NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

34 minutes ago, RedShell said:

@Glen-i, you hosting a battle arena tonight?

Oh bugger! Slipped my mind.

Stock Format tonight at 8pm.

1 hour ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Oh my, wrong smash ball!

Thanks for the win. Lol. 
As always great games got a good set of Home Run hits in that one game. And some very amusing KOs through the evening. 

Great games everyone, cheers! :) 

@Vileplume2000, I felt so guilty when you fell off my custom Miitopia stage during that 1v1 with @Glen-i! You did a really great move to dodge under the logo towards the lower ledges and would’ve survived had I not made those two ungrabbable. :woops: The idea was for that section to be a high risk area, but think I’m going to modify it after seeing that.

It’s funny how I always seem to do better at Smash when I’m not really trying and messing around instead, even when using a character I completely suck with, i.e. Olimar. :laughing:

Anyway, see you lot next time!

:peace:

I also noticed you lifting Great Smash Ball a little, made pulling off an immediate Air Dodge after trampoline manuever more manageable.
Started cracking up laughing when I, as Pikachu, got stuck in a proper death loop though!

God damn! I am truly dreadful with Diddy though. Fast and with decent combo options sounds like my kind of thing, but I just can't! I haven't been good with him since Brawl.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Thanks for the win. Lol. 
As always great games got a good set of Home Run hits in that one game. And some very amusing KOs through the evening. 

That was a good streak, about 3 home runs in a row or something? Knocking it out of the park!

8 hours ago, RedShell said:

@Vileplume2000, I felt so guilty when you fell off my custom Miitopia stage during that 1v1 with @Glen-i! You did a really great move to dodge under the logo towards the lower ledges and would’ve survived had I not made those two ungrabbable. :woops: The idea was for that section to be a high risk area, but think I’m going to modify it after seeing that.

It’s funny how I always seem to do better at Smash when I’m not really trying and messing around instead, even when using a character I completely suck with, i.e. Olimar.

Haha yeah that was tense.

And I know what you mean, didn't expect my win with Jigglypuff. Especially when he has the most useless Final Smash ever on big stages like that. :grin:

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I also noticed you lifting Great Smash Ball a little, made pulling off an immediate Air Dodge after trampoline manuever more manageable.

This almost sounds as if you know what you're doing! I'm mostly just spamming special moves and hoping to survive long enough haha. Seriously though, with the expanded roster of Ultimate I really find myself at a loss sometimes about a characters moveset. I completely forgot what Mega Man's attacks were (like the different ones you get with the variations on the normal attack), and that Palutena had a mean Up Smash I only remembered at the end of the match. But that's what makes random picks fun.

One thing I noted yesterday by the way is how bad I am in picking items up! Somehow I can't get the timing right when running into an item and pressing the button. Guess I should practice more than just the one hour a week. :grin:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

That was a good streak, about 3 home runs in a row or something? Knocking it out of the park!

I was voice chatting with him last night, and the sheer excitement the two of us had in our voice during that was something else! It was spectacular!
Glad I was already dead when he went on that rampage.

25 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

This almost sounds as if you know what you're doing! I'm mostly just spamming special moves and hoping to survive long enough haha. Seriously though, with the expanded roster of Ultimate I really find myself at a loss sometimes about a characters moveset. I completely forgot what Mega Man's attacks were (like the different ones you get with the variations on the normal attack), and that Palutena had a mean Up Smash I only remembered at the end of the match. But that's what makes random picks fun.

Well, when you're aiming to finish Classic 9.9 with every character, you kinda have to learn their quirks or die horribly.

It's why I love Smash. We're at 87 characters now(!?), and it's still managed to maintain that philosophy of simple and uniform control schemes throughout. Sure, there's an initial learning step at the start (How to use Up B to recover, learning the difference between tilting and tapping the stick, etc.), but once you have that down, you can do decently enough with any character.

I mean, there are some more nuances to certain characters (Remember guys, Monado Buster is for racking up damage, Monado Smash is for finishing someone off), but anyone who knows the basics could probably get through Classic Mode on the default difficulty with relatively little effort with anyone.

I've always thought more traditional fighting games were too complex for me to bother learning, Smash covers that for me nicely. It even taught how to pull off a Hadoken in Street Fighter, it's that accessible!

Edited by Glen-i

5 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I was voice chatting with him last night, and the sheer excitement the two of us had in our voice during that was something else! It was spectacular!
Glad I was already dead when he went on that rampage.

That was my moment of the night. It’s great to hit one, but to get three in such a short time like that was amazing. And yeah Both me and Glen were amazed at that. I saved the replay so will be doing something with that soon. 

Right here it is. A little fun from last nights games. Including the mighty Home Run massacre. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Also, bloody hell @RedShell! You work fast!

I take it you’re referring to this?: :grin: 

It’s actually a stage that I’d been making for a while but could never seem to complete. I also wanted to make something related to Game Builder Garage though, so decided to just modify this existing stage rather than make a new one from scratch, and to my surprise it worked out pretty well. :hehe:

Not been able to test it much but it should be perfect for stamina battles. ;)

It also has an unusual mechanic that will almost certainly break certain items, assist trophies and final smash moves, so err… yeah, look forward to that. :laughing: 

:peace:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

That moment almost killed me! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Cheers for the games!

Winning a stamina match through grab pummel is always funny in how anti-climactic it is!

Wii Fit Trainer's looks really odd with the bigger characters.

EDIT: Oh right, before I forget. Really impressed with that one way ceiling you've got going on there! Not quite sure how normal KO's are gonna work, but it's a great stage for stamina!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

EDIT: Oh right, before I forget. Really impressed with that one way ceiling you've got going on there! Not quite sure how normal KO's are gonna work, but it's a great stage for stamina!

Cheers. :) 

Unfortunately we didn’t really see much of the one way ceiling’s shenanigans yesterday (the item that attaches to characters and then carries them up is particularly hilarious/useless on that stage! :D) but yeah, it can definitely produce some fun moments.

As for regular KO’s, it’s actually not too bad (I think :hehe:) as that was one of the objectives I had in mind when creating it. Wanted it to be enclosed (similar to my infinity and Mario Paint data bot stages) but not so much that it then becomes impossible to get launched off screen. It’s obviously impossible to be launched upwards on it, but both sides are actually open (just got to get past that strong wind first ;)) and it’s technically also possible to KO via the 2 pits, as at a high enough damage % characters will be travelling so fast they bypass the warp zones! :laughing:

• Like 1

Oh boy, it's been 4 weeks since the Smash 64 theme! So it's time for another theme! This one is called:

Stars of E3

Simple really, the focus will be on those Smashing characters that showed up in one way or another during Nintendo's E3 Direct on Tuesday.

For the sake of not having half the roster, any Smash footage or the Treehouse afterwards doesn't count.

Tn2yo4Q_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

These are the characters I found during that direct. As well as those lot, Miis are allowed as long as they are not wearing a costume that hides the fact that they are Miis (Cuphead, Bomberman, Sans, Vault Boy, etc.).

Also, please refrain from choosing Random. Otherwise, you'll likely get a character that is not allowed.

Spoiler

Battlefield

Small Battlefield

Big Battlefield

Final Destination

Peach's Castle

Kongo Jungle

Hyrule Castle

Super Happy Tree

Mushroom Kingdom

Princess Peach's Castle

Rainbow Cruise

Kongo Falls

Jungle Japes

Great Bay

Temple

Brinstar

Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Yoshi's Story

Mushroom Kingdom II

Brinstar Depths

Delfino Plaza

Mushroomy Kingdom

Figure-8 Circuit

WarioWare, Inc.

Bridge of Eldin

Norfair

Frigate Orpheon

Yoshi's Island

Luigi's Mansion

Pirate Ship

75 m

Mario Bros.

3D Land

Golden Plains

Paper Mario

Gerudo Valley

Spirit Train

StreetPass Quest

Tomodachi Life

Mushroom Kingdom U

Mario Galaxy

Mario Circuit

Skyloft

Flat Zone X

Gamer

Wuhu Island

Super Mario Maker

New Donk City Hall

Great Plateau Tower

As you can tell, I turned on every stage that shares series with any character that appears above.

Please choose Random for the stage. I have set it so that the random choice will be one of the listed stages, so you don't need to worry about that.

As for @RedShell. You are allowed to use Custom Stages, but I must put some restrictions on you for tonight.

Your stages must be distinctly based on one of the series the characters above come from. (So for example, your Miitopia stage is allowed, but your Game Builder Garage Stage is not) A stage based on E3 is also acceptable if you have made one.

I also must ask you to only choose each stage once. Custom Stages have a tendency to overrule the random choice and we want as much of a variety going as possible.

Spoiler

rkSeLNh_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Format: Time (4 minutes)

FS Meter: On

I'll be opening the room at the usual time of 8pm.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Pokeballs off? Night ruined 🤣 Can’t wait though. should be fun. 

I'm actually a little surprised there was no Pokémon at E3 at all! So blame Nintendo.

Great fun as always. Takeaways from tonight: Bowsers DropKick is still awesome. Ganondorf is a beast. Redshells stages are mental. The Metroid one I’m talking about. And I knew you could hit assist trophies, I didn’t know Bowsers side b would work on them. 

I saved a couple of the matches on the custom stages and will try to get them converted and saved. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BowserBasher said:

And I knew you could hit assist trophies, I didn’t know Bowsers side b would work on them. 

Oh yeah, some Assist Trophies can be grabbed, and that includes moves like Bowser and Ganondorf's Side B.

A general rule of thumb is that if the Assist Trophy moves like an actual character, it can be grabbed. They air dodge too if you try and pull off some combos.

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

@RedShell Zelda isn't allowed

Sorry, I lost track of your theme there for a second, and the image that you posted wasn’t showing up at the time. ::shrug:

But why was Zelda not part of the selection again? :blank: 

10 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Great fun as always. Takeaways from tonight: Bowsers DropKick is still awesome. Ganondorf is a beast. Redshells stages are mental. The Metroid one I’m talking about. And I knew you could hit assist trophies, I didn’t know Bowsers side b would work on them. 

I saved a couple of the matches on the custom stages and will try to get them converted and saved. 

I hope you got that moment when I reflected the chicken. :D Not sure if it was on a custom stage actually. But yeah, I never get the timing right on those sort of things so was pretty pleased with that. :laughing: 

45 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Sorry, I lost track of your theme there for a second, and the image that you posted wasn’t showing up at the time. ::shrug:

I hope you got that moment when I reflected the chicken. :D Not sure if it was on a custom stage actually. But yeah, I never get the timing right on those sort of things so was pretty pleased with that. :laughing: 

I second the Zelda statement. I’m sure she was right at the start of the BotW2 trailer. 

I’ll see if that’s in there, I did wonder why they attacked me. There was one other bit I remember with that scarab beetle thing that flys you away. I’m sure there were like three reflected saves of that thing when it was thrown and I got carried away. 

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

43 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

I second the Zelda statement. I’m sure she was right at the start of the BotW2 trailer. 

Same reason why Young Link and Toon Link were banned.

BotW Zelda isn't the same person as LttP Zelda. I'm very serious about my Zelda Canon!

• Weird 2