NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dog-amoto

Stan Lee Dies aged 95

Aww I was just about to start this thread

This sucks though. No more cameos in Marvel movies...

Or in DC movies.

But RIP Stan Lee.

Edited by Sméagol

May he rest in peace. It goes without saying what he did for comic books, and through his influence (and creations) television and film, is something that few creators can stake a claim to, and I hope he’s proud of all that he managed to accomplish in his 95 years — and I hope that he didn’t lose any site of his accomplishments during the troubles he had to work through in his final few years.

9 minutes ago, martinist said:

This sucks though. No more cameos in Marvel movies...

There have been numerous reports in recent years of him being recorded against a green screen and having recorded numerous lines just for this, so I wouldn’t be too sure about that. Not to mention the potential for fitting him in other, perhaps increasingly creative ways, such as on a television in the background, in the Marvel Studios fanfare at the start of the MCU entries, etc. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

This makes me sad. I know he didn't actively do anything new but watching a Marvel movie and spotting him there was always a highlight. Wonder if he made it to Avengers 4.

1 minute ago, MindFreak said:

Wonder if he made it to Avengers 4.

Principal photography wrapped in January and additional photography wrapped last month I believe, so unless they leave it incredibly late to shoot his cameos, he will more than likely be present in Avengers 4

Aww... that's really sad :(

He had a hell of a career! And he certainly ended on a high note! I don't think he could've been happier by the end really; so that's something to be happy about!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BowserBasher said:

No no no. This is a sad day, loved his cameo stuff in The Simpsons. Will be greatly missed. 

He's not the Hulk,  I am!

• Haha 1

I think he had quite the storied life and career, and died at a pretty advanced age. As such, it feels inaccurate to call his death sad, more like a bittersweet departure.

R.I.P. Here's to a great afterlife. Excelsior and all that.

(Though I suppose we will still get to see his last few cameos. I hope it won't feel morbid)

• Like 2

He lived a good life, and got to see many of his creations hit the big screen.  R.I.P to a legend.

I don't know if any of you read 'Amazing Fantastic Incredible' which is basically his autobiography in the form of a comic book/graphic novel, but its very good.

RIP Stan

I've been a fan of Stan Lee for as long as I can remember.  What strikes me about Marvel's characters is that they are incredibly enduring across different media - the comics, of course, but also animation, live-action TV and, now, the spectacular films.  It's largely because of how much humanity Stan Lee put into them in the first place.  He co-created them with various artists, true, but he deserves credit for his writing style and how much heart he gave them.

The Incredible Hulk made a huge impression on me via the 1970s TV series, and has always been one of the most lovable characters.  I got into Spider-Man in the early '90s.  It may be a cliché to talk about how relatable Peter Parker is, but it's important that the character is nice.  It's no coincidence that Stan Lee was heavily involved with these more flawed, but endearing, characters rather than the square-jawed, virtuous-but-brutal Captain America (don't get me wrong, Cap is great too!)  Fantastic Four are some of my favourite characters of all, especially the confidence-lacking genius Reed Richards (incidentally, I loved the 1990s animated series for Spidey, Hulk and FF), and the portrayal of the bickering family who love each other really is perfect. "Flame On!" and "It's Clobberin' Time!" have always been two of my favourite catchphrases.

It's also no coincidence that Stan Lee's characters were the most sought-after by film companies when Marvel sold the rights to them in the 1990s.  It's been an absolute pleasure to look out for Stan's cameos - some of my favourites are "Hey, Hef!", "I thought he'd be taller" and "Can I have my shoe back?" And the MCU itself took it to another level.  Stan always seemed keen to talk about his characters and was enthusiastic about being involved to the end.  We'll keep on enjoying his work, but he genuinely will be missed.

Edited by Grazza
  • Thanks 3

Sign in to follow this