NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Sony skipping E3 2019

This has just popped up over on Era.

If this is indeed true then E3 is pretty much done for me. What with Nintendo doing video presentations and now this, it feels like E3's days are numbered. 

• Thanks 2

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community," the company told Game Informer in a statement. "PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

Looks like they are going the Nintendo Direct/Inside Xbox route.

• Thanks 1

It's going to be interesting how Microsoft respond to this. If they have Scarlett ready for next year then they will have huge opportunity and free reign to promote their new console.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's going to be interesting how Microsoft respond to this. If they have Scarlett ready for next year then they will have huge opportunity and free reign to promote their new console.

Indeed! I honestly expected Sony to push for a 2019 release for PS5; figured that they would want to strike before Switch gains a foothold (and has a chance to get a Switch Pro model ready), before Xbox has a chance to retaliate with Scarlett and to get it out in time for the PlayStation brand’s 25th anniversary.

They’re losing ground to their competitors right now... I can’t help but feel that waiting to strike with PS5 is a mistake...

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Indeed! I honestly expected Sony to push for a 2019 release for PS5; figured that they would want to strike before Switch gains a foothold (and has a chance to get a Switch Pro model ready), before Xbox has a chance to retaliate with Scarlett and to get it out in time for the PlayStation brand’s 25th anniversary.

They’re losing ground to their competitors right now... I can’t help but feel that waiting to strike with PS5 is a mistake...

I wouldn't say they are losing ground. The PS4 is still selling stupidly well and will continue to do so this Christmas. It's the likes of gaming enthusiast forums where the impact is being felt. The mass market will probably not know or care.

Sony are in a fortunate position of being well ahead of Microsoft and are probably happy to sit back a bit and just wait and see their rivals hand. However, it could bite them in the butt if they aren't careful.

Good news is that maybe Final Fantasy VII Remake may finally be ready for the PS5 launch...maybe. :p 

Wow, that came out of absolutely nowhere and developed very quickly. What an interesting decision! 

First no PSX next month, and now no E3 next summer...

19 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Confirmed by Gameinformer!

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/11/15/sony-interactive-entertainment-is-not-attending-e3-in-2019

So much for PS5 coming out next year... what a way to celebrate Playstation’s 25th anniversary!

Honestly, I’m not even sure what to think at this point. I was starting to lean towards it coming next year funnily enough, and then this happens! 

On the one hand, I think that this all but confirms that they’ve (unsurprisingly) revealed all of the remaining big hitters for the PS4 — which surely means that the PS5 can’t be too far behind. And I really don’t know why you’d skip E3 if you were releasing a console that same year...

...but if the PS5 is a jump in the same way that the PS4 Pro was, and assuming it will have backwards compatibility and all of that up-ressing (yay, real 4K), could it be possible that they might be depending on cross-generation big hitters to actually begin the PS5’s life? I suppose that it wouldn’t exactly break any sales records if that was their plan, but it wouldn’t slow down the PS4’s sales numbers as much as such a radical shift in gear and marketing could. That’s not to say that I expect it next year — just spitballing over here :p 

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That’s a great point. 

Though, this just seems really odd. Like, way, way too odd. 

This might be a bit crazy for me to suggest, but do you guys perhaps think that they might have seen how Nintendo dealt with the announcement-to-launch of the Switch? I feel like a reveal late next year, in the hypothetical release window of the Scarlet, at an earlier-than-usual PSX, could quickly turn things in their favour — and from PlayStation’s storied past, it’s clear that they’re not at all afraid of letting others go first. Not only that, but it wouldn’t give them the potential manufacturing and shipping problems that a Christmas release most likely would, and if the planned big hitters for PS4 are going to be utilised in the PS5 launch, it could give them the time that they need to really focus in on those games. 

So maybe a PS5 reveal late next year, and a launch in early 2020? I don’t think that would hurt them too much — assuming, as @Hero-of-Time said, that they won’t be getting bit in the ass with the quality of the PS5 if they are letting Microsoft make the first move.

Yeah, still spitballing over here :p 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

This is great news for Nintendo in particular BTW.  It means that their chances of having strong, ongoing 3rd party support for the Switch ecosystem just skyrocketed!

If PS5 (and presumably Xbox Scarlett) isn’t going to be ready until late 2020 now; then that means that not only will the current Switch keep getting 3rd party support until then (and increasingly strong support too), it also means that Nintendo now have time to get the Switch Pro/2 ready in time for those consoles! They can now put out Switch hardware at the same time that will be able to take on ports from those machines!

They must be cracking open the bubbly at NCL HQ right now!

Edited by Dcubed

You think a Switch Pro will be able to get ports from of PS5 and Scarlett games? It would take a hell of a hefty power bump. I mean, a normal Switch can't even run the likes of Doom or Wolfenstein without considerable cutbacks.

I've just thought, I'll no longer have to get up at stupid o' clock in the morning to watch Sony's conference! Win! :D 

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You think a Switch Pro will be able to get ports from of PS5 and Scarlett games? It would take a hell of a hefty power bump. I mean, a normal Switch can't even run the likes of Doom or Wolfenstein without considerable cutbacks.

Switch will be basically 4 years old by then, while N-Vidia will have Orin Tegra units out by 2020 too (if not, then certainly Xavier).

It will probably not run in 4K, but it should be able to take downports like the current Switch can!

Edited by Dcubed

It's a pretty odd decision, even if they don't go all in on PS5 I'd have thought Sony would have enough for a 40-minute conference where they have a deep dive into The Last of Us II and Death Stranding and then have a little tease of PS5. To skip it completely almost makes me think they don't have any releases planned for the second half of 2019. I know that The Last of Us is pretty much a shoe in to be a best seller even if they don't spend any money on marketing but to skip the opportunity to win a bunch of best of show awards and get the boost that the acclaim brings is pretty weird.

I sort of agree with Dcubed on that it might be a good sign for third party support on Switch in the short term but I don't know that the hardware gap will reduce too much when the PS5 and Scarlet roll around, the next Switch model (not Pro, but the actual next iteration) will surely be PS4 level but it'd probably have to be PS4 Pro level to get better recent third party support than the current Switch has.

• Thanks 1

I suggested a while back that Microsoft and Sony would probably follow Nintendo's move to a Direct style presentation at E3, but didn't expect it to happen so soon.

That said, can anyone really be that surprised? Their last two or three E3 conferences have been rehashing the same games over and over, and they're clearly winding down the PS4 software wise. Like last year they probably just don't have much new to show to warrant an entire conference. They've obviously had a great 2018 and a couple of big games to come next year as well, but everything else is probably PS5 bound and there's only so many times you can show Dreams, Days Gone or Death Stranding footage.

It'll be sad to lose their conferences but tbh, they've just been glorified trailer reels the last few years anyway, with almost zero stage presence so we won't really be missing much.

Edited by Ronnie

I haven’t seen anyone mention it yet, but a Reddit thread was posted the day before this was confirmed: Sony is not going to appear in E3 next year, Official Announcement tomorrow (what an apt title :D). In it, the poster went on to detail a lot of things which I haven’t seen mentioned in many places, so I’ll quote the stuff that I found more interesting below. 

Standard = user questions, Bold = poster’s answers 

Is there any other things you know?

PS experience returning, Most devs already have dev kits for ps5 ( Spoiler: It’s a monster), Sony prepping hard for ps5 and one of the reason for no e3 next year because they blew all their load this year and got nothing new to show next year (They want to show new stuff at psx)

Do you know how much of a monster it is?

4K/60 stable and at the same time kinda monster

So should I expect actual PS5 stuff at PSX2019? Gonna be the PS5 reveal event?

Small reveal mid 2019, Big one at psx, Plans might change though

Small PS5 reveal in mid-2019?!

Remember the very first ps4 reveal ? Something like that but hey then again Plans might change

Do you know when the big exclusives are coming that have been announced until now? So like Death Stranding and The last of us 2? Are they still scheduled for ps4? Maybe for ps4 and ps5?

Mostly on both but obviously going to be made for the PS5, Most developers already has the dev kit for ps5 and from what I’ve heard EA is testing Anthem on it

So what are some of the launch games should we expect then or around that time?

Tlou 2, Death Stranding, That samurai game

Do you mean TLOU2, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima are going to be cross-gen?

Can’t say for sure about Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding is still in polishing stage, Sony doesn’t want to make them ps5 exclusives because they advertised them as ps4 games the first times but then again all 3 games has no official release (Publicly) thus no preorder soo the plans might change

Hmm, that'd put it square in 1080 to 1080 TI level of performance, probably with some ray-tracing features so closer to 1080. 

Calling it right now, 11.5 TFLOPs with ray-tracing support on par with mid-high tier RSX, octa-core performance near Ryzen 1700x levels but based on Zen 2 architecture for feature compatibility. 16GB GDDR6, UHD Blu-Ray support, 1TB HDD, $399.99

But assuming they're willing to lose up to $50 per unit at $400, I can see the memory increasing to 24GB GDDR6.

Only thing i can tell right now for specs is Ryzen 8 core, Price is 500$ 

PS VR 2 on the other hand will have no breaker box this time around it’ll be inside the console

Is there any info on PS VR2? Like resolution, built in wireless? Eye tracking maybe?

No Breaker Box 

Has a Camera (DS5 is going to have that too)

New Ps move controllers

They are also testing some gloves to go with the vr

PS5 late 2020 release?

It’s either March or November, Not confirmed which one it’ll be

Can you confirm the existence of bloodborne 2 please

As much as I would love to, not happening anytime soon jim :(

• Thanks 3

What's a breaker box?
It's a box partway along the wire coming out of the PS4 that you then slot other PSVR cables into. It's a bit untidy basically.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bob said:

What's a breaker box?

This is the PSVR setup. It's a hell of a mess:

qiKDYG5.jpg

Admittedly, it's not too bad once set up, but a tidier approach would be welcome on the PS5.

Yeah it's pretty dumb. Mind you, you only really see the wire going to the headset since the rest tucks behind the TV.

I suppose it comes with the territory of being an early adopter but that's still crazy. You'd hope PS5 will come with the tech inside it and the next PSVR will be a bit less convoluted.

It almost makes the Sega MegaDrive CD 32X setup look sleek... ;)

zekqu.jpg&f=1

Edited by S.C.G
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately, it's a drawback of running VR on a console that was never designed to support it. Display has to go out via hdmi, and input is required from the headset, so that needs to go in via USB. I imagine the break out box adds some extra processing power to figure out positions and what visuals to output to match.

In terms of what actually sticks out in front of the TV, it's just one (admittedly bulky) cable.

I think what they've achieved with the base PS4 is incredible, but I think the PS5 will be a far better experience. The PS4 is just too underpowered to run truly impressive games and it was never designed for VR.

It seems like PSX 2017’s sofa talks might have actually hinted at the possibility of this happening. Here’s how Shawn Layden responded to Greg Miller’s question about E3 2017 being open to the public:

I thought, I'll be honest with you guys, I think the ESA sold 15,000 consumer tickets for that and it really brought the crowd to the edge of pain. 

And I won't bore you guys with the details around that, but if you're going to design a trade show or a consumer show, those are two different beasts. E3 is like in the middle of the highway, it's going to get hit by cars on both sides and it's got to choose a lane to be in. 

It just seems like there were simply far too many reasons for them to want out of E3 2019: overcrowding on the floor and in the conference; potentially not having much left to reveal as far as PS4 titles go (and supposedly having PS5 titles kept under wrap); the potential of a PS5 blowout being overshadowed here, etc. Plus, many of Sony’s first party titles (i.e. the remaining big PS4 titles) are seemingly quite heavy on the store front, which probably wouldn’t lend themselves to E3 demos. 

Gutting as it is that they won’t be at E3, I can only think that this will be a smart move for them. The only way that it potentially backfired would be to have Xbox reveal their next console/platform at E3 of next year to a lot of buzz, but even then, with the size of the PS4 install base, I think that would be salvageable.

Sign in to follow this