NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Nintendo Switch Online: NES

9 hours ago, Sméagol said:

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Nice, good excuse to give Kid Icarus another play through.

Now I've got the music from Kid Icarus playing on loop in my head... :blank:

...which is, no different from normal as it happens. :p

A great game with an excellent soundtrack and an interesting alternative to Metroid. :peace:

Now just wait for the "Special Version" in a few months which will probably give you all of the sacred treasures and put you right before the battle with Medusa. ;)

(Might as well be playing NES Remix if that's the case)

• Haha 1

With Startropics being one of the titles available for the service this month, I decided it give this a watch as i'm not too familiar with the games. 

It's well worth a watch if you are curious about the series.

Spoiler

The part where he put the water on the paper to create the letter was fantastic. Metal Gear Solid's back of the box codec shenanigans had nothing on this! :D 

• Thanks 4

Started playing StarTropics, it’s enjoyable but the controls will definitely take some getting used to. The way changing direction lags like that is really unusual. :hehe: 

I’m liking pretty much everything else though, and it’s a strange feeling to be playing a Nintendo developed NES game for the very first time in 2019. :grin: 

Did anyone here actually play this game back in the day?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Started playing StarTropics, it’s enjoyable but the controls will definitely take some getting used to. The way changing direction lags like that is really unusual. :hehe: 

I’m liking pretty much everything else though, and it’s a strange feeling to be playing a Nintendo developed NES game for the very first time in 2019. :grin: 

Did anyone here actually play this game back in the day?

Not back in the day, but I played it for the first time (and its sequel) when it came out on the Wii VC back in 2008.  Loved it myself! Weird controls and all! (I actually prefer the stiff movement to the more free-form controls of its sequel; it actually works a lot better oddly enough!)

Love its quirky humour, the Zelda-esc dungeons, the catchy tunes and the weird puzzles/combat mix! It's a real oddball and I'd love to see it come back in some form! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds fair to me. He had about 60% chance to hit, you had roughly 70%. Plus, weapon triangle wasn't a thing back then. It's rough, but it all checks out. Heck, I just had to reset a chapter in Awakening in which a bloke with 60% chance to hit also activated a 10% Luna, killing my Nowi. Bad luck happens.

But here's some advice, @Dcubed: in the first game, only Marth can visit villages. In that one village, you'll find a humble reward that will help you against the boss. Take it with you, and you'll be very glad you did.

• Thanks 1

I started playing Startropics over the weekend and I was having fun with it until I reached chapter 3. I got to the Ghost Town and the game started showing its age. There are so many cheap things in this place, such as the invisible enemies, paths that take you back outside of the dungeon and instant deaths. The invisible enemies were a real issue because I had no idea what was actually hurting me. It wasn't until I started faffing on with the buttons that I found I could access other items. It's pretty bad that these games don't come with digital instruction manuals. :( 

I'm still working my way through the game but if it wasn't for the save state feature I probably would have given up by now. :D 

• Thanks 1

Anyone know where I can get more healing staves in Fire Emblem? I'm running out of heals. :heh: Also haven't found any Vulnerarys, At least I don't think I have.

@Jonnas?

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I started playing Startropics over the weekend and I was having fun with it until I reached chapter 3. I got to the Ghost Town and the game started showing its age. There are so many cheap things in this place, such as the invisible enemies, paths that take you back outside of the dungeon and instant deaths. The invisible enemies were a real issue because I had no idea what was actually hurting me. It wasn't until I started faffing on with the buttons that I found I could access other items. It's pretty bad that these games don't come with digital instruction manuals. :( 

I'm still working my way through the game but if it wasn't for the save state feature I probably would have given up by now. :D 

In Startropics’ case, it’s especially bad because you actually need it to beat the game!

The secret code that was included in the original instruction manual (and the electronic manual included in the Wii, 3DS and Wii U VC releases) is nowhere to be found in the NSO app anywhere... Whoops!

Spoiler

It’s 747 ;) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ike said:

Anyone know where I can get more healing staves in Fire Emblem? I'm running out of heals. :heh: Also haven't found any Vulnerarys, At least I don't think I have.

@Jonnas?

While I know a few things about Shadow Dragon, I haven't played the original at all (and I only played a handful of chapters from the DS remake). But my S-rank in research skills tells me that the first Vendor in the game comes at Chapter 8, and they sell Heals and Vulneraries. (Coincidentally, Chapter 8 is exactly as far as I got in the DS remake)

8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

While I know a few things about Shadow Dragon, I haven't played the original at all (and I only played a handful of chapters from the DS remake). But my S-rank in research skills tells me that the first Vendor in the game comes at Chapter 8, and they sell Heals and Vulneraries. (Coincidentally, Chapter 8 is exactly as far as I got in the DS remake)

Ah, sorry, I thought you had played it.

I just finished chapter 8 so I obviously managed to overlook the Vendor then. :woops:

14 hours ago, Ike said:

Ah, sorry, I thought you had played it.

I just finished chapter 8 so I obviously managed to overlook the Vendor then. :woops:

Ooph. You're sure it was Chapter 8, right? The one where Caeda can shamelessly seduce Roger?

If so, the next one is on Chapter 10, but it doesn't sell Heals (only Vulneraries). Chapter 11 has another Vendor, and that one sells both Heals and Vulneraries.

28 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Ooph. You're sure it was Chapter 8, right? The one where Caeda can shamelessly seduce Roger?

If so, the next one is on Chapter 10, but it doesn't sell Heals (only Vulneraries). Chapter 11 has another Vendor, and that one sells both Heals and Vulneraries.

Hah, yeah, I got Roger this chapter. I remembered that from Shadow Dragon, and I know just enough Japanese to get the gist of the convo. I'm not sure Marth would approve of that. :laughing:

I've got a save state in that chapter so I could check it out again to see if I missed it. I know it had like 3 armoury shops and an arena in the South.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jonnas said:

21 hours ago, Ike said:

Hah, yeah, I got Roger this chapter. I remembered that from Shadow Dragon, and I know just enough Japanese to get the gist of the convo. I'm not sure Marth would approve of that. :laughing:

I've got a save state in that chapter so I could check it out again to see if I missed it. I know it had like 3 armoury shops and an arena in the South.

The vendors were there, they looked like houses so I didn't bother visiting them. :woops:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ike said:

The vendors were there, they looked like houses so I didn't bother visiting them. :woops:

Success! To celebrate, here's Marth's response to the recruitment:

• Haha 2

I finished Startropics this morning.

D2U6Ow7UYAAIiHX?format=jpg&name=large

What started off as a nice little adventure eventually turned into a very drawn out and frustrating affair. 

There are so many dungeons in the game that use cheap tactics, such as respawning enemies, invisible enemies and hidden pathways, the last one being the worst offender. It's like the developers wanted you to walk against every wall just to make sure there was a path there or not.

I also wasn't keen on a lot of the enemy movements, including the bosses. It's like there was no real pattern to them and they were very erratic. Even using the save state feature didn't really help in figuring out where they would move next.

I'm happy that I finally got to play the game but it hasn't aged well at all and it's certainly a product of its time. I think a lot of games from that era only hold up if you played them as a kid otherwise they are pretty rough going by today's standards.

Oh, the secret code is in this version....you've just gotta complete the game to get it. :D 

D2U7qAfUYAEasYx?format=jpg&name=large

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

D2U7qAfUYAEasYx?format=jpg&name=large

I just finished the game an hour ago myself and really laughed when I saw this shot too!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There are so many dungeons in the game that use cheap tactics, such as respawning enemies, invisible enemies and hidden pathways, the last one being the worst offender. It's like the developers wanted you to walk against every wall just to make sure there was a path there or not.

Regarding the walls, I think you can see if there is a wall you can walk through (there are some darker pixels as a shadow, but it is really not apparent). And cheap tactics, don't forget the dead ends or dungeon exits. 

I'm also currently playing it, and just finished the Ghost Tunnel. Let's just say thanks for having savestates...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Regarding the walls, I think you can see if there is a wall you can walk through (there are some darker pixels as a shadow, but it is really not apparent). 

Yeah, you can see these in some of the earlier areas but some later dungeons don't have these indicators and you're left just feeling your way through the level.

17 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Success! To celebrate, here's Marth's response to the recruitment:

Hah, totally forgot about that. :laughing: I need to replay Shadow Dragon someday.

Beat Chapter 9 without taking too much damage so I was OK. Turns out Marth was holding a Physic (Blower?) staff which reaches the entire map, which helped. Broken!

Three games? Nintendo loves us again <3.

Okay selection though. Don't think I've ever finished the Lost Levels (only played in Super Mario All Stars). Punch-Out!! is nice as well. Don't really know much about Star Soldier.

I'm very pleased to see Star Soldier there. :D

Great shmup for the NES which belongs to a fantastic series. :peace:

I haven't checked in with the NES games for a while, I might do so later. :)

2 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Three games? Nintendo loves us again <3.

Okay selection though. Don't think I've ever finished the Lost Levels (only played in Super Mario All Stars). Punch-Out!! is nice as well. Don't really know much about Star Soldier.

I don't blame you for not finishing The Lost Levels! I think it was one of the hardest games I ever beat when I finally beat it on the Wii Virtual Console.. but save states in this version would alleviate a lot of the frustration :grin:

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

I don't blame you for not finishing The Lost Levels! I think it was one of the hardest games I ever beat when I finally beat it on the Wii Virtual Console.. but save states in this version would alleviate a lot of the frustration :grin:

That pretty much goes for most NES games. Crazy to think a lot of us played through these games as kids and were quite happy to bang our heads against the wall and push through to the end. 

Sign in to follow this