NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

Right, by the time next week rolls around, Sora will be available.

So for the last time, we'll be having a New Character session!

Like all the previous ones, anyone who has the second fighter's pass will be highly encouraged to use everyone's favourite kid with clown shoes, so we can get used to how he plays and make many stupid mistakes which will no doubt make for a funny highlight video.

Now, to help differentiate each person from each other in said highlight video, you'll need to claim a Sora costume for yourself, so we can avoid any embarrassing and confusing fashion mishaps. You can see each costume here. Click on the Sora render to cycle through each costume.

Kingdom Hearts 1 - @Glen-i
Kingdom Hearts 2 - @Ike
Dream Drop Distance - @Dcubed
Kingdom Hearts 3 - 
Timeless River - @BowserBasher
KH2 Valour Form -
KH2 Wisdom Form -
KH3 Ultimate Form - @S.C.G

The order of that list matches up with the order on the above site, so if you don't recognise them by name, well, you should be able to figure it out.

Now of course, some of you still don't have the second Fighter's Pass. Don't worry, I'm not here to judge publically, I'm here to provide you alternative options. These characters have some sort of connection to Sora. Some are looser then others, give me a break! I had to make some real stretches with this one!

FBuXcquVIAMsGxD?format=jpg&name=large

Square Enix Characters

Cloud
Hero (DQ3)
Hero (DQ4)
Hero (DQ8)
Hero (DQ11S)

Dog & Duck Buddies

Duck Hunt Duo

Old-school Disney Animation Style

Mii Gunner (Cuphead costume only) - @RedShell

Princesses, but not the Disney kind

Peach
Daisy
Sheik
Zelda
Lucina
Corrin (Female only)

Knock-off Elsa

Rosalina & Luma - @Ugh first aid

Blunt Weapon Wielders

Ness
Ice Climbers
Lucas
King Dedede
Palutena
Banjo & Kazooie

Kirby

Kirby

Stage choice will be limited to mostly Hollow Bastion. If you don't have it, then just choose Random.

Date & Time: Saturday 23rd October - 8pm

So, if you're free then, post quickly before someone else claims the Sora costume/character you want.
(Yes, I'm fully aware that Sephiroth isn't there, but if you have Sephiroth, you'll likely have Sora as well, so you might as well pick Sora)

It's the final new character in Smash Ultimate, so I'm hoping the more weekend-y date will encourage some of the lapsed players among you back for one last go. Don't let me down!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

Oooh pick me! I’ll take Timeless River (that’s the black and white old timey one right). And yay, @Ugh first aid will be here to school us in the ways of Rosalina. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Oooh pick me! I’ll take Timeless River (that’s the black and white old timey one right). And yay, @Ugh first aid will be here to school us in the ways of Rosalina. 

Yep, that's the old-school Disney one.

Honestly, that and the original costume were the only ones I considered using.

The original costume is nice and colourful and fits Smash like a glove, and the Timeless River one is a nice homage to my favourite world in Kingdom Hearts 2, fits in with similar costumes from Kirby and Dedede, and is cool because of the different facial animations.

Wisdom Form is a distant third, I guess.

Edited by Glen-i

Oh yeah, this is happening on Saturday, perfect. :smile:

I'll play as KH3 Ultimate Form as that costume doesn't seem too bad, for what it is.

Though, admitedly... the original costume and Timeless River are the ones which fit in well with SSBU.

But it's an alternative costume, for a character which belongs to a videogame series which I'm not that invested in, partaking in a fighting game, which itself is more of a celebration of videogames in general than anything else, as fun as it can be. So, it's probably best not to overthink these things. ::shrug:

Anyway, new character, in Smash, playing online for the first time since Kazuya was introduced, with the potential for hilarious antics to be witnessed.

What's not to love? :peace:

• Like 2

m64mah9.jpg

Room for one more? :)

I'll be "Cuphead" if so. :hehe:

BTW, I'm not actually resubscribed to Switch Online, just taking advantage of the 7 day free trial specifically to join you guys for this. :grin: So yeah, please don't change the date. :heh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weird 1

Oh right. Before I forget. I'm thinking of starting the night with Stamina and then swapping to Time halfway through at 9-ish.

And yes, this is purely because of the special thing that happens when Sora wins a Stamina match.

I’ll join too since it’s the final character. I’ll take Kingdom Hearts 2, I guess.

• Thanks 1

Might be a couple of minutes late, just bear with me.

EDIT: Room's open now.

Edited by Glen-i

Wait you can throw Electrode?!

Never seen that before, and never tried tbh.

• Haha 2

Thanks to everyone for showing up. That’s possibly the first ever 8 player room we’ve had. @RedShell you may have outdone yourself with the everyone’s here stage. No one expected that. I should be able to record the first one. 
I didn’t win a game but had so much fun. Thanks all. See you Thursday for anyone playing. 

• Thanks 4

OK, this is definitely going to need more then 1 video!

Thanks to everyone who took part, it was proper nutso!

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the games everyone. :smile:

It was great fun playing as Sora, and it really is a fitting end to the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster of characters. :peace:

I can appreciate what has been done here, to incorporate the character, and it clearly shows off the Kingdom Hearts series in a positive light.

Of course, it was great to see battles between various characters as well, with Cloud, Sephiroth, Cuphead, Rosalina, Duck Hunt Duo and of course, dat' dere' Kirbeh!

The custom stages were another highlight as well, especially the Everyone is Here! stage with that cameo at the end, priceless. :D

I did happen to capture moreorless the whole three and three quarter hour session as well, so if that's something anyone would want uploaded unedited let me know, though I think the game comes across better in the excellent and well-edited videos which I'm sure will get posted in here at a later date, so I look forward to seeing those highlights. :)

It was good to have a session on a Saturday as well, typically I don't play many games, but Weds/Thurs are when I usually do, so I'd usually only join for short sessions whenever there has been a new character added, I checked and the last time I played Smash was July 1st... and while Kazuya was a great addition, Sora is definitely fun to play as.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That was a great newcomer party, cheers everyone! :) 
Shame it’s the very last one for Smash Ultimate, but they’ve all been a lot of fun. :cool: 

Glad people enjoyed my custom stage too. :hehe: The fact that it kills all players at the end (making it a lottery as to who wins) is harsh, but undoubtedly amusing. :laughing:

:peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Right, I know @Glen-i video will be up with substantially more content but he can’t get the custom stage ones added, so I took the opportunity to use my capture device to get that @RedShell stage shown. 
But first here’s a little vid from last weeks games. 

And now for the highlight. With a little extra at the start. 

I did win one after all, am I’m taking that win, thanks RedShell. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Are we playing tonight @Glen-i or changing to Saturday as we seemed to get some more people. That’s if those that played can do that again. 

• Thanks 1

Solid session tonight, @Ike and @BowserBasher, pretty balanced win rate all round.

That triple Isabelle match had me second guessing the random character selection process. Just two weeks ago, we had a triple Palutena match because of it.
Is this even random!?

• Like 2

The odds must be very slim considering there's what, 89 characters and 3 of us. 

My theory is, it's based on when you hit A since we hit it at the same time that round.

Great end with the all Isabelle match. We also had a all Captain Falcom match left to random once too 
Fantastic night, @Glen-i, should I apologise for annihilating @Ike with Pyra? Sorry dude, I just seem to be pretty good with her. Didn’t think I was that good though. In fact I think I’ve improved vastly over the years of playing with you guys. Some very close and balanced matches. Highlights coming later. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Sorry dude, I just seem to be pretty good with her. Didn’t think I was that good though. In fact I think I’ve improved vastly over the years of playing with you guys. Some very close and balanced matches. Highlights coming later. 

You are, but I also suck with Cloud since I've never really played as him.

I think I made up for it with the Toon Link match though.

• Like 2