NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

Quoting for the new page. (annnd unquoting, so there's not so much to scroll though)

I'll be Alex :D

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

Ah, page break makes a fool out of us all.

I'll be quoting myself, so I can freely edit it here.

On 10/9/2020 at 5:29 AM, Glen-i said:

Apparently, insomnia thinks that being awake from 7am to 1am isn't enough awake time, so I might as well do this now.

Next Thursday, Steve will be released and as with every other DLC character, we'll all be using him way too much.
And also as usual, I'll be making a highlight reel of the night. Because a load of people playing with a character they barely know is a recipe for hilarity.
(I can't stop people from playing as them in the two days before Thursday, but try not to become super expert with them, spoils the hilarity a little if you don't make mistakes)

For the sake of easy identification, it'd be great if each of you declare which version of Steve/Alex you want to use. You can see each costume here.

Steve - 
Tennis Player Steve -
Scottish Steve - @Glen-i
Alex - @S.C.G
Tennis Player Alex - 
Swedish Alex - 
Zombie - @BowserBasher
Enderman - 

Yeah, I'm making the video, I get first dibs. And I will be wearing a kilt.

People who haven't bought the second Fighters Pass

I'm not gonna force people to buy the second Fighters Pass just so they can play, that's not cool. But sticking with the usual random choice will make it hard to tell who you are in the highlight video, so here are some characters that are related to Minecraft in some way. It would also look good for the video in a thematic sense. It'd be great if you non Fighters Pass guys would choose one of these characters to play as for the night.

Customisable Avatar Characters

Mii Fighter - @RedShell
Robin - 
Corrin - 
Inkling - 

Characters from games with world editing aspects.

Mario (Builder outfit only) - 
Villager - 
Isabelle - 

Characters with animations that are designed to look "budget"

Mr Game & Watch - 
Mega Man - @LazyBoy

Character who utillises Minecraft style crafting mechanics

Link - 

Random enemy mook (Like Zombie and Enderman)

Piranha Plant - @Nicktendo

Microsoft-owned character

Banjo & Kazooie - 

Kirby

Kirby - 

So there you have it, it's first come, first serve, so act fast. But I'm gonna mention our N-E regulars @RedShell, @BowserBasher, @S.C.G, @LazyBoy and @Sprout

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to be rocking either Samus or Megaman tonight as I try to come up with a counter. Might try a couple others as well

2 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

I'm going to be rocking either Samus or Megaman tonight as I try to come up with a counter. Might try a couple others as well

Neither of them are on the above list though?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Neither of them are on the above list though?

Oh yeah forgot it was themed. Would you permit me a different character if I can come up with a decent link?

10 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Oh yeah forgot it was themed. Would you permit me a different character if I can come up with a decent link?

I mean, I suppose you can have Mega Man (and Mr. Game & Watch) in a sort of "Budget animation" catagory.

That good for you?

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Mii Fighter for me! :peace:

Fair warning, when I was making my last highlight video, I couldn't use a match where you were sporting your Goemon outfit because I didn't own it. So try to not use a DLC one that I don't have. (Basically anything that's not Sans or Cuphead)

When I next get paid, I'm gonna get that Goemon one though, it's really grown on me.

Edited by Glen-i

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

I mean, I suppose you can have Mega Man (and Mr. Game & Watch) in a sort of "Budget animation" catagory.

That good for you?

I'll take Megaman then. By your criteria G&W is a better fit, but I don't think he'll hold up well against Steve

• Thanks 1

Just now, LazyBoy said:

I'll take Megaman then. By your criteria G&W is a better fit, but I don't think he'll hold up well against Steve

It still works because Mega Man's animations are designed to be very close to the NES games. And so they look charmingly cheap.

• Like 1

Just now, Glen-i said:

Fair warning, when I was making my last highlight video, I couldn't use a match where you were sporting your Goemon outfit because I didn't own it. So try and not use a DLC one that I don't have. (Basically anything that's not Sans or Cuphead)

Oh poo. Was planning on using Bomberman :( (even made a new custom stage to celebrate his arrival as a “playable character”) man, some of the restrictions in the game are infuriating. :hmm: 

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Oh poo. Was planning on using Bomberman :( (even made a new custom stage to celebrate his arrival as a “playable character”) man, some of the restrictions in the game are infuriating. :hmm: 

Oh wait, forgot about Bomberman. Yeah, I got him too. (Gold coins for the win!) Don't worry about that.
Can't use custom stages in videos though. So any matches on there won't be in the vid.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Oh wait, forgot about Bomberman. Yeah, I got him too. Don't worry about that.

Yay! :hehe: 

Still can’t believe that it’s not possible to use replay data with DLC characters that you don’t own though, that is so stupid.

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

When I next get paid, I'm gonna get that Goemon one though, it's really grown on me.

Great! :cool: 

Going slightly off-topic here, but have you ever played any of the Mystical Ninja games? 

4 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yay! :hehe: 

Still can’t believe that it’s not possible to use replay data with DLC characters that you don’t own though, that is so stupid.

No, I'm pretty sure it's only Mii costumes you don't own.

Because of how replays work, (Recreates the button inputs rather than flat out recording the match), it can't use costumes because you don't have that data in your game.
Actual characters, however, still work, because when you download an update, it includes the characters, stages and music, so your version of the game won't crash if you meet up with a Min Min or Steve player.

Mii costumes and custom stages take up much less space than proper characters, so the game can get away with temporairly loading them for each player (This is why loading a custom stage online takes a little longer than a normal stage)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Great! :cool: 

Going slightly off-topic here, but have you ever played any of the Mystical Ninja games? 

I played the first SNES game, charming game, a bit too unforgiving for my liking though. No saving in a SNES game really bothers me.

I've always wanted to play the N64 game though, looks bonkers!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I played the first SNES game, charming game, a bit too unforgiving for my liking though. no saving in a SNES game really bothers me.

I've always wanted to play the N64 game though, looks bonkers!

The first N64 game is one of my all-time faves, and indeed bonkers. :grin: Hope you’ll get the chance to play it sometime. Would be great if Konami did a Goemon collection (similar to the Castlevania and Contra ones) but it’s probably pretty unlikely at this point due to the requirement of additional localisation and their abandonment of the series in general. :sad: 

1 hour ago, LazyBoy said:

I'll have the discord channel open tonight if anyone wants to join

We not using the voice chat on the app?

1 minute ago, LazyBoy said:

Is that what you guys normally do?

It's what me and @BowserBasher does, quicker than setting up a discord, because it recognises when you're in a game that allows voice chat.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

OK, room's open, remember to stick with your chosen character and if you haven't chosen one. Well, try not to clash with someone who has.