NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Nintendo Switch Online: NES

I updated the OP once again.

Anyone up for a quick session of Double Dragon tonight?

So no word on this month's games  huh? Not that I particularly need any this month, with Mario Maker 2 out. Still, it's a but surprising.

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

So no word on this month's games  huh? Not that I particularly need any this month, with Mario Maker 2 out. Still, it's a but surprising.

Just announced:

So just two games this month. The Wrecking Crew and Donkey Kong 3

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

They are also introduced a rewind feature:

Ooooh. Kinda like the SNES Mini? That feature was awesome.

Nice!

Also Wrecking Crew is awesome, played that one a ton as a kid

content-4-35864-nesrewindnoborderbanner.jpg

Up on the front page. :D

I'll probably make use of this Rewind Feature.

As much as I enjoy playing certain NES titles, some of them benefit from a few modern shortcuts.

Geez.. They couldn't announce that 2 hours earlier? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll give the 2 games a try, since I've never played those, but I suspect I'm done within 5 minutes as usual.

And great, another feature added for pussies. :laughing:

16 hours ago, Sméagol said:

And great, another feature added for pussies. :laughing:

Funnily enough, on the SNES Mini, I used a combination of that and the save state feature to save my funniest moments on those games.

And by funny, I mean me walking off a ledge in Super Castlevania IV because the stairs literally blended into the background!

Oh, and how much Mystic Quest hates me.

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Funnily enough, on the SNES Mini, I used a combination of that and the save state feature to save my funniest moments on those games.

And by funny, I mean me walking off a ledge in Super Castlevania IV because the stairs literally blended into the background!

Oh, and how much Mystic Quest hates me.

I guess that's a good reason to use it, though redundant on the Switch as you can capture it immediately.

vIf0lAD.gif

MFW Nintendo give me a free 33 year old game.

• Haha 2

Not a bad couple of NES games there but still... two titles which will likely only be played briefly, only to be forgotten about within a couple of days.

But at least you can go back to them any time if you have a Nintendo Switch Online subscription I guess...

Has it been a year yet? If so then I really hope that SNES games will be launching soon, before this year is out at the very least.

With the Switch not being backwards compatible and the 3DS being discontinued soon, it’s crazy that Nintendo offers no way to pay for and play a huge part of their rich catalogue.

What could be the reason for this extreme slow drip feeding strategy?

1 minute ago, markderoos said:

With the Switch not being backwards compatible and the 3DS being discontinued soon, it’s crazy that Nintendo offers no way to pay for and play a huge part of their rich catalogue.

What could be the reason for this extreme slow drip feeding strategy?

They'd rather have people play their new software I imagine.

31 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You think they’d fear their old games eating away the potential profit they’d make from selling newer games?

Better that than third parties doing it. Or even worse their fans taking the illegal route with ROMS and hacks etc. Or choosing to spend their money on other platforms.

I really think a lot of games from the N64, GC and Wii era would still sell incredibly well when released on Switch. 

And if we’re purely talking about the NSO service, just introduce hybrid subscriptions or tier subscriptions.

It doesn’t make any sense at all to me...

• Thanks 2

Why? VC is money for old rope on their part, no game to develop.

59 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Why? VC is money for old rope on their part, no game to develop.

Unless it eats into the full share of purchases of brand new software or eats into their marketing that could be spent advertising new games.

Unless it eats into the full share of purchases of brand new software or eats into their marketing that could be spent advertising new games.
When has it stopped them before?

Yeah, I'm not quite getting that point there. Virtual Console sold plenty to warrant the effort. There's an audience for those games and it makes good business sense to supply that.

But that's the thing. When you're not selling each game seperately, what's the point in getting lots of games out there quickly?

That's why I think this subscription service has been so bare. The majority of people aren't paying the subscription for NESflix. They're paying for online gaming. Smash, Mario Kart and Splatoon are way more of a selling point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Wii (and especially Wii U) weren't seeing the kind of "one big game a month" release that the Switch has though. There were huge droughts and so Virtual console on past consoles made sense.

Who knows. It might be a combination of things really, the point is there's obviously reasons for it or else they'd do it.

The Wii (and especially Wii U) weren't seeing the kind of "one big game a month" release that the Switch has though. There were huge droughts and so Virtual console on past consoles made sense.
Who knows. It might be a combination of things really, the point is there's obviously reasons for it or else they'd do it.
You give Nintendo too much credit. There are obvious reasons why Nintendo should do lots of things yet they never do them.

5 hours ago, Sheikah said:
6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

You give Nintendo too much credit. There are obvious reasons why Nintendo should do lots of things yet they never do them.

And you give them too little. 

It’s a business decision/strategy, they have their reasons, I’ve suggested one. Might be wrong but it’s something. 

Edited by Ronnie

55 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It’s a business decision/strategy, they have their reasons, I’ve suggested one. Might be wrong but it’s something. 

I totally expect there’s reasoning behind it, I just can’t think of one that makes sense. Would be interesting to get answers to questions like this through the investors meetings or from game journalists but that rarely happens :(

And you give them too little. 

It’s a business strategy in the same way that the Wii U was. A poor one.

They are sitting on a goldmine of games and have wasted years when they could have been making money off them. The idea that making VC games available would hurt sales of their new games is not even worth considering. By the same reckoning Nintendo would not allow indie titles on their machine as people might buy them instead of their games.

Sign in to follow this