NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Colin Farrell Team Racing Nitro-Fueled 21st June 2019

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Just this morning there was a person who gave of an example of hitting an opponent with an item, using a speed boost power up and the AI still being practically on top of him.

Shame, here's hoping my current experience will be free from this as long as possible :D 

I was set to pick this up too, but the difficulty is meant to really ramp up. I'm not particularly bothered that it becomes harder as the game goes on, but like H-o-T, I do find it frustrating when the AI is built to be in the way no matter what you do. 

I don't want to buy another kart racer and be disappointed after Team Sonic Racing ended up being pretty garbage. 

34 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I was set to pick this up too, but the difficulty is meant to really ramp up. I'm not particularly bothered that it becomes harder as the game goes on, but like H-o-T, I do find it frustrating when the AI is built to be in the way no matter what you do. 

Honestly, along with enemies scaling in JRPGs, this one of my biggest pet peeves in all of gaming. It's such a cheap, lazy and horrible way to design a racing game. If you know the tracks and race perfectly then you should be able to take the trophy but that isn't the case with most kart racers. There's only Sonic All-Star Racing that has done it right and that was by giving the player the option to turn off the rubber banding AI. Baffles me why no other kart racer has done this.

• Like 1

Played this some more and aside from bosses (which kind of makes sense as they are designed to annoy you by dropping items behind them) I don't really see rubber banding...once I'm in first place and can consistently use boost I keep winning with quite a margin ::shrug: 

Maybe it's a different story in hard mode but on normal difficulty it's not an issue for me.

Picked this up just now anyway. 

Went with PS4 version. 

Will have a little play later and post some thoughts. :)

• Haha 1

The drift mechanic isn't the easiest or most intuitive in this game. I always end up drifting the opposite way to what I need to go. 

I also understand the reviewers saying it's frustrating. Three times I've come second in one race now and I need to win it to unlock the next section.

Still, finding it better than Team Sonic Racing so far, but that doesn't take much. :p

• Haha 1

Why are C, T and R not in the correct order in the CTR challenges..? It doesn't make sense 😆

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Beat the second world's boss yesterday.

Still don't understand the complaints about rubber banding in medium difficulty races. ::shrug: Again, bosses do that but they kind of need to because they only drop items behind them. However, I did beat the second boss with a 5 second lead. 
And normal races, as well. As long as I don't fuck up really bad (or get fucked by weapons :D) I usually win by 3-5 seconds.

As expected, the game has had a cracking start in the UK.

Having dominated the charts for the past two summer, Activision is aiming for a hat trick with the chart-topping debut of Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.
The revamped racing game launched at No.1, and enjoyed the second highest week one sales in the history of the franchise (the record-holder, of course, is the N Sane Trilogy).

It's actually the third best launch of the year so far, behind Sony's Days Gone and another remake, Resident Evil 2. It outsold the next biggest game of the week, FIFA 19, by almost eight times as many copies.

Crash Team Racing also far outsold rival title Sonic Team Racing, with more than four times as many copies sold in week one. Interestingly, the audiences differed somewhat -- 66% of Crash buyers are on PS4, while only 40% of Sonic's customers were on Sony's console. However, Switch made up 39% of Sonic Team Racing's launch sales, but only 16% of Crash's.

Activision's racer was one of only two releases that made it into the Top 40 this week, with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night debuting at No.17.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Beat the second world's boss yesterday.

Still don't understand the complaints about rubber banding in medium difficulty races. ::shrug: Again, bosses do that but they kind of need to because they only drop items behind them. However, I did beat the second boss with a 5 second lead. 
And normal races, as well. As long as I don't fuck up really bad (or get fucked by weapons :D) I usually win by 3-5 seconds.

I think I'm happy that I'm not just breezing through everything on my first try. I've certainly felt that I need to get better with drifting to help me win rather than feeling the difficulty is unfair.

I've got as far as you have but have been going back for the CTR challenges and Relics. Going for the Relic in Mystery Cave has perhaps been my biggest challenge so far as my time was a long way off originally but I only just missed out by milliseconds after crucially missing a 1 second box on my final lap so I know I'll make it eventually!

On missing the box, though, does anyone else find things like grabbing the letters or crystals difficult? I'm finding that I have to be way more precise than I'm currently comfortable with..

36 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Going for the Relic in Mystery Cave has perhaps been my biggest challenge so far as my time was a long way off originally but I only just missed out by milliseconds after crucially missing a 1 second box on my final lap so I know I'll make it eventually!

Mystery Cave can kiss my behind. It was the first Relic Race I tried and it took me several attempts to beat it...the following 5 Relic Races? First try :blank: 

37 minutes ago, nekunando said:

does anyone else find things like grabbing the letters or crystals difficult?

Letters yes, crystals not so much. Sometimes it feels like I grabbed a letter but nooooo...apparently I was one pixel off :D 

I finally got drifting down tonight - made up. :)

I actually really enjoy the drifting now I understand how to do it. 

The game looks visually stunning. I also think an adventure mode like this is what Mario Kart severely lacks. There just isn't as much personality in MK when you compare it to something like this. It's easier to play, but there's much bigger reward with this game and it's nice to break away from the usual "come top at the end of 4 races". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aneres11 said:

I finally got drifting down tonight - made up. :)

I actually really enjoy the drifting now I understand how to do it. 

The game looks visually stunning. I also think an adventure mode like this is what Mario Kart severely lacks. There just isn't as much personality in MK when you compare it to something like this. It's easier to play, but there's much bigger reward with this game and it's nice to break away from the usual "come top at the end of 4 races". 

This exactly is what I have always loved about CTR and it's sequel (though I only played the GBA version of it's sequel). Actual single player progression that makes sense AND provides variety in how you progress. Also, boss races. This is one of the best features to be in any kart game and Diddy Kong Racing is the only other notable kart game to actually do this.

I also love how the battle arenas are incorporated into single player mode. You almost never see the battle arenas in Mario Kart unless you play in single player but in this game they task you with collecting all the crystals within a time limit and boy is it hard.

I used to play this game a lot in multiplayer and finally got round to owning it myself, albeit via download, on PS3 back in 2017.

CTR challenges are one of the better side modes that Adventure Mode gives you. Giving all the tracks replayability and a quest for 100% was a good idea and they even incorporated the traditional Mario Kart single player structure as a reward for getting all the tokens.

I still find it sad to see the decline of Mario Kart's single player when they were going in the right direction in terms of single player development but I guess online play forced Nintendo to pull resources into multiplayer more since the idea that people couldn't play multiplayer no longer has any merit to it.

• Like 3

Yeah agreed. 

Mario Kart DS remains my favourite ever MK, one because it was on the best system Nintendo has ever made and two because it had a single player that I actually really enjoyed.

10 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

I also think an adventure mode like this is what Mario Kart severely lacks. 

8 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

This is one of the best features to be in any kart game and Diddy Kong Racing is the only other notable kart game to actually do this.

This is why Mario Kart always falls short for me and why Diddy Kong Racing is still the king. Having a fantastic single player campaign to play through on DKR is something that still hasn't been topped by any Mario Kart in my eyes.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is why Mario Kart always falls short for me and why Diddy Kong Racing is still the king. Having a fantastic single player campaign to play through on DKR is something that still hasn't been topped by any Mario Kart in my eyes.

Yup absolutely agree that DKR is karting king and will never be beaten. 

This game is up there too now, but DKR has better characters. :)

28 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

This game is up there too now, but DKR has better characters. :)

Excuse me?

maxresdefault.jpg

Polar wins. Everything. Always.

And then there's this...

:D Love that movie.

Oh that cheeky thread title  :laughing: 

Edited by drahkon

I just bought this. I was expecting Colin Farrell, but he's nowhere to be found! And I can't ask for a refund! I'm furious!! Somebody here owes me some money. :shakehead :mad:

• Haha 3