NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Fitness Boxing

Did I just create a thread for Fitness Boxing? Yes I did. I'm getting this.

The demo is out now, so you can try it for yourself. I've gotten all the impressions I need from it, so I'll ignore the demo for now and wait for the full game.

I'm not asking for much, I just want a relatively fun workout, or at least a more convenient one. I could use more exercise, and this seems to deliver. I'm getting the impression that overall it's pretty basic (in things like the presentation for example), but I don't mind, as long as I'm getting the exercise.

There's a little gamification going on of course.. The game itself is a pretty basic rhythm game, where they start slow, but then introduce combos (different moves) later. This is great for people who like to exagerate their moves, like in Wii Sports Boxing, you really do have to move. Unlike Arms for example, which is a much more subtle and controlled fighter, and does very little in the way of exercise.

Another part of gamification are the unlocks. You unlock various clothes for your instructor, and yes, Lin (the poster girl and default instructor) is already wearing something more revealing. Before each exercise, the camera spins around the instructor purely to show off her body clothes. Lin has an accent.. It's one of the things that comes across as a bit basic.. But maybe it's deliberate, to stay authentic. Lin is Asian after all. To be honest it's also a bit endearing. That said, this is not a game, or something that requires immersion.. I think this is a perfect example of software that should be dubbed in as many languages as possible. But language options are only English and Japanese.

My biggest worry was if the songs would annoy me, but the good news is they don't. They already removed the biggest threat, the actual vocals. And your instructor keeps commenting through it. So the songs are reduced to background noice. They're really just there as a musical aid to keep your rhythm going.

I suspect another advantage of this is that if you don't have enough room where you normally play your games, you can just move your Switch to a more spacious room and put it in tabletop mode. I haven't tried this myself yet, but since you don't really need much from the screen, I'm sure that would work out.

So yeah. Will this give me that desired sixpack? I don't know. Time will tell. Regardless, it feels like it's a good option if you want more exercise. I'll pre-order this later, and for the first time I'll deliberately go for the digital option, as to me this is utility, and I just want it on my Switch at all times.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Weird 1

I do some boxing training IRL, so I'm up for a bit of extra exercise in between classes. I've downloaded the demo but have a bad back right now so can't try it yet. Thanks for the info on the game functions. I'm pleased to see that it's not over-complicated. "Boxercise" type classes are very simple - mostly throwing high punches, jabs, crosses, hooks and uppercuts in a combo to music. We also use knees, elbows and kicks but I'm guessing the game only covers regular boxing, not kick boxing.

Had a go on the demo. Think this is massively overpriced for what it is though, essentially just 1 mode from Wii Fit. :hmm: 

It plays well enough, although you can still trick the motion controls into registering any type of punch with even the slightest movement of the Joy-Cons. :grin: 

Shame. If this was half the price and didn’t feature a soundtrack made of pure cheese :heh: then I might have considered it.

I tried the demo at the weekend and it seems pretty decent so I'll no doubt buy it. The trial exercises are a bit basic, so hopefully the full version will have more challenging combos that give you a proper workout. It's essentially Wii Fit style boxing with the usual calendar and fitness tracker tools. I think it will do the job nicely but isn't pushing any boundaries. Yes, you can game the system with small joy-con movements, but the only person you'd be cheating is yourself and more importantly your body ;). Playing this makes me realise how much I miss Wii Sports.

• Like 1

Get it while you can! The original Fitness Boxing is being de-listed.

The good news is though, Fitness Boxing 2 and Fitness Boxing Fist of the North Star will remain. And also, ANOTHER entry has been revealed!

https://www.n-europe.com/news/hatsune-miku-fitness-boxing-announced-for-nintendo-switch/

It's becoming quite the thing! I hope they continue to lean in to more weird collaborations. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

On 01/09/2023 at 5:56 PM, Josh64 said:

Get it while you can! The original Fitness Boxing is being de-listed.

Is there a good reason to get this if I already have the second one?

3 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

I only have the first because I heard the second isn't much different so I assume it works the same way round. Unless there's a particular knock off version of a song you want to hear I imagine you'll be fine with just the second. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

Not really.  As Ashley mentioned, the 1st and 2nd games are very similar.  Just the music between both is different, so you may as well dig into the 2nd.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this