NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pestneb

board games

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for a new board game?

I'm getting bored of the games we have around (well.. just want  bit more variety really)
Got Monopoly and Hotel Tycoon, Scotland Yard, Cluedo, Risk, Cranium Rummikub (well..basically) trinominoes, 1000 bornes, Yams (dice game, not sure of the name in English) and Uno.

I think I'd like another game along the lines of monopoly/hotel tycoon, for the way the board develops but most of the games I've found that look like they may be a bit like that either need 3 players or have rules convuluted enough (on the explanation on the back of the box) that I'm not really willing throwing cash their way. I like the cluedo deducing aspects too (not too keen on just how luck based monopoly and tycoon can be, games can be horrible, even as the winner often)
Mainly I want something fresh. I may just give up and try creating one from scratch myself

2 hours ago, Pestneb said:

I think I'd like another game along the lines of monopoly/hotel tycoon, for the way the board develops but most of the games I've found that look like they may be a bit like that either need 3 players or have rules convuluted enough (on the explanation on the back of the box) that I'm not really willing throwing cash their way. I like the cluedo deducing aspects too (not too keen on just how luck based monopoly and tycoon can be, games can be horrible, even as the winner often)
Mainly I want something fresh. I may just give up and try creating one from scratch myself

Do these have to be 2 player minimum games then?

If you want something which builds up in front of you, you can't go wrong with Mouse Trap (original, not the watered down remake)

Or something more serious, Pandemic sounds like something you may enjoy.

Tsuro is good and simple too.

Warhammer route: Space Hulk, Shadespire/Nightvault and Blood Bowl.

@Cube - Let's help a homie out.

• Thanks 1

mostly yeah, I have lots of 2 player opportunities, but last time I played with more than 2 of us was last Christmas, and that wasn't an occassion where I'd bring my own board game either.

We've ordered in the baker street game.. tbh I wasn't too keen on it, because it sounds like Cluedo, and I'm pretty poor at cluedo (basically I generally figure out 2 parts and either have just figured out the last part/narrowed it down to two, when someone pips me to the post!:D) But it looks like it might be a bit more fun, and maybe I'll get a bit better with that kind of game!

Edited by Pestneb

Legacy and story based games may be your kind of  thing.

Pandemic Legacy has an evolving board across multiple games, rules change as you progress though the story. It's a great experience if you're playing with the same people. The only downside is that in between 12-24 games, you've completed it and it's not really something you play again.

Time Stories is a lot of fun. It's a massive mystery to solve, one you probably won't succeed first time. The game is in a time-travel setting so the theme is essentially you try again with better knowledge - so you know which locations to go and who to interact with. The puzzle is completing it in the number of turns you're allowed. There are a load of extra missions to buy for it.

As for more repayable board games, here are a bunch that are easily available that work with two

Pandemic or Thunderbirds: Both co-op games where you're working together to save the world. Either curing diseases or saving the world form The Hood. Both are good, although I prefer Thunrderbirds.

Raiders of the North Sea has you gathering resources and gathering a viking crew before raiding villages for plunder. Works great with 2 to 4 without needing rules changing for 2.

Ticket to Ride: Europe is one of the main gateway games to modern games, building train routes so it fits in with the "board growing" aspect. There is a fair amount of luck involved, though. There are other maps - Nordic is the one which is designed for two players for a tighter game (but you need the base game or Europe).

Great Western Trail is a big game which has you navigating spaces on a map, which you can build onto, while having multiple other ways to score points. There's also very little luck involved - no dice rolling or drawing random cards.

7 Wonders Duel is a two player version of a popular game, gathering resources to build better cards on future turns. Lots of back and forth.

Quadropolis is a city building game. Different buildings score points on different ways. If you get it, I recommend jumping straight to expert mode (classic mode isn't as fun). Works great with 2 players.

Codenames Duet is a game where you have a grid of words, and have to take turns giving clues to certain words (given to you by a card). It's got the problem solving element, and you're working off each other (it's co-op).

Isle of Skye is an auction of sorts (you price stuff behind a screen, based on how much you think the other player wants it) where you buy tiles to attach to your personal area. There are loads of different scoring types (4 are picked at the start of each game, making it varied). It's one of my favourite games.

Kingdomino is a surprisingly simple yet fun tile-laying game. Actually better with 2 players as you get to build a bigger area.

Onitama is a very quick game, a bit like chess. It's very addictive though. 

• Thanks 1

Here's some simple-ish games I like that haven't been listed. I cba to write about them :p but you can google and see if they're for you

Power Station

Settlers of Catan

Munchkin

Takenoko

And I'm not sure what defines a board game but there's The Resistance/Coup which are basically Mafia in a box but need more than a couple of people.

• Thanks 1

Boss Monster is a great game that works for 2-4 players. It scales for the number of players and it works great. 

Can vouch for Ticket to Ride as well. The Northic edition is best for 2 players but don't know if that is available to you. I find the other boards rather big for two players. 

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this