NEurope
Sméagol

Pokémon Trading

I'll trade my Kadabra back and forth if that's okay. I'll input the code 30 seconds from now.

edit: I guess you're not Emily :p Ready?

Edited by Tales

oh....Try again then....:p

Yes, graveler is fine. It needs to be traded to evolve right?

It's searching for player again.

Not sure how this works? Should I just let it keep searching or do we need to time it exactly?

Edited by Tales

Lets try a different password, because I'm getting randomers. Don't cancel this time. :p

In a few seconds after posting, i'll try jigglypuff / charmander / eevee.

Edit: you there @Tales?

Edited by Sméagol

Just now, Tales said:

I'm here. It just keeps searching for me.

Are you trying the new code jigglypuff / charmander / eevee?

Yes I am. What a stupid online system this is btw.

Edited by Tales

Yeah, you should have read the OP :p

But ehh it keeps searching for me as well now. I dunno what the problem is.

Try a new one: ratata / caterpie / pidgey.

I'll start in a few seconds.

No, at least not with the current password. Are you sure you're inputting the correct password?

Edited by Sméagol

Ehm.. It wants to learn a new move, what do you want?

(Calm Mind)

@Tales

Edited by Sméagol

I don't remember what that does :p Just get rid of the most useless move I guess. You decide.

Edited by Tales

I traded traded in Kinesis. I hope that works out for you.. :p

Anything else?

Edited by Sméagol

Thanks for the help :)

Sorry for the trouble, I solved the connection issue by exiting to the game and try again, so either something bugged out or I was searching for local players... :p

That's fine for now thanks, just wanted to use some of my favourite Pokemons. Don't think I will be bothering with completing the Pokedex.

Edited by Tales

That or our timing was constantly off.

But yeah, personally my most wanted feature would be to be able to invite people from your friendlist to trade / battle.

My free online subscription ran out just before Christmas, with two pokemon still to get, so it didn't look like I'll be completing my Pokédex either.

Such a shame, the online trading system ruins an otherwise brilliant game.

• Sad 1

I'll update this thread to include Sword and Shield trading. I'll update the OP properly once I know the details.

• Thanks 1

OK, so after messing with the trading. I think I can put together a step by step on how to trade in this game.

1. Progress through the story until you receive the Dynamax Band.

2. Open the Y-Comm by pressing Y.

3. Press + to connect to the internet.

4. Select "Link Trade"

5. In order to guarantee you trade with the right person, select "Set Link Code". Make sure both trainers know which code you're using.

6. Once both trainers have set the same code, wait on the overworld until the trade starts.

That should be all you need.

@RedShell I have your Pikachu, when you're ready to trade, give me a heads-up.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

@RedShell I have your Pikachu, when you're ready to trade, give me a heads-up.

Thanks. :)

I’ve not unlocked the ability to trade yet, but will let you know when I do.

20 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Thanks. :)

I’ve not unlocked the ability to trade yet, but will let you know when I do.

Well, I think I'm gonna get some sleep, so if you're not ready yet, I'll wait until this evening.

I'll tell you when I'm awake again.

Oh right, the Pikachu is female, so if you want to nickname it, let me know. Because I'm the Original Trainer, only I can change its name.

Edited by Glen-i

45 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well, I think I'm gonna get some sleep, so if you're not ready yet, I'll wait until this evening.

I'll tell you when I'm awake again.

Oh right, the Pikachu is female, so if you want to nickname it, let me know. Because I'm the Original Trainer, only I can change its name.

Yeah, won’t be until this evening.

Don’t worry about the name, I’ve actually turned off the nickname feature in my copy of Shield as I’d always spend way too long trying to come up with names in previous Pokémon games, so I’ve decided not to mess with that at all this time. :hehe: 

Hmm, so going by how trading works in this game, I take it that both trainers need to be online at the same time in order for it to work?

I was toying with the idea of starting on Sword version and loading up Shield version, getting to the right point for trading, getting a different starter, starting again etc...

I take it that I wouldn't be able to trade with myself on the same Switch using the same user on the Switch, just between the different versions?

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Hmm, so going by how trading works in this game, I take it that both trainers need to be online at the same time in order for it to work?

I was toying with the idea of starting on Sword version and loading up Shield version, getting to the right point for trading, getting a different starter, starting again etc...

I take it that I wouldn't be able to trade with myself on the same Switch using the same user on the Switch, just between the different versions?

Sorry, you can't trade with yourself unless you have 2 Switches.

If you want, I can look after your starters while you restart the game. It takes a while, but it will let you have all three. You can easily use discord to tell me when you're ready for a trade.

Oh, and @RedShell. I'm awake now, let me know when you can take your smelly, fat Pikachu.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Sorry, you can't trade with yourself unless you have 2 Switches.

If you want, I can look after your starters while you restart the game. It takes a while, but it will let you have all three. You can easily use discord to tell me when you're ready for a trade.

Ah right, I thought that might be the case.

If you could do that for me, that would be awesome thanks :) I was thinking about doing it a few times depending on how long it takes until you can get to the bit where you can trade.

I got the Dual pack and was going to start Sword with the intention of using Shield which is technically my brothers copy but he won't need it until he has his Switch later this year.

So I was thinking that I was going to choose Grookey, he'd probably choose Scorbunny so that would mean I'd need to reset around four times on Shield to get another Grookey and Scorbunny plus two Sobbles, then transfer them to my copy of Sword and then I'd trade him the other two when he starts his game for real.

I'd also do some extra restarts if either yourself, Dean or Hazel wanted any of the extra starters as well? (Unless you've got your own arrangements of how to get all three starters) I'm just thinking of the time it would take as I know you'll be wanting to progress through the game but if it's not too much trouble and if I can do that later or over the weekend at times which suit you then that would be much appreciated. :peace:

19 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'd also do some extra restarts if either yourself, Dean or Hazel wanted any of the extra starters as well? (Unless you've got your own arrangements of how to get all three starters) I'm just thinking of the time it would take as I know you'll be wanting to progress through the game but if it's not too much trouble and if I can do that later or over the weekend at times which suit you then that would be much appreciated. :peace:

Yeah... We've already done that. Got all three starters. So no need to do that.

If you're going to do multiple playthroughs. I recommend going to the options, setting Text Speed to fast, turning Battle effects off and turning on the option to skip movies. Helps save some time.

If your brother isn't getting his Switch for a while, it might be better waiting until I can start breeding Pokémon. Trust me, it'll be quicker and you'll only have to restart twice.

• Thanks 1