NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 ( Switch Exclusive )

I finally unlocked the Merc with a Mouth!

D_9AwCnU0AAI-F6?format=jpg&name=large

His reveal scene was freaking hilarious. :D 

Its such a shame that the Infinity Stones story is what they've gone with. I suppose it's understandable, given that's what's hot at Marvel at the moment. I mean, they done the same back in the late 90's when the Onslaught event was big in the comics (LOVE that storyline) and he was used as a final boss in one of the Capcom Vs games. 

My team of X-Men is coming together nicely. I've got Wolverine, Deadpool, Nightcrawler and Psylocke now in my squad. I'll probably swap Kurt out for Mags, depending on when he gets unlocked. I was never a fan of the bamfing blue devil.

There's plenty of nods and winks to fans of the Marvel movies and the comics. There's been a few cheeky references which I've enjoyed seeing.

I was listening to this weeks NVC and I had a smile when they were talking about this game. Like me, a few of them also weren't happy with the exclusion of Gambit in this game. Good to see IGN have some staff on site that know what's up. :p 

• Like 2

I finished the game this evening. 

Spoiler

EAA-QECU0AInZUv.jpg

EAA-WUEVAAA9WaY.jpg

EAA-1MbUwAAGiBx.jpg

I had some great sessions on the game during the course of the day. Being able to play with randomers online makes it so much more enjoyable than having to rely on the AI. It's serviceable but when you play with others who know how to time their attacks and are willing to take a step back if they are in trouble it really makes the difference. Shout out to some guy named Thomas who was rocking Ms. Marvel. Him and I took on the last couple of worlds as a team and we seen the credits together. It was nice seeing someone main her as I had yet to see anyone online using her.

Playing online does lead to some issues though. If you jump back into single player then the team you were using didn't get any of the experience that you received. This meant that if you were to try and carry on playing offline with the same characters that you had been using they would be under levelled. Still, the game does a good job of being able to help with this. You unlock XP boxes during the story mode and you can give these to characters to help them to catch up. You can also take part in the Infinity Trials which are a great way to get experience points, even if you just want to level up your main character. I played a few of these trials online and there was one guy who was stupidly over levelled and just demolishing everything in his path. :p 

It was also great to see the developers of the game are on the right side of the Cyclops argument....

EABARcRVAAA6Mp9.jpg

:D 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

When I select co-op and then online, nothing happens?! Am I missing something

Have you started the game yet? You can't play online co-op until you've done the first hour or so.

I'm getting this as soon as I can get out of the house. These twin babies are taking all my time though, but I'll be sure to stack up on some good games while I'm busy. That way I'll have a lot to play when they start to get some more firm and easy routines. 

I bought the two Switch Online coupons as well, which I'll be spending on Astral Chain (god this looks like a GOTY contender) and either Fire Emblem (if the reviews are good), Pokemon Sword or Dragon Quest XI S. 

Back to Marvel Ultimate Alliance: This looks like a chill and laid back game in one of my favorite universes. Is it very 'pick-up-and-play' friendly? I know the online is not, but with the twins sure to be breaking up longer gaming sessions, it would be nice to have a relaxing game I can easily put down when playing single player. 

2 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Back to Marvel Ultimate Alliance: This looks like a chill and laid back game in one of my favorite universes. Is it very 'pick-up-and-play' friendly? I know the online is not, but with the twins sure to be breaking up longer gaming sessions, it would be nice to have a relaxing game I can easily put down when playing single player. 

Yeah, it's a nice relaxing button masher of a game. There's lots of depth to it with the various levelling up systems and gems you can equip but it's not really needed. You can just hack and slash your way to victory if you want.

Playing online is pretty 'pick-up-and-play' friendly as well. You can easily search for a match and drop into or host a game at the last checkpoint you reached. There's also the Infinity Trials to play around with. These are nice bite sized missions that you can quickly jump in for a quick session.

• Thanks 1

@Clownferret, if you're not busy on Friday, do you fancy a session on this?

It's be nice to test the online features for when I write up the N-E review.

Edited by Glen-i

19 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Have you started the game yet? You can't play online co-op until you've done the first hour or so.

Yep discovered this shortly after

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

@Clownferret, if you're not busy on Friday, do you fancy a session on this?

It's be nice to test the online features for when I write up the N-E review.

What time?

Decided to skip this game in the end. The collective reviews suggested that this wasn't really a must play as cool as it looks and I have other games I need to finish or am involved in.

22 hours ago, Clownferret said:

What time?

Whatever's good for you.

I just found out that this game supports voice chat through the mobile app.

I suppose because Nintendo published it, they thought "might as well"

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this