NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Nintendo Switch Online: NES

Nothing for me in the new batch. The SP version of Zelda is bullshit. There was no description of it in the news section, so I just jumped in, but it gives away all the secrets. It's basically for people who don't actually want to play the game.

Anyway, I'll wait for Metroid.

That's a bit disappointing... I was hoping SP might be some sort of speed run challenge with leaderboard support or something similar...

@Glen-i that was a fun but messy impromptu session. :D

I didn't want to play SMB1, but it's not the first time I point at that one in stead of Mario Bros. :indeed:

Similarly for Ice Climbers.. Didn't want to play that all, but didn't realize I was pointing at it. I was putting the pointer in the top right corner like in-game, where you're out of the way, except in the menu, well, you aren't.. Haha.

I'm also not that bad at Mario Bros, but I'm used to the arcade version, honestly. ;) I wish that one had online multiplayer. It's has a bit tighter controls, and you have time to get to the top to stop the first enemies.. That's why I was constantly rushing over there. :D

Gradius is a shame.. It was the only game where I noticed the lag (complete with wonky sound), and where it was very detrimental to the experience.

• Thanks 1

I'm just interested in seeing what the "SP" version of Metroid will entail...

I'm guessing that it'll probably just be a save state where they've entered a password that gives you full missiles/health/energy tanks from the get-go... Hopefully it'll be more interesting though...

Edited by Dcubed

It's ging to be the same as with Zelda. A bullshit version for people who don't actually want to play the game.

I haven't gone back to Zelda (I will at some point), but I'll probably have another go a Metroid, though I've played that one twice before. If I do I'll open up multiplayer in case anyone wants to watch. Twinbee may be another fun co-op game, so I hope to play that a few times with you guys. I have no interest in the other game.

The games for this month are now out and there is another SP version of a game available.

You may remember that October brought with it a surprise, special version of The Legend of Zelda, technically resulting in four games being added. Well, the very same thing has happened this month, with the already-included Gradius seeing a new version appear which throws you in at Stage 5 with a lovely maxed-out ship. If you found the original a little tricky, this should give you a helping hand.

That SP version would have been neat if you didn't still lose everything after dying anyway...

Oh well, here's the funniest thing on Metroid.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weird 2

My controllers arrived today. They look ridiculous and function well when connected to a Switch

DvLIoMYXcAs14tZ.jpg

A on the lefthand one is capture for example

• Haha 7

By the way (and I'm sure some people will love this), but you can now get a 5 euro discount on the NES controllers if you use some gold coins. edit: i was sleeping.

I wonder what games they will release in january and beyond, nothing has been announced so far.

One thing that annoys me is that you can't remove games from the game selection screen. Most of those games I will never touch (again), so they're just cluttering up my homescreen.

Edited by Sméagol

I think this is a red herring. Only two titles? It's not like there are not still plenty of other NES titles they could release. I think the 3rd title will be Super Mario World which they will announce in the direct. Of those two though, I'm definitely interested in replaying Zelda 2. Blaster Master doesn't interest me while I have Blaster Master Zero available..

Edit: I see now Japan actually has a 3rd game (Joy Mech Fighter?). I still think they'll announce SNES titles in the January Direct.

Edited by Sméagol

6 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I think this is a red herring. Only two titles? It's not like there are not still plenty of other NES titles they could release. I think the 3rd title will be Super Mario World which they will announce in the direct. Of those two though, I'm definitely interested in replaying Zelda 2. Blaster Master doesn't interest me while I have Blaster Master Zero available..

Edit: I see now Japan actually has a 3rd game (Joy Mech Fighter?). I still think they'll announce SNES titles in the January Direct.

I really wouldn't get your hopes up about any of that. It's probably just two games because, well, why not. I'm sure they'll announce SNES too, but not for a while.

No Joy Mech Fight for us (or even a replacement) is total BS, but that's nothing new coming from Nintendo's usual drip feed schedule I suppose.

At least we can get access to it by making a Japanese account this time! :D 

BTW, the Japanese versions of Zelda 2 and Blaster Master are very different from their western counterparts; definitely worth giving the FDS versions a go if you've never played them before! (It's completely free if you have an NSO subscription anyway; you can just download the app from the Japanese eShop and launch it using any account on your Switch; even your normal one - just like the EU version.  I've done it and it works perfectly fine :) )

Edited by Dcubed

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I really wouldn't get your hopes up about any of that. It's probably just two games because, well, why not. I'm sure they'll announce SNES too, but not for a while.

It's not about hopes, as I have no strong feeling one way or the other. It just seems sensible to me. Nintendo hasn't impressed with Switch online so far, NES games will not have sold subscriptions to those on the fence. SNES games won't make it a whole lot better, but it's another step in the right direction.

7 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

It's not about hopes, as I have no strong feeling one way or the other. It just seems sensible to me. Nintendo hasn't impressed with Switch online so far, NES games will not have sold subscriptions to those on the fence. SNES games won't make it a whole lot better, but it's another step in the right direction.

Oh I 100% agree SNES games will be added at some point, I just didn't think Mario World would be stealth dropped and SNES games would be announced in the January Direct. The latter could happen but I think it might be a bit longer than that till we get them.

Yeah but to me, it makes sense to do it sooner rather than later. Like I said, I don't think NES games currently are selling (or helping sell) subscriptions. And logistically it just doesn't make sense to wait. Even NES has still plenty of (great) games to offer, but at their current rate, we are well into Switch 2 before we have them all. It's one of those things where they need to step up their game or just not bother at all. Their current effort is wasted as nobody's getting excited about 3 NES games amonth (and not even all of them interesting).

I think we'd all like to see it sooner rather than later but looking at it from another angle... right now, Smash is selling huge numbers and that's doing the job of selling their online plan. People are signing up just to play Smash online. When we're all playing Yoshi and Luigi's Mansion, maybe that's when they could use a boost and SNES would be a good way to do that.

So apparently datamines have found evidence of SNES games in the Switch Online strings. 22 Games are listed, as well as 2 emulators besides NES and SNES.

Curious to see if this is real, and when we can actually expect them on the system.

• Thanks 2

Probably is real; I mean, they did announce SNES games for the service almost 2 years ago after all...

The more interesting part though is the other two emulators outside of the NES and SNES ones... Dare I hope for N64 and GCN? (Or GB/C and GBA?)

Wow.

I really hope Nintendo get over this NES-only stage and that we won't have to wait for years get N64 stuff.

Personally, I find it bollocks that Nintendo seem completely unwilling to provide ANYTHING for us who grew up in that era. No N64 Classic, no N64 NOS games and over the past decade we've only seen THREE remakes, all of which were for portable systems.

Unfortunately I feel many higher ups at Nintendo share the same mentality that doomed the Wii U. The mentality that announcing Cranky Kong was somehow on par with a new Uncharted.

I think GameBoy emulation is way more likely than GameCube at this point. 3DS runs GameBoy-games so there is already an emulator out there, and due to the portability, it makes sense for Switch to receive these as well. The other emulator must be N64.

It could also point at new classic consoles after all, even though Nintendo previously said that they don't have plans for that.

Played some Zelda 2. Met Mr. Error. Went looking for Parapa Palace in the West. Dead end. Then went into some caves without a candle. Found some trophy and some magic. Then I found Parapa Palace. In the East. Got beat up by a bunch of skeletons and died. Then forgot to save. THE END.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

As I've grown up with SNES, I have to say that I just don't care about most NES games (it would probably be better on an older TV), but I can't wait for the SNES line up.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Sign in to follow this