NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

30 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

NOOOOOOO. @Ike, @Dcubed you guys in? I know Ike and me had some great 1v1 matches so I'm up for those again. I know DCubed sometimes makes it too.

Sorry, there's just no way this internet connection could handle Smash, I only barely got Mario Kart going.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

NOOOOOOO. @Ike, @Dcubed you guys in? I know Ike and me had some great 1v1 matches so I'm up for those again. I know DCubed sometimes makes it too.

Not tonight I'm afriad, I'm working this evening.

6 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Sure, I'm in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Sure, I'm in.

Cool, we'll go for 8 as normal and will go with Stock if that's OK

Thanks for the games @Ike and @RedShell. Not sure what happened in the middle there when all the stages started being the plain ones. It seemed to reset after RedShell went though. Some great close games there too, and a few one siders. We had our random same character match and it was fitting for ZSS to beat Ridley in that last match,

Fun games!

Ike vs Ike

The longest fight ever!(?]

Zero Suit Samus vs Ridley. The randomiser knew what it was doing.

• Weird 1

12 hours ago, Ike said:

The longest fight ever!(?]

@Glen-i did say take that out of the random list, but to be honest I kinda liked that fight.

4 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

@Glen-i did say take that out of the random list, but to be honest I kinda liked that fight.

Oh no! You didn't!?

Palutena's Temple is the only stage I turn off from the random selection, because it is obscene in how massive it is.

There are plenty of big stages in Smash, but they tend to add an interesting wrinkle to matters. For example, New Pork City has wide blast zones, but gets away with it because there isn't really a place that can save you from a KO. If your damage is high enough, you're losing a stock.

Temple is on the smaller side, but has a "Cave of Life", an area where you can squeak out an extra 30 seconds of life. But the stage is small enough that it stays funny, but doesn't turn obnoxious.

The Great Cave Offensive is arguably larger then Palutena's Temple and is stuffed with Caves of Life, but the danger zones both solves the size issue and flips the Caves of Life into Caves of Death. Ricocheting around that stage is quite dangerous and can quickly rack up the damage, and eventually, the 100% instant KO.

Palutena's Temple has all three of these things, but no Danger Zones, so matches go on forever! It's annoying in 1-on-1, but in bigger matches, it's pretty standard for the people in 3rd and 4th to spend more then 2 minutes waiting for the last two to lose one stock. This happened all the time when I hosted Smash sessions at my community centre, and kids don't like watching forever matches, so I turned that stage off, and I do so here.

It's a good thing that Smash 3DS has a better Kid Icarus: Uprising stage. I can put all the appropriate music there instead.

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Oh no! You didn't!?

Yep. Well I did turn it off first time, but after all that weirdness in the middle when it started picking the flat versions of the stage, I had gone back into the rule settings to se if I did something. Guess I left all stages on. However I do wonder if RedShell had something on for levels as as soon as he had finished we were back to the normal levels and random was back to normal.

I can see the view of it being a bad large stage, but I think we did a good job of not running away from each other and keeping it close. 

20 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Thanks for the games @Ike and @RedShell. Not sure what happened in the middle there when all the stages started being the plain ones. It seemed to reset after RedShell went though. Some great close games there too, and a few one siders. We had our random same character match and it was fitting for ZSS to beat Ridley in that last match,

Pretty sure I just had it set to random, that's what I usually leave it on if custom stages aren't available. ::shrug:

Anyway, cheers for the games. Was cool to play a bit of Smash again.

:peace:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

@Glen-i You hosting tonight?

Sorry, afraid not. Hopefully, I'll be able to resume Smashing next week.

15 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

OK, well I'll host some stamina matches this week for those still interested. @Ike @Dcubed

Yeah, I’m in tonight :hehe:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

OK, well I'll host some stamina matches this week for those still interested. @Ike @Dcubed

You know it.

• Like 1

Right.  You guys make a start, I'll probably be joining in at about 20:30 :hehe:

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

@BowserBasher I can't believe that you fell for the walkoff Final Smash bait twice :laughing:

The first one got me good, that last one I had to try it, I knew what was going to happen but I just had to. It's like Kamikaze, you just have to do it.

Great games tonight though, some very funny stuff.

• Haha 1

A little fun from two weeks ago.

And here is a match from last night between me and @Ike which may have been my favourite close one of the night.

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

And here is a match from last night between me and @Ike which may have been my favourite close one of the night.

That was a funny mirror match. Happened very early on. the randomiser usually gives up later in the night.

• Like 1

Right! I'm back! ...Stop groaning!

Long overdue a theme night, aren't we?

Last time, I utilised @BowserBasher's suggestion and named it "Guns! Guns! Guns!"

Well, I'm sorry to say that it was all just a ploy so I could make the following stupid HIMYM reference. I present to you...

Boats! Boats! Boats!

aA5oZQ.gif

xjrhubA_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Each character here has been the pilot of some kind of boat in their gaming career. For the sake of clarity, when I say "Boat", I mean any vehicle designed to travel over water. And merely being a passenger on a boat doesn't count.

They're not pictured here, but all 3 Mii Fighters are also allowed.

There are some costume restrictions in place:

Bowser Jr. - None of the Koopalings are allowed.

Hero - The DQ11 Hero is not allowed. (That's the default style)

Steve - Steve and Alex are allowed, but Zombie and Enderman are not.

K9GPnHT_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Spoiler

Rainbow Cruise

Jungle Japes

Great Bay

Fountain of Dreams

Corneria

Venom

Delfino Plaza

Halberd

Summit

Pirate Ship

Hanenbow

Paper Mario

Tortimer Island

Balloon Fight

Wuhu Island

PAC-LAND

Midgar

Cloud Sea of Alrest

The stages here consist of those that have water the player can touch, or include boats somehow. For the sake of diversifying the selection more, I allowed spaceships and airships to influence the stage choice here.

The picture above doesn't have Midgar or Paper Mario selected. I overlooked that, but they're selected now. I just can't be bothered reuploading the picture.

Items are the standard set.

Format: Time, 4 minutes

FS Meter: Off

Session starts tonight at 8pm.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You ever laugh so hard, you gave yourself a bit of a headache afterwards?

Yeah, that's me now.

How did I get killed by a balloon!?