NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Nintendo Switch Online: NES

Oh NOW they're happy to give us Japanese games! Why not Joy-Mech-Fight? That game is perfectly playable without Japanese knowledge! (oh no... you miss out on the pointless story; oh woe is us...)

Lost Levels was never that hard... You guys should try the Impossible Pack in NSMB2... which truly does live up to its name!

Yeah, keep trying and doing a little better was one aspect. I do remember a bunch of games I've owned that I never finished though, might be fun to revisit them. They were not great games though, such as Tazmania on SNES or Jungle Book and Spiderman X-Men on the GB.

But also up until the SNES I finished games a lot of times. I don't know how often I've replayed Mario World on SNES or Kirby's Dream Land on the GB. Playing a game twice since then became a rarity.

Edit: in response to HoT and Nekunando's post on the previous page.

Edited by Vileplume2000

1 minute ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Yeah, keep trying and doing a little better was one aspect. I do remember a bunch of games I've owned that I never finished though, might be fun to revisit them. They were not great games though, such as Tazmania on SNES or Jungle Book and Spiderman X-Men on the GB.

But also up until the SNES I finished games a lot of times. I don't know how often I've replayed Mario World on SNES or Kirby's Dream Land on the GB. Playing a game twice since then became a rarity.

Edit: in response to HoT and Nekunando's post on the previous page.

I remember finishing Tazmania on the Mega Drive. One day I was too sick to go to school so I took the day off, sat and played that all day and ended up finishing it. Come to think of it that was also the same situation for Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles on my Commodore 64. Sick, took day off, finished the game. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Tazmania on SNES

One of my favourite games on the SNES. Also never finished it.

• Thanks 1

They're also throwing in a version of Kid Icarus that puts you right before the final level with all the treasures acquired

kidicarus.900x.jpg

I wish they'd give the Icarus IP to Team Cherry or Image & Form. I'd love a 2D sequel, wasn't that big a fan of Uprising.

The punch out games never appealed to me. I played Punch out for the first time and.. I probably won't touch it again. Star Soldier is much worse, it's actually tiresome. And Super Mario Bros 2.. It's always fun to get warped back to the start of the game. :laughing:

I updated the list, and included some multiplayer info. Didn't fact check everything, so may have overlooked stuff or made some mistakes. I also don't know if I should call stuff like Balloon Fight versus or co-op. I guess they're both at the same time.

What are your favourite multiplayer titles of the current list? For me that's Super Mario Bros 3, River City Ransom (so far the only "new" game for me I actually like, should play some co-op again some time) and Mario Bros. I'm not into the action puzzle games or the NES sports titles, so I don't care for those, some exceptions aside (like Nintendo World Cup, but that's not available (perhaps they haven't implemented 4 player multiplayer yet..))

It's such a shame that Virtual console doesn't exist anymore, and there aren't more of the 3rd party classics in the app. Most are due to licenses or existing / upcoming collections. All the Capcom Megaman games, the Capcom Disney games, the Castlevania games, the the Turtles games.. The Rare games (Snake rattle 'n roll).. They are sorely missed.

This month's games are Donkey Kong Jr, VS. Excitebike and Clu Clu Land.

VS Excitebike is the FDS version and is the first time it has ever been released in Europe! (The US got it on Wii U, we didn't!)

It's an awesome game BTW! It's based on the arcade VS Excitebike (the one that's also available on Switch as an ACA title), but it has different stages, different music, an enhanced track editor and, most notably, split screen multiplayer!! Yup! It's the only (non-Excitebike 64) Excitebike game to have local splitscreen multiplayer, and it's awesome!

It's actually a pretty big get for us here! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

It's an awesome game BTW! It's based on the arcade VS Excitebike (the one that's also available on Switch as an ACA title), but it has different stages, different music

Composed by the legendary Soyo Oka!! :love: 

Everything she worked on was just amazing. :) 

Edited by RedShell
  • Thanks 1

I've been in a bit of a gaming slump over the past week so I decided to indulge in some retro gaming to help get me snap out of it. I had a look through the NES games that are on the service and chose to play The Adventures of Link. I started it last night and with me taking a holiday from work today to lengthen the bank holiday weekend, I cracked on with it this morning and have just seen the credits roll.

Spoiler

D7UzcHRUYAEejPe.jpg

D7UzcGRUwAA9-2L.jpg

D7UzcG3VUAIhZOM.jpg

D7UzvJSUYAEsc9t.jpg

D7UzvJLU8AEv5nf.jpg

D7UzvJiVUAAJFx3.jpg

D7UzvJVVUAApe24.jpg

D7Uz-qbU0AAVUD9.jpg

D7Uz-q1UwAAqHNb.jpg

When Link holds up an extra life or a little kid it always gets a laugh out of me. It just looks so funny. :D 

D7U0ZnqU8AAR1mM.jpg

D7U0ZnMVUAAH9l-.jpg

I still love this game to bits and enjoy playing it more than the original game. I think it has something to do with me enjoying grinding in gaming. I spent a bit of time in certain areas just getting up a level or two in preparation for the next palace I had to visit. At one point I was about 500 exp from leveling up while in a palace. I had beaten the boss and refused to place the crystal as I didn't want to waste an instant level up. I went trawling through the palace again until I found a spot with respawning enemies that dished out 20 exp per kill. I got my exp, went up a level and then placed the crystal to gain another level. Score! 

On the topic of NES games, what's the deal with the icons for The Lost Levels and Vs Excitebike? They are bigger than the rest of them! It really triggered my OCD and i've had to push them to the bottom of the screen and give them their own section. :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

On the topic of NES games, what's the deal with the icons for The Lost Levels and Vs Excitebike? They are bigger than the rest of them! It really triggered my OCD and i've had to push them to the bottom of the screen and give them their own section. :( 

The Japanese boxes (And The Lost Levels from Mario All-Stars) are square because that's how they are for the Famicom.

For what it's worth, I did the same thing as you, even if it means all the Mario games aren't together.

Well, this was a nice surprise. I finished Adventure of Link this morning and then cracked on Super Mario Bros. 2. While I was playing that this popped through the door.

D7V72rIXYAEZAau.jpg

D7V72rrXYAEhULS.jpg

D7V72rHW0AEEHf4.jpg

D7V72roXYAABBH9.jpg

D7V8KFZXsAIl25h.jpg

D7V8KIUW0AA3mSV.jpg

It's a large hardback book written by Chris Scullion ( he may be familiar to a few people on here ). The book features every NES games ever released and, as you can see from my pic, it also has a section on unlicensed games. Most of the games just have a paragraph or two written about them, with the more popular and well known games having a larger feature. It was only £20 from Amazon and well worth a purchase for those who have fond memories of the NES.

It's certainly been day packed with NES goodness. :D 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I finished playing through my no warp Super Mario Bros. 2 run this evening.

Spoiler

D7Wn5b5V4AA9YKD.jpg

D7Wn5cLUcAA97kb.jpg

D7Wn5cAUEAAyHa5.jpg

D7Wn5btU8AAyGEs.jpg

D7WoFeJU8AAkhB5.jpg

D7WoFeDUIAAi7qg.jpg

D7WoFeOUcAAK_PU.jpg

D7WnusSUEAALiAk.jpg

D7WnusYUEAEKZV_.jpg

D7WnusAUEAEMcm-.jpg

D7Wnur8U0AE_7_M.jpg

I can never play this game without @markderoos popping into my head. :D 

It''s strange that i've played both this and The Adventure of Link in the past 24 hours. Both games are considered to be the black sheep of their gaming franchises and yet I find both of them to be more fun to play than their originals. You would think that I would have more nostalgia and love for the original game, seeing as it was pretty much my first experience ( along with Duck Hunt ) playing on a Nintendo console. I just think the sequel offers far more and i'm so happy that we got this version over here rather than The Lost Levels.

My love for the little mushroom fella that is Toad is well known on here but even though I love that character I can't help but pass him by and pick Princess Toadstool/Peach every time I play through this game. She's just so much fun to play as and she's stupidly overpowered. They to try to balance it out by giving her less hearts but being able to jump and then simply float past enemies and obstacles makes it totally worth it.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I played Kid Icarus a few weeks ago on the Switch actually, I remember it fondly from my childhood and playing it again it's easy to see why. I loved the weird vibe that game and Zelda II had.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markderoos said:

Have you played Kid Icarus recently @Hero-of-Time?

I think it’s another oftenly overlooked but surprisingly good NES game.

Nah. I played it a while back ( may have been on the Wii U or 3DS ) and I found it to be quite difficult. I still managed to finish it thanks to save states but I'm not in a hurry to play it again.

• Thanks 1

Zelda II does not deserve the title of black sheep, really good, if hard as nails, game. Mario 2 does a bit since it was a reskin of another game.

In between sessions of Dragon Quest IV i've been playing this little gem.

D7tYFAoUIAYFcYU?format=jpg&name=large

It's been a loooooooooooong time since I played this game. I think the last time I actually played it was when I was younger and one of my mates had it on his NES. We never did finish the game though but that didn't stop us from playing the hell out of it. Like any good puzzle game, it's tricky but very satisfying when you figure out the solution. One of the later levels was easy but at the same time it was also the one of the most difficult stages in the game for me. :D All you needed to do was to collect one item but then it was a race to the finish while being chased by an enemy. I died many times. :( 

Anyway, I ended up finishing it yesterday evening and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. I wonder if the sequels will appear on the NES service?

Spoiler

I have to say, i've enjoyed finally putting the NES service to some good use. I think next i'll play through either Super Mario Bros. 3, Blaster Master ( never played this version ) or The Legend of Zelda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This months games:

City Connection, Double Dragon 2 and Volleyball

13 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

This months games:

Rough month. :( 

I wonder how many decent games are actually left to be released on the system? Hopefully the SNES service will drop at E3 and end this madness. :D 

On 29/05/2019 at 8:54 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

In between sessions of Dragon Quest IV i've been playing this little gem.

D7tYFAoUIAYFcYU?format=jpg&name=large

It's been a loooooooooooong time since I played this game. I think the last time I actually played it was when I was younger and one of my mates had it on his NES. We never did finish the game though but that didn't stop us from playing the hell out of it. Like any good puzzle game, it's tricky but very satisfying when you figure out the solution. One of the later levels was easy but at the same time it was also the one of the most difficult stages in the game for me. :D All you needed to do was to collect one item but then it was a race to the finish while being chased by an enemy. I died many times. :( 

Anyway, I ended up finishing it yesterday evening and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. I wonder if the sequels will appear on the NES service?

Pics (Reveal hidden contents)

I have to say, i've enjoyed finally putting the NES service to some good use. I think next i'll play through either Super Mario Bros. 3, Blaster Master ( never played this version ) or The Legend of Zelda.

Little pro tip; the Japanese version of Adventures of LoLo actually has an entirely different selection of stages (the NES one was a remake of one of the MSX versions of Eggerland IIRC, while the Famicom version’s stages were entirely new); so the Japanese version is a completely different game from its western counterpart!

If you don’t already have the Famicom Online app installed, go and get it and play the Japanese version of LoLo! It’s completely free for NSO subscribers, regardless of region! 

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

If you don’t already have the Famicom Online app installed, go and get it and play the Japanese version of LoLo! It’s completely free for NSO subscribers, regardless of region! 

Thanks but I don't like faffing on with switching regions. I don't want any Japanese stuff popping up on the news section. It's bad enough having the English stuff on there!

• Thanks 1

content-4-35808-nintendoswitchonlinegameupdatesjune2019.jpg

Posted on the front page. :peace:

I linked to some old VC Weekly reviews for each game but you probably know that the only game I'll be recommending this month is Double Dragon II.

City Connection is... passable and Volleyball is... not brilliant to say the least. :p

Bring on the SNES games already. ;)

• Thanks 1

Yeah. Double Dragon 2 is a game which I'll gladly fire up the NES app for.

Sign in to follow this