NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

Got a little vid from last night. Not much but captured some fun KO’s on my winning matches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, it's time for the next themed night. It's time for a night based around...

6153_eu-Diddy-Kong-Racing.jpg

It's everyone's favourite racing game that Sega Racing Transformed ripped off!

Now, don't ask how, but I pulled some strings and managed to convince the rest of the playable cast to join Diddy and Banjo in Smash for one night only. I'll tell you, I'm very excited to be... Wait, hold on, getting a phone call.

Yeah, what is it? Uh-huh... What!? How many can't make it? All of them!? But wait, even Conker? He was literally on his way! What do you mean he got drunk and ended up in a Smash 64 mod instead?

No, it's too late to cancel! It's happening tonight! It's fine, I'll make it work!

So, uhhh... This is awkward. Gonna have to change the plans. I'll just have to bring in some substitutes that are just as good, no, they're better then good, who actually wants to play as Bumper anyway?

E9t6q_1VgAQHBhM?format=jpg&name=large

For obvious reasons, Miis aren't allowed. And Random is also not allowed.

E9t6q-XVUAsWt1A?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

Kongo Jungle

Super Happy Tree

Princess Peach's Castle

Rainbow Cruise

Kongo Falls

Jungle Japes

Great Bay

Yoshi's Story

Big Blue

Figure-8 Circuit

Lylat Cruise

Port Town Aero Dive

Smashville

Gerudo Valley

Mute City SNES

Mario Circuit

Pilotwings

Spiral Mountain

Custom Stages - Yes, but limited. I've discussed it with @RedShell and he knows what's allowed.

The stages are based on one of the following criteria: DK stages where Diddy exists, Stages based on racing games, stages specifically from N64 games, and Pilotwings because PLANES!

Like every themed night, please select random as your stage choice and my settings will handle it. And I'll trust Red to use his own judgement for when to take a break with selecting custom stages and switch to random.

Spoiler

E9t6q-WVoAMeb9Q?format=jpg&name=large

Format - Time, 2 minutes.

FS Meter - On

Launch Rate - 1.5x

Most races in DKR last around 2 minutes, hence the format. But to make things more interesting, the launch rate has been increased by 50%. So don't be too surprised if you get KO'd more than you'd expect. (I don't actually know if Launch Rate applies to Online games, so we'll have to find out tonight)

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Custom Stages - Yes, but limited. I've discussed it with @RedShell and he knows what's allowed.

The stages are based on one of the following criteria: DK stages where Diddy exists, Stages based on racing games, stages specifically from N64 games, and Pilotwings because PLANES!

Like every themed night, please select random as your stage choice and my settings will handle it. And I'll trust Red to use his own judgement for when to take a break with selecting custom stages and switch to random.

Yep, my DKR themed stage is ready to roll! :)

It turned out pretty well for a quick stage build. :hehe:

I've also downloaded some custom stages from Smash World that are a good fit for tonight's theme, so I shall be the custom stage DJ. :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love how the night started with Diddy VS Banjo and then ended with the three Rareware characters. Perfection.

Good matches, @BowserBasher, @RedShell and @Vileplume2000. Man, people are really thirsty for a Diddy Kong Racing stage aren't they? Makes me sad Banjo didn't come with a couple of songs from it, being his debut and all.

Yours was the most hilarious though, Red, as expected.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 3

Fun times. Thanks guys. 

Hilarious stages and action tonight. That extra 50% makes a lot of difference and makes things much more hectic. I’m sure many moves did KO’s from 0%. A great number of sudden deaths too. Very close games.  

Edited by BowserBasher
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't it time format last week as well? Anyway, may join again this week as my Thursday night plans are cancelled once more. 

39 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Wasn't it time format last week as well? Anyway, may join again this week as my Thursday night plans are cancelled once more. 

Yes, but that was the theme night. So it'll be 3 minutes with no restrictions and the normal launch rate tonight.

Simply put, I rotate between Time > Stock > Stamina > Theme.

Great fun tonight @RedShell and @Glen-i  fantastic matches some very close. And some great sudden deaths (looking at you, stuck in a small gap stage). Great final match to end the evening too. Two Jigglypuff’s trying to use rest on each other. Bowser and his drop kick still rules. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

And some great sudden deaths (looking at you, stuck in a small gap stage).

Yeah, I also loved the one with Inkling’s bomb. :D Oh- and when I got pushed off stage by a “barrel” as Cloud! :laughing:

Shame I don’t have my capture stuff set up anymore, was some great highlight material in those games.

:peace:

9 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

@RedShell, have you been practicing with Shulk? That was some pretty spectacular movement there!

Great matches regardless!

Cheers. I haven’t, no. Only ever play Smash with you guys on Thursday these days, any other time I’m on is making custom stages. :hehe:

Unfortunately though, that could be the last time I join you for a while (maybe ever :() as my online sub is expiring very soon and I don’t plan to renew it.
While I love the weekly N-E battles, as I already mentioned it’s the only time I play Smash online (and pretty much the only online gaming I do on Switch now) so it really isn’t worth it to remain subscribed for 1 game. :hmm:

If Nintendo announce something appealing to me in the next Direct this will probably change though. :heh:

But yeah, thanks to you and@BowserBasher and everyone else that has played since the game launched, it’s been great fun! :)

:peace:

• Sad 1

Great games last night. Redshells stages still make for some of the best moments as well as the most frustrating. Shame you might not renew the subscription. Definitely won’t be the same on a Thursday. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Great games last night. Redshells stages still make for some of the best moments as well as the most frustrating. Shame you might not renew the subscription. Definitely won’t be the same on a Thursday. 

Thanks, and yeah, those were some unbelievably tense 1v1 custom stage matches we had while @Glen-i was spectating. :hehe:

BTW, I feel as if I should apologies for my antics when playing as Sonic yesterday. :heh: My word that character's neutral B is cheap/broken, and I was spamming it like crazy! :laughing:  How the hell has that move not been nerfed? Even got Glen-i going for counters, which is just unheard of! :D

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RedShell said:

BTW, I feel as if I should apologies for my antics when playing as Sonic yesterday. :heh: My word that character's neutral B is cheap/broken, and I was spamming it like crazy! :laughing:  How the hell has that move not been nerfed? Even got Glen-i going for counters, which is just unheard of! :D

Oh yeah, Sonic is one of the most irritating characters to fight in Ultimate. A lot of his attacks are really safe to attempt because if you miss, chances are he ricochets away from any retaliation. In other words, you annoy the opponent to death. I really wanna punch whoever's bright idea it was to let Sonic activate Neutral B whenever he likes. Impossible to tell when it's coming.

So really, the only way to handle him is with projectiles, but I was Marth, so I had to make do the next best thing, counters.

I don't like using counters. Always been an unsatisfying move with how powerful they are, but against Sonic? It's deserved.

That's not to say that I think all counters are bad, Peach and Daisy's are fine, because the damage is set, and some of the more recent characters have some more reasonable ones. Incineroar has a fun one. It's just an attack boost that can be knocked out of Incineroar if it gets whacked too hard or it takes too long to land an attack. It still takes a little damage as well. On a similar note, Joker's is fine as well. Until he actually gets Arsene, and then it gets silly again, but at least it's temporary.

And then there's Shulk and Bayonetta. I don't mind these ones because it actually fits them quite well, based on the games they come from. They also start getting harder to land if you spam them too much, it's a nice balance.

Anyway, that aside. It's a shame you won't be joining us for Smash shenanigans in the future. I'll miss your custom stages. And while there's nothing wrong with a 1v1, I always think the more players, the better.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

They also start getting harder to land if you spam them too much, it's a nice balance.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

To me it's always seemed a bit unfair how only some characters can counter. Feels like it should be a universal move really.

32 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Anyway, that aside. It's a shame you won't be joining us for Smash shenanigans in the future. I'll miss your custom stages. And while there's nothing wrong with a 1v1, I always think the more players, the better.

Hopefully when the new DLC character arrives it'll generate some more interest and you'll get a few more people joining in. Even though I personally prefer 1v1 (these days) it is unfortunate how few N-E peeps play the game now. :hmm:

Might be worth doing an open/public Battle Arena on Thursday? Although that obviously comes with the usual risks and annoyances, like dodgy Wi-Fi connections. But at least you'll potentially have more players. ::shrug: You and @BowserBasher could team up against some randoms! :grin:

Right, next theme night is here.

The first one I did was based around Smash 64. Well, enough time has passed for me to move on to the next game.

Let's Play Smash Melee

But, you know, without the horrid balance issues, 4:3 ratio and the really muffled announcer.

E_97eDzVQAojoNH?format=jpg&name=large

Character choices are obvious, the first 26 characters in Ultimate's roster (ignoring the echo fighters), Miis aren't allowed and as usual, don't choose random.

E_97eDhVcAMbUlY?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

Battlefield

Final Destination

Kongo Jungle

Super Happy Tree

Dream Land

Princess Peach's Castle

Rainbow Cruise

Kongo Falls

Jungle Japes

Great Bay

Temple

Brinstar

Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Yoshi's Story

Fountain of Dreams

Green Greens

Corneria

Venom

Pokémon Stadium

Onett

Mushroom Kingdom II

Brinstar Depths

Big Blue

Fourside

The stages here are all those that appeared in Melee, including the 3 N64 stages. Yeah, it's a shame that the best Melee stage isn't in Ultimate, but we'll make do. Make sure your stage choice is set to random and my settings will take care of the rest.

E_97eDZVUAM-nSc?format=jpg&name=large

Items are what you'd expect as well.

Format: 4 Stock, 8 minutes

FS Meter: Off

The format is based off of the standard competitive Melee tournament ruleset. Except with items, because real men use items.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes of myself and @Glen-i from Thursday nights smash. Mostly KO’s from the matches with a couple fun bits. The final clip is possibly my best ever comeback and an amazing finish to that match. 

• Like 3

Normally, Time comes after a theme night, but the final character will drop in the near future, so I'm gonna skip over that for now and go straight to Stock.

Tonight, 8pm.

• Thanks 1

Another fun night of Smash with @Glen-i and @Dcubed who joined in for the last 30 minutes or so. 

(Why is it so convoluted just to get the dang link for the video to paste here)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/09/2021 at 7:10 AM, Glen-i said:

Normally, Time comes after a theme night, but the final character will drop in the near future, so I'm gonna skip over that for now and go straight to Stock.

Well, this is awkward... Didn't expect it to be two sessions away...

Uhhhh, so let's just do Time tonight, OK? 8pm.

• Haha 1