NEurope
Sméagol

Pokémon Trading

Edit:

UPDATE - I'll update this thread for general Pokémon trading. Once I know the details, I'll update this post. For now: Just add info on what game (and version) you have along with the rest.

###################

Original post:

For those who already know how to do it, just post the following:

Character name
Your character's name (for identification, as your character's name gets used while trading, potentially leading to some confusement if it's not similar to your forum name)

Have
Pokémon

Want
Pokémon

Passcode
Pokémon Pokémon / Pokémon

(Optional) General availability or specific Date / Time
Date and / or time when you're available, unless you are already about to trade.

Then you have to (probably) reiterate this when you're actually about to trade, since you need to have exact timing.. Explained below.

I thought this warrants it's own thread.

Why do you want to trade?

1] To get the exclusive Pokémon from the other version if you only bought one version (like a normal person :p), listed below:

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! exclusives

• (Alolan) Sandshrew / (Alolan) Sandslash
  • Oddish / Gloom / @Vileplume2000
  • Mankey / Primeape
  • Growlithe
  • (Alolan) Grimer / (Alolan) Muk
  • Scyther

Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! exclusives

• Ekans / Arbok
  • (Alolan) Vulpix / (Alolan) Ninetales
  • (Alolan) Meowth / Alolan Persian
  • Bellsprout / Weepinbell / Victreebell
  • Koffing / Weezing
  • Pinsir

Note that the (Kanto) evolutions of Growlithe and Meowth are actually obtainable in the other versions.

More on Alola forms below.

2] To evolve the following Pokémon:

• Kadrabra > Alakazam
  • Machoke > Machamp
  • (Alolan) Graveler > (Alolan) Golem
  • Haunter > Gengar

I found out you can't actually stop these evolution like you normally can (in case you want to trade them back and see the evolution for yourself).

3] To get the Pokémon you didn't choose. You can only get one of either:

• Omanyte or Kabuto
  • Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan

There are two instance in the game where you get a Pokémon, but have to choose between one or the other. You'll have to trade to get the other one. Omanyte and Kabuto can both evolve, keep that in mind.

4] To get Pokémon from the mobile game Pokémon Go if you can't or refuse to play that game.

These include the Alola forms, although I'm googling this right now, and apparently most of them are included in-game. The exceptions are (like already noted above):

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! exclusives

• Alolan Sandshrew / Alolan Sandslash
  • Alolan Grimer / Alolan Muk

Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! exclusives

• Alolan Vulpix / Alolan Ninetales
  • Alolan Meowth / Alolan Persian

Then of course there are the two actually new Pokémon, introduced in Pokémon Go.

• Meltan
  • Melmetal

If you don't play the mobile game, then the only way to get them so far is to trade for them.

Note that you can't evolve a Meltan into Melmetal in Pokémon: Let's Go!, you actually need to do this in a specific (and from what I've heard cumbersome) way in Pokémon Go itself. So without the mobile game, you'll need to trade for both.

These last two particularly are a pain, so I hope they'll hand them out as mystery gifts in the future.

How do you trade?

The process is simple, too simple in fact, making it hard to actually set up trades with people you know. The benefit of it is that you can probably get most of what you want incredibly easily with random people. But the process is as follows:

• Go into the menu, and select communicate. Nearby for local and Far away for internet obviously.
  • Then form a password by selecting 3 Pokémon icons.
  • The other player has to do the same and match the password.
  • Then you're matched (if the password matches), and then you both select a Pokémon to offer, then confirm. You can repeat this until you cancel the trade.

That's it. It doesn't use your friendlist, and doesn't ask for anything else, increasing the chance you end up with random people instead. That's why the timing is important, you'll both need to send the same password at the same time for the biggest chance to actually end up with each other. Also, you are both identified by your character name, so keep that in mind.

Fun with random people

You can also try to get what you want from random people. Some tips:

• Just select 3  Pikachu icons. You'll end up with someone right away. You can mix it up with other icons from the top row (or even just totally random icons), if you want more trades with different people.
  • You can see what your trade partner is currently selecting / offering, and vice versa. While you can't communicate what you want, you can let them know what you already have.
  • It's useful to set your Pokébox sorting on first catched. Since your partner Pokémon will then be the first selection, your trade partner will immediately know what version of the game you have, and if it's any use to continue the trade.
  • In my experience most people doing this will have completed the game (or are in late-game at the very least). A few of them were interested in the evolution trades, so keep Kadabras, Machamps, Golems and Haunters ready. Also just try any rarish Pokémon you don't want to use. I traded my Hitmonlee for a Hitmonchan in a random trade. I've also traded a couple of Alola exclusives.
Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks to @Hero-of-Time & @markderoos for the trades!

I think I have all of the non-evolved normal ones, I mostly want a meltan and the two Alolan exclusives now, and the evolution trades when I'm ready.

For now I'll stock up on my exclusives.

Character name
Emily

Have (at the moment)
Bellsprouts / Meowths / tons of (Alolan) Vulpixes / Ekans / a few spare original starters / spare Kadabra

Want
Meltan / Alolan Grimer / Alolan Sandshrew / Kabuto / Anything not yet in my Pokédex, which currently is still plenty

Passcode
Jigglypuff / Diglett / Jigglypuff

Almost whenever (but preferrably in the evening)

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

Character name
Mark

Have
Oddish, Growlithe, Sandshrew and more

Want
Koffing x2, Alolan Vulpix x2, Alolan Meowth x2, Pinsir, Omanyte x2, Meltan, Melmetal

Passcode
Pidgey / Diglett / Jigglypuff

Most evenings from 7pm

Edited by markderoos
Traded a bunch with @Smeagol, thnx buddy!

I’ll get this in for,when I get more. 

Character name

Simon

Have

Bellsprout (will have more Eevee exclusives later)

want

Pikachu exclusives

Availiable most evenings after 10 pm. 

• Like 1

I found the vulpix trader, so I have a few alolan Vulpixes available. Also 2 spare charmanders. And a spare caught Kadabra which I'm not using myself (I'll train an Abra from the ground up).

I'm still grinding away on leveling up via catching Chanseys and now have a perfect one in my possession. 

DsmDTcrVsAAX-qa?format=jpg

Who wants it? First to reply can have it.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm still grinding away on leveling up via catching Chanseys and now have a perfect one in my possession. 

DsmDTcrVsAAX-qa?format=jpg

Who wants it? First to reply can have it.

I do!

Hah! That threw a spanner in your works.

I do!
Hah! That threw a spanner in your works.
More like a spanner in your works.

You've just entered into a legally binding contract where you HAVE to take his Chansey.

• Haha 4

Updated the OP.. Forgot about the "choose one of these two" Pokémon. Also added some tips to trade with strangers. In fact I traded my Hitmonlee for a Hitmonchan with a stranger, so score! I don't intend to use either. But I added the Kabuto on my wishlist, seeing as I have the other fossil. I also have tons of (Alola) Vulpixes now. I'm giving them away, don't even need anything particular in return if you don't have anything missing in my Pokédex.

Why is this so fucking awkward? Why do I have to communicate with other trainers by interpretive dance? Why isn't there any way of letting them know what each other wants? I spent about an hour matching with randomers, and still only managed to get a few of the ones I need.

5 minutes ago, bob said:

Why is this so fucking awkward? Why do I have to communicate with other trainers by interpretive dance? Why isn't there any way of letting them know what each other wants? I spent about an hour matching with randomers, and still only managed to get a few of the ones I need.

Hence this thread.

As for the reason? I think this way they try to force the social aspect, and somewhat drive a few more sales that way. It's simple to simply automate this kind of trading system.. But this would completely make the two different versions and the trading itself pointless. They could remove it altogether and simply have all the Pokémon available in one game version.. But this decreases the engagement a player has with the game.

But there is no social aspect. Why let you trade with randomers at all in that case? I can't speak to them, I can't thank them afterwards, I can't befriend them.

I worked out that some people nickname their pokemon to the one they want (some guy was after a shiny articuno apparently - good luck buddy), but this is a workaround, and isn't that easy to use either.

23 minutes ago, bob said:

But there is no social aspect. Why let you trade with randomers at all in that case? I can't speak to them, I can't thank them afterwards, I can't befriend them.

I worked out that some people nickname their pokemon to the one they want (some guy was after a shiny articuno apparently - good luck buddy), but this is a workaround, and isn't that easy to use either.

No there is a social aspect, and no it's not easy to trade with strangers. But it's nice to have the option. And some decisions are a bit baffling yes, I don't know why passwords are too simple for their own good, and you can't just invite people from your friendlist to trade.

But you can invite friends by other means to trade (or battle), like this thread here (don't forget local). Then you can set-up a trade the way you want it, despite some of the hassles.

Personally I see the ability to trade with strangers as a nice bonus. Like a little minigame. I had fun with it trying to get something I wanted from it.

But yeah, there's no excuse for them to not implement a better method in the next game.

I've tried (for about three hours) to find trades among strangers, but they're all either Pikachu owners or complete morons (why do they just sit there showing off their lvl 100 Mewtwo? Do they want to trade him? I don't get it!).

So I'm here to bother you guys. Is anyone with Eevee around sometime tonight to trade a Meowth, and an Ekans?

48 minutes ago, bob said:

So I'm here to bother you guys. Is anyone with Eevee around sometime tonight to trade a Meowth, and an Ekans?

If that's all you wanted, you could have just posted that here, and you could have gotten them some time ago. :indeed:

I have plans tonight, but if you're online around midnight.. Otherwise I''m online tomorrow evening.

If that's all you wanted, you could have just posted that here, and you could have gotten them some time ago. :indeed:
I have plans tonight, but if you're online around midnight.. Otherwise I''m online tomorrow evening.
Thanks for the offer, but I won't around after midnight, or tomorrow.

7 hours ago, bob said:

If I had seen this earlier I could have got you them. I’ll keep the ones I have though and if you have time some other time to trade I have Eevee version to trade with you. 

8 hours ago, bob said:
8 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Thanks for the offer, but I won't around after midnight, or tomorrow.

I'm also most likely at home Sunday evening.

Anyone want to trade/give me a Kadabra and Graveler?

Edited by Tales

I think I have spares of both of those. I'll check tonight.

Edit:

Yeah I have one spare Kadabra and 2 spare Gravelers, but no Alolan Gravelers in case you wanted one (only Alolan Geodudes). @Tales

Edited by Sméagol

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I think I have spares of both of those. I'll check tonight.

Edit:

Yeah I have one spare Kadabra and 2 spare Gravelers, but no Alolan Gravelers in case you wanted one (only Alolan Geodudes). @Tales

What level is the Kadabra? My team is around lv 23 +/- a couple levels. Regular Graveler is fine thanks.

I can start up the game now if it's fine.

I didn't check its level. But regardless, it's the only spare I have.. But I'll boot it up again.

It's 26.

When you're ready, I'll use password ratata / jigglpuff / diglet.

Standing by.

Edit: Also, we weren't friends already? :eek:

Edited by Sméagol