NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pestneb

Gamecube

So I dug out a few of my GC games out recently, found a gc memory card (though hopefully not my main one, because it only had mk:dd ghost saves on it :|) and started playing a few games through with my wife.

Played a bit of monkey ball (she found that fun but tough to control!), soul calibur (initially she beat me consistently but I picked up my game and we're about equal now, which makes the game a lot more fun!) and spent a fair amount of time yesterday on donkey konga... good times. GC was definitely my favourite console (despite it's shortcomings) looking forward to enjoying a few more titles in my library!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Been thinking of giving Path of Radiance another play through, although I have too much going on that at the moment so might not be soon.

I never really looked into path of radiance, it's not one in my library sadly. Paper mario, luigi's mansion, to a lesser extent now, animal crossing, donkey konga 2 perhaps, I think those are the main titles I am missing that I would like to add into my GC collection, though I haven't seen them around (I waited too long hoping for prices to drop, and they never did!)
even maybe starfox adventures could have been good. I'm sure there are other titles I have forgotten... I really do love the gamecube though. It'd be cool if Nintendo released a mini cube, just an actual cube this time with just enough space for the 4 control ports, integrated wifi and a good number of games on it, 1080p resolution as standard... not sure if that's too much to ask though :D I mean the cube I'm envisaging would be about 5cm*5cm, and I guess just for HD resolution it would need a nice chip in there which would need cooling etc. maybe making it a bit bigger... 10*10 perhaps. Even sweeter would be if it had a disc drive and would read gc discs!

For realz though, I loved the GameCube. Took a photo of my collection before I put it into the loft earlier this year. Loads of awesome games in here: Melee, Spider-Man 2, Harvest Moon, Simpson's Hit and Run, Timesplitters 2, SSX Tricky, Wario Ware Inc, etc.

All brilliant.054f0d64fd54ad65dca05997bb4c05e3.jpg

• Like 4

Amazing console. Tons of great games and lots of memories from that era. I remember the first time that I came across one of those demo pods in Gamestation back in the day. It was hooked up to Wave Race: Blue Storm and the controller just felt so damn good, especially those shoulder buttons. Hnnngggg. Graphically, that game was the one that told me that I needed a Gamecube as soon as possible. :D 

Bought one with Luigi's Mansion and Extreme G3. Followed it up with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, which was an absolutely fantastic game. Put tons of hours into that. 

I didn't really get to experience the GC properly when it was a relevant console so I've recently been working through a lot of the games I missed out on. I've been posting my thoughts on the games in the Retro thread so won't repeat my self too much here but I've (mostly) had a blast playing through them. I loved Wave Race, F-Zero GX and Mario Sunshine and will probably play Geist once I'm done with Red Dead, will definitely be adding some games to my list from the suggestions in this thread

I was really tempted to pick up the 3DS port of Luigi's Mansion but I only have a standard 3DS without the second analogue nub so I might just pick up the GC original to play over Halloween.

Edited by killthenet

I fired up Super Mario Sunshine the other day. After the glorious controls of Odyssey, this has not aged well at all. Not being able to long jump is killing me. 

Also put Paper Mario TTYD on. Only played through the prologue but it brought some fantastic memories back. Gonna blast through it again when I get the time. 

Only downside is, I don’t have my GameCube anymore :cry:had to play them on Wii which is a bit of a ball ache. May have to get on eBay. 

1 hour ago, Dog-amoto said:

I fired up Super Mario Sunshine the other day. After the glorious controls of Odyssey, this has not aged well at all. Not being able to long jump is killing me. 

It's definitely really irritating at first, and its a pretty buggy game compared to most other 3D Mario's but once you get used to using the FLUDD it definitely gets more enjoyable. There's so much about it to like but it definitely doesn't feel as polished as the other Mario games. 

The motor of the discdrive broke down. As far as I can tell, everything else works fine. It's shit because while I can play the games on Wii, it's not ideal. I did e-mail Nintendo, but they don't do repairs anymore. :(

Edit:

4 hours ago, killthenet said:

will probably play Geist once I'm done with Red Dead

I got it for free from the old Nintendo club. And I absolutely loved the game.. Despite the shitty FPS controls, and ridiculous framerate in one particular area. The shooting sections were generally less interesting, though it got better later on when you had to keep switching. But I loved the concept and atmosphere, and the creative puzzles. While the studio closed down, I believe Nintendo owns the rights, and I really would love to see a sequel. I ehh, I think this could be a perfect new project for Retro perhaps.

Edited by Sméagol

3 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I got it for free from the old Nintendo club. And I absolutely loved the game.. Despite the shitty FPS controls, and ridiculous framerate in one particular area. The shooting sections were generally less interesting, though it got better later on when you had to keep switching. But I loved the concept and atmosphere, and the creative puzzles. While the studio closed down, I believe Nintendo owns the rights, and I really would love to see a sequel. I ehh, I think this could be a perfect new project for Retro perhaps.

Thats good to hear, I've always head it's a flawed but really interesting game - the definition of a 'swimming in 7's' game. It was developed by NST wasn't it? I hope Nintendo let their studios loose on more original and weird ideas, it looks like they've done that with Retro and the Star Fox GP game and it seems like NST are developing a pretty substantial project after their latest job vacancy posts - a target release date of 2023 so it must be something pretty big.

Gamecube by far is my favourite console. I have so many good memories playing it when entering my teens. Playing SA2: Battle, Monkey Ball, Star Wars, Sunshine, Wind Waker, FZero GX, Prime and Eternal Darkness were all just amazing at the time. 

The quality was great and it was all the better that I had the time to play them all too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excluding handhelds, Gamecube is also my favourite console. If you read my lists from those threads, you'll notice my Top 3 best games ever come from the Gamecube. And besides some of the best games of all time, there was also an abundance of gems for the console, like Super Mario Sunshine, Baten Kaitos, Pikmin, and the best version of Soul Calibur. I could be here all day gushing about it, but instead I'm going to brag about a purchase I made this week:

41BgDHkyWqL.jpg

I used to own it before I foolishly sold it... and now I found it at the nearest CeX for 10€. Quite the deal if you ask me. I'm looking forward to revisiting this gem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Excluding handhelds, Gamecube is also my favourite console. If you read my lists from those threads, you'll notice my Top 3 best games ever come from the Gamecube. And besides some of the best games of all time, there was also an abundance of gems for the console, like Super Mario Sunshine, Baten Kaitos, Pikmin, and the best version of Soul Calibur. I could be here all day gushing about it, but instead I'm going to brag about a purchase I made this week:

41BgDHkyWqL.jpg

I used to own it before I foolishly sold it... and now I found it at the nearest CeX for 10€. Quite the deal if you ask me. I'm looking forward to revisiting this gem.

Wave Race: Blue Storm is one of my absolute favourites and my love for it continues to grow with each passing year where we don't get a sequel..!

41BgDHkyWqL.jpg
Is that really the cover art? It looks like it was made with ClipArt! What the hell is that thing supposed to be? Can you play as the blue watery goblin in the game?
  • Haha 2
  • Weird 1

7 hours ago, bob said:
17 hours ago, Jonnas said:
41BgDHkyWqL.jpg

Is that really the cover art? It looks like it was made with ClipArt! What the hell is that thing supposed to be? Can you play as the blue watery goblin in the game?

Oh my daze, someone finally agrees with me on this!

It's a really crap cover!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Oh my daze, someone finally agrees with me on this!

It's a really crap cover!

I've never liked it either. It doesn't really reflect the game at all, which is surprisingly difficult and takes a lot of time and patience to master! 

Never felt that this was a particularly good multiplayer game, at least not on splitscreen. Graphically, the game looks fantastic in singleplayer, but noticeably isn't as great (still nice, though) when you get into 3 and 4 player. Also, it's one of those games where I feel that you need the entire screen to get the most out of it, since it relies on sharp turns and knowing what's coming up ahead. Amazing game, would definitely benefit from being online nowadays. 

10 hours ago, bob said:

I wish we could unlock the goblin! Would make for an amusing, bizarre mascot, if the developers wanted.

• Like 2

Playing on the GC, it kinda hits me how little the Wii U takes things, graphically, beyond the GC. Tbh for me even the PS4 isn't THAT big a step up, considering it is 2 generations on. Obviously I guess it depends on the game being played, but even so, the gamecube (while suffering a little from graphical issues) does a pretty good job graphically. I can kinda understand Nintendo's points on not focusing too much on graphics since that generation, even if I'm not 100% sold on the path they have taken thus far.

I kinda feel as a developer, Nintendo took a big step backwards with the Wii, on the U really I'd say Botw, splatoon and mariokart, captain toad, mario maker... those are the kind of games I would expect from them! it's pretty good playing on the GC, it's reminding me of why I like Nintendo as a developer!

Played some 1080 today, and warioware (my wife was pretty bemused on wario ware :D) but overall, really liking dipping back into this console!

(and also, yes the blue storm box art is terrible)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always go back and forth as to what is my favourite Nintendo console. It's always between the Gamecube and N64 but I do really love them both. Each of them were released at times in my life where I was able to enjoy local multiplayer gaming with my friends on a regular basis and that being the case both of these consoles really came into their own.

Here's a few pics of my Cube collection. I have a couple of Japanese games but they are in storage up in the attic and there are two notable PAL titles missing from my picture ( can you guess what they are?). I really must get them back from my mate.

Dqcr5FZWkAAuPka?format=jpg

DqcsHpsXcAAq1kc?format=jpg

DqcsVwxXQAEW8Az?format=jpg

DqcslerWsAICb58?format=jpg

The console had one hell of a line up of games. :heart:

• Like 6

Today I learned that there was a third Super Monkey Ball game on the Gamecube.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is my best Gamecube game for sure!

EDIT: Woah, hold up @Hero-of-Time you don't have Monkey Ball 2 but have the other 2 games? You failure!

Edited by Glen-i

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Today I learned that there was a third Super Monkey Ball game on the Gamecube.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is my best Gamecube game for sure!

EDIT: Woah, hold up @Hero-of-Time you don't have Monkey Ball 2 but have the other 2 games? You failure!

Yeah, its not part of my collection ( not one of the two games I'm missing ). However, a couple of my mates did have it and while it did get some time at our game nights, the original game was still the one we gravitated to. Monkey Target is a thing a beauty. What a mini game! 

• Like 1

Yeah, its not part of my collection ( not one of the two games I'm missing ). However, a couple of my mates did have it and while it did get some time at our game nights, the original game was still the one we gravitated to. Monkey Target is a thing a beauty. What a mini game! 
I donated my copy of SMB1 to my cousin, as I had SMB2, and thought those minigames would suffice. Sadly, Monkey Target and Race just aren't as good in the second one.

Sign in to follow this