NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

Good old Stock Format (Can you tell this is my preferred format?) tonight at 9pm.

So why can’t we have more then four players online? This is the most I’ve ever seen on one of our game nights. 

Damn, @S.C.G That Shulk finish was spectacular!

We've never had 7 people before. Bottom 2 drop out doesn't feel as fluid now. I love it!

• Thanks 2

No worries, I'm off in a second so that should work out better with bottom 2. Fun to play again though, it's been a while!

Is my custom Cuphead stage just completely unplayable online now, or is someone using WiFi? :hmm: 

28 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Is my custom Cuphead stage just completely unplayable online now, or is someone using WiFi? :hmm: 

It does seem to be the only one that's causing issues. Maybe it's just how Custom Stages are, what with 7 people seeing the action.

Ah, Great Smash Ball, the ultimate equaliser!

Fun games, guys. Proper party going on at one point!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Damn, @S.C.G That Shulk finish was spectacular!

We've never had 7 people before. Bottom 2 drop out doesn't feel as fluid now. I love it!

I was pretty happy with that, especially for my first game of the evening... :)

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Ah, Great Smash Ball, the ultimate equaliser!

Fun games, guys. Proper party going on at one point!

...and what a way to finish the evening, that Smash Ball match was priceless. :D

Thanks for the games, everyone. :peace:

• Thanks 1

Good games @Glen-i & @BowserBasher, some real close ones in there too! :) 

Glen-i, those (up tilt?) seemingly infinite combos you often do, how the hell is one supposed to counter them? Or is it just a case of don’t get stuck in one in the first place? :heh: 

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Good games @Glen-i & @BowserBasher, some real close ones in there too! :) 

Glen-i, those (up tilt?) seemingly infinite combos you often do, how the hell is one supposed to counter them? Or is it just a case of don’t get stuck in one in the first place? :heh: 

My sentiments exactly. It’s what annoys me the most, usually cause I can’t do half the same things. 

Fun times guys. I was having a dreadful night and just ended up messing around again. 

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

Ah yeah, I do love me some Up Tilt combos. Not every character can pull it off as reliably as the likes of Mario or Pichu, but if they can, it's a great way to build up damage on any opponents with low damage. (Or in Stamina mode, where low knockback is everywhere)

If you find yourself in one, the only universal way to try and get out of it is to use Directional Influence to force your way out of it.

That sounds complicated, but all you need to do is hold the control stick left or right and you'll eventually get out of it. When you hold a direction while you take a hit, you'll slightly shift in that direction. Just don't swap directions half way through or you'll shuffle your way back into the combo.

It might also help to mash R while holding a direction and if you time it right, you can air dodge out of it. (Careful not to air dodge off the stage by accident though)

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

My sentiments exactly. It’s what annoys me the most, usually cause I can’t do half the same things.

"Up-Tilt, Up-Tilt, Up-B" is one of the easier combos to learn and loads of characters with a quick Up-Tilt can pull it off. It might be worth booting up Training mode and just giving it a go, you'd be surprised how quickly you pick it up. (Just make sure the character can actually do it. Ganondorf is an awful choice, Ryu, Ken and Terry are absolutely amazing at this if you tap the A button)

Honestly, the hardest part for me was to not accidently tilt the stick too fast and do a Smash attack by accident.

Once you've got some practice, fight some low-level CPU's and focus on just landing those combos more than actually winning. Get the hang of it and you can start throwing in some air attacks to mix things up  (That depends on the character a bit though)

Oh, and make sure Tap Jump is turned off. That will help.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Oh, and make sure Tap Jump is turned off. That will help.

It won't, for me at least. :heh:

Yeah, I know... Tap jump is bad, but I've been playing Smash Bros. like that since the N64, the button jumping method is just impossible for me at this point. :shakehead

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

It won't, for me at least. :heh:

Yeah, I know... Tap jump is bad, but I've been playing Smash Bros. like that since the N64, the button jumping method is just impossible for me at this point. :shakehead

I guess that makes sense. I'm just thankful I immediately switched it off back in Brawl.

But button input is the only way you can do a short hop attack. And those are really helpful for hitting people on the ground with an air attack. It also lets you glide along the ground with Peach and Daisy if you hold the stick down, then press the jump button.

Have you or @BowserBasher checked out the Techniques page in the Help menu? There's some great little explanation of various techniques. They even have short clips demonstrating them.

I keep forgetting Shield Cancel Up-Smash is a thing.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

But button input is the only way you can do a short hop attack. And those are really helpful for hitting people on the ground with an air attack.

I do use it for stuff like that, but for regular jumping/recovery I just can’t get my head around anything but tap jump. 

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Have you or @BowserBasher checked out the Techniques page in the Help menu? There's some great little explanation of various techniques. They even have short clips demonstrating them.

Was that always there, or did they patch it in? Anyway, don’t think I have seen those before so will check it out, cheers. :) 

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Was that always there, or did they patch it in? Anyway, don’t think I have seen those before so will check it out, cheers. :) 

Always there, but it gets updated whenever a new character comes around.

That said, the Techniques section does suffer from Smash Menu Syndrome a bit, it's easy to miss.

Oh right, forgot about this.

Won't be able to open up until 9:30-ish. But it'll be Time format.

Hope you guys have checked a look at the Techniques section.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Oh right, forgot about this.

Won't be able to open up until 9:30-ish. But it'll be Time format.

May only get an hour or so from me tonight. I’m back to early starts at work (like 6am early)

Ive been going through the spirits adventure on new game + with a few characters trying stuff out. Getting pretty good with Bayonetta and her combos. 

20 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Huh? What's this?

2 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Huh? What's this?

Press ZR on the menu, go to help, and then Techniques. Bunch of explanations on various techniques, along with short clips demonstrating them.

• Thanks 1

I doubt I'll be able to stay awake for Smash tonight. So I'm gonna give it a miss this week.

Nothing stopping you lot from playing without me, of course.

(Still gonna be there for Mario Kart)