NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Nintendo Switch Online: NES

On 14/08/2019 at 7:26 AM, Glen-i said:

Well, if it does happen, I suppose I'll celebrate with an online 2-player, sarcastic clap filled Star Road run on Mario World (Because Mario World is totally a launch title for it, don't kid yourselves).

Who's in?

Well, I said I would. Gonna give a shout-out to @Vileplume2000 who showed interest.

But tonight is Mario Kart/Super Smash Bears night, so if you can't do it during the afternoon, I can wait until another day.

Edited by Glen-i

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hopefully that trend continues. I'd love for titles like UN Squadron and the Soul Blazer trilogy to hit the service. Unirally/Uniracer would be a dream come true but given the legal issues with it I doubt that will ever happen. Shame because I adored that game. :( 

UN Squadron won't happen because it's a licensed game based on an anime.  The Soul Blazer trilogy won't happen because Square Enix own the rights to them and there's no way that they'll allow their games to be given away for free when they're selling collections of these games elsewhere (Collection of Mana).

If they were doing a proper VC service, we'd have a chance, but as a subscription service? No chance sadly :( 

• Sad 1

Those SNES controllers... it does state that you can charge them with the supplied USB cable.

I'm pretty sure the Pro Controller works the same way and that allows you to use the controller wired with the USB cable thanks to a setting on the Switch.

I think... this applies to all official controllers which charge in the same way, if that's so then I'd potentially be interested in those SNES controllers.

If they are exclusively wireless though then nope, I like my controllers wired where possible.

I didn't bother with the NES ones because they're basically oversized Joy-Cons but these SNES pads look like the real deal.

Anyway... I'm an idiot (sort of) as I just remembered that I have a GameCube Hori pad which already works with the Switch, I lose track of which controllers I have sometimes.

I'm looking forward to playing some of these SNES games, has the application been updated yet?

Unirally would be amazing, loved that game too. So colourful and fun.

Still waiting for the Adventures of Rad Gravity on NES too.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Those SNES controllers... it does state that you can charge them with the supplied USB cable.

I'm pretty sure the Pro Controller works the same way and that allows you to use the controller wired with the USB cable thanks to a setting on the Switch.

I think... this applies to all official controllers which charge in the same way, if that's so then I'd potentially be interested in those SNES controllers.

If they are exclusively wireless though then nope, I like my controllers wired where possible.

I'd guess that they're literally repackaged Switch Pro Controllers and that they'll connect directly over USB; given that the Switch NES controllers could be used as a Pro Controller, and that the only differentiating factor was that there was no USB port...

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Still waiting for the Adventures of Rad Gravity on NES too.

Speaking of things that are rad, we still need this on the service.

250px-Totally_Rad_cover_NES.jpg

I played the hell out of this as a kid and would love to see it return.

I think this is, and always will be, a problem with the Virtual Console service and backwards compatibility programs. No matter what form they take, we will never get all the games we enjoyed when we were younger. :( 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Speaking of things that are rad, we still need this on the service.

250px-Totally_Rad_cover_NES.jpg

I played the hell out of this as a kid and would love to see it return.

I think this is, and always will be, a problem with the Virtual Console service and backwards compatibility programs. No matter what form they take, we will never get all the games we enjoyed when we were younger. :( 

Whenever I thought back to Totally Rad I'd think to myself there could never be a game called "Totally Rad" in the modern day industry...

And then RAD came out from Double Fine :blank:

Yeah it's sad. Hey that rhymes. That's why in cases like that I look to other methods, to keep those games alive and playable to me. Especially with what you can do to those NES and SNES minis.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Well, I said I would. Gonna give a shout-out to @Vileplume2000 who showed interest.

But tonight is Mario Kart/Super Smash Bears night, so if you can't do it during the afternoon, I can wait until another day.

I will definitely take you up on this! Maybe somewhere during the weekend.

• Like 1

It's up on the eShop now if you just search for "SNES" go,go,go! :D

• Thanks 1

Anyone want to play some late night Mario Kart?

I'm gonna open a room and play some other games (not Mario World, saving that for the binge with Vileplume2000  if any one wants to jump in, I'll switch to that.

Edited by Glen-i

On 14/08/2019 at 7:53 AM, Dcubed said:

It had better not have those button prompts onscreen at all times like the NES games do.  Gimme a plain black background or GTFO Nintendo!

You can turn them off. You can't turn off the sidebar showing the players though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

ARGH! GameCube controller can't sarcastic clap!

Nooooooo!

QHQsLit.gif

• Haha 3

The graphics on Pilotwings were so bad they almost gave me a seizure. I don’t think it’s aged well at all.

I struggled with Super Tennis at first. I mean, the ball actually goes out etc. WTF?! Guess I’ve played too much Mario Tennis Aces. 

F-Zero is just as I remembered it. Will be great to dip into this from time to time. Ditto Super Mario Kart. I’d totally forgotten that one has to finish in the Top 4 in order to progress to the next track.

Not sure if I would jump into something properly just yet with so many actual Switch games to play. At some point I’d love to see what all the fuss is about with Super Metroid though.

Edited by Tim B

Thanks for the games @S.C.G 'twas good fun.

Stunt Race FX's frame rate is... Very ambitious! Let's go with that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the games @Glen-i :D

Sarcastic clapping Tennis should be the only way to play that game by default :p as it improves the game tenfold.

I think I've temporarily forgotten how to play Kirby as well :blush:

Super Mario Kart and Stunt Race FX were great fun, I think I'll appreciate the latter more when I'm not falling asleep at the wheel though. :indeed:

• Haha 1

I think this thread should just be renamed "NES and SNES" rather than start a separate topic

EDIT: Oh, never mind then.

8 hours ago, Tim B said:

The graphics on Pilotwings were so bad they almost gave me a seizure. I don’t think it’s aged well at all.

!!! Speaking badly of Mode 7 graphics is a bannable offence, probably.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Haha 1

By the way, the NES app also got an update. No new games (yet), but you can now hide the interface as well, plus you get the sorting options.

content-4-35974-nintendoswitchonlinenesbanner.jpg

Nintendo Switch Online NES Version 4.0.0  is out now!

Don't delay, install it and get red of that pesky tutorial bar at the bottom of the play area today! :D 

This calls for a celebratory sarcastic clap! QHQsLit.gif

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Sign in to follow this