NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ganepark32

The Game Awards 2018

Nice to see Xbox finally join the party, they were pretty much absent last year apart from a Sea of Thieves trailer.

A bit odd to have revealed that a new Far Cry is on the way a mere day and a half prior to the awards ceremony, but I suppose it could help garner some interest. 

That’s one down, over ten more to go :p 

I really, really hate this trend of revealing things before an event. I get why publishers do it, it gives their game a moment in the spotlight without loads of other reveals competing against them, but it's still frustrating from a fan POV.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I really, really hate this trend of revealing things before an event. I get why publishers do it, it gives their game a moment in the spotlight without loads of other reveals competing against them, but it's still frustrating from a fan POV.

Yeah, I agree (same for when we get 10 second teasers for movie trailers a day before, it really seems kind of pointless). 

Though, in this case, I don’t think that learning a new Far Cry is on the way and seeing bits and pieces offers much more than an “Oh, cool” reaction, so it doesn’t take too much away from our first experience of the game (of course this is subjective, and I’m sure that there are diehard Far Cry fans out there...but I don’t know any, and haven’t seen any such reactions). The strange thing is, it probably should have been expected, given that Blood Dragon was released just a year after FC3 and Primal just two years after FC4 (not a fan myself; just searched it up out of curiosity), but it’s come completely out of the blue? 

Yeah, I really don’t know ::shrug: because on the other side of things, I think revealing third party games which aren’t expected to produce fan-breaking reactions before The Game Awards only works in Geoff’s favour of garnering some more attention for the show. Can certainly be argued both ways, but either way, I think that everyone here is just glad that this treatment isn’t given to Metroid Prime 4/Metroid Prime Trilogy/Death Stranding/[insert game which will make people crazy here]. 

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yup. I think more and more publishers are doing it because they are afraid of something leaking beforehand. I think the insiders who leak or tease games should just keep their mouths shut and stop dropping hints at stuff. It would make for a far better show and this goes for all of the gaming events/Directs that are held throughout the year. The race for five minutes of fame or just to say "I told you so" has ruined a big part of these events.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

Seems like Kojima-san and Geoff are having fun toying with people...

Also, seems like we could be seeing a first during the show...

A demo or game shadow-dropping, perhaps? A live game demonstration? Or a three-way arm wrestling contest between Reggie, Phil and Shawn? :D 

Finally, it might be TGA-related or it might not, but Capcom producer Jun Takeuchi has teased a project in the works which will surprise fans — by the fact that they’re working on it. Dragon’s Dogma II? Deep Down actually existing? 

Josef Fares managed to spend a few minutes on screen without swearing, still needed some prodding from Geoff to do what he was there to do though.

Sayonara Wild Hearts looks like my sort of game, definitely goes straight onto my watch list 

As much as I love the Monster Hunter games I really don't class them as role playing games. Still, I'm happy it won something and got some recognition. Im even happier that Octopath didn't win.

Reggie, Shawn Layden and Phil Spencer on stage together was really great to see, hopefully hinting at Kratos and Banjo in Smash. 

I have no idea how good Marvel Ultimate Alliance is supposed to be but it seems like a pretty big get to have as an exclusive on Switch, no?

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Detroit was robbed!!

Heisted, if you will.

Also, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 looked like a free to play game to me. Not sure why.

Edited by Goafer

Gah, Red Dead is heisting all of the awards! Can't really argue that it isn't deserving, but I would have loved for Christopher Judge to win Best Performance and Lena Raine to win for the music from Celeste. 

I was surprised about the music one. There are two moments in RDR2 where the music is utterly sublime, but other than that, the music is just background music. Very good background music, but it never really stood out as anything special.

CTR looks amazing. Looks like it's PS4 exclusive.

EDIT: Nah, it's out on all platforms. Sony must have marketing rights.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

The entirety of the Fallout 76 team just screamed collectively out of frustration after the reveal of Obsidian's 'The Outer Worlds' which looks to have the classic charm and gameplay of Fallout without all the broken online shit. 

EDIT:

These Smash adverts are hilarious by the way.

Edited by killthenet
  • Haha 1

I knew nothing about SonicFox before tonight but his acceptance speech completely adhered him to me - seems like such a lovely, happy guy.

EDIT:

Rivers Cuomo dressed like a pilot introducing a performance of Devil Trigger from DMC5 is perhaps the highlight of the night. 

Edited by killthenet

Sign in to follow this