you are happy with that @Ike 😂 

10 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Well that was a fun alternative. One mistake costing you to fall to your death ends your game. Also that night couldn't end any other day than it did. Hero (menu) fight, with me and @Glen-i getting and using Kamikaze to kill ourselves. Hope you are happy with that @Ike 😂 

Nope, it’s very unsatisfying.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I was considering a Digimon theme, but I know nothing about the series, so I wouldn't even know where to begin other then "It's Namco's take on Pokémon".
If you want, you can PM me a theme that you think best fits it, and I can use it in the future.

Thanks for the offer of sending in a guest theme but I'm afraid it'd be the blind leading the blind with that one--all I remember is Digimon, digital monsters. Digimon are the champions! Yup, I only watched a handful of Digimon episodes before ditching it as a Pokémon knockoff. So by that logic, a Digimon theme would mirror a Pokémon theme night. :wtf: 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Might be a tad late tonight.

Yeah I see you're playing another game, traitor! 

Just now, BowserBasher said:

Yeah I see you're playing another game, traitor! 

This cutscene is going on proper long! Boss battles too!

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, BowserBasher said:

Will you be able to add on anytime at the end of Smash for loss of time at the start?

Yeah, seems fair.

• Thanks 1

OK, @Ike and @BowserBasher.

I'm heading online now, I'll keep it going until 10:20, but don't feel you need to stick around for the whole 2 hours if you can't.

• Thanks 1

Great games guys, triple Dark Pit and Triple Yoshi to finish the night, the game always knows.

Triple Daisy on Bright Yellow Mementos has to be one of the most "Is this even random!?" fights to date.

Fun times. @Ike I'm assuming your bit is knowing the fake smash ball but going after it anyway, just like me and @Glen-i can't resist a Kamikaze. (cause surely you must recognise the difference by now)

Some great matches, and probably my most satisfying win in a long time with this match...

• Like 1