NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

PlayStation Classic Announced (3rd Dec 2018)

Too expensive for me, but still something I want. 

Gonna sell like crazy especially this close before Christmas :D 

As usual, Sony does what Nintendoes

It's a bit weird how they aren't revealing the full line up. Also, £90?

Edited by Ronnie

People are going to say that they’re copying Nintendo, but I mean, if Nintendo aren’t doing it this year and next year is PlayStation’s 25th anniversary, I think they should definitely do it. They probably had a digital collection or something like that in mind until the Nintendo Classic systems were released, and I’ll take a physical console over a digital collection any day! 

I don’t think that any of the Crash Bandicoot trilogy will be coming (apart from possibly Team Racing?) given last year’s collection, and so I doubt that any of the Spyro trilogy will turn up either. For a similar reason, I doubt that Resident Evil 2 will be coming, seeing as Remake will be around a month away when this releases. Also, it seems a little odd to me that they chose Ridge Racer 4 over a first party Gran Turismo game? 

I had a PS1 when I was little (in fact, I still have it) but I was so young that, of course, I missed out on pretty much all of the critically acclaimed and “must play” games, so I’m really hoping that some more of the games that I’ve heard such great things about are on their way. I completed FFVII earlier this year, so the only game of the five that they’ve shown so far that is really catching my eye is Wild Arms, which I’ve watched and read great things about. 

What other games do people expect/want to turn up? I feel like Konami being in on this would be huge, of course, with games like Silent Hill, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid. I’ve also heard a lot of great things about Final Fantasy Tactics, which I think would be different enough to VII for Square Enix to consider adding it, too. It’s a bit of a shame that a lot of the games that I’d like to see are probably a bit too niche/similar/part of the same genre for me to want here, like Xenogears or Vagrant Story, but regardless, I’m looking forward to finding out more! 

Edited by Julius Caesar

26 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

People are going to say that they’re copying Nintendo

It's laughable that people are saying that. They somehow think that Nintendo invented this whole concept of putting a bunch of games on a mini console. Loads of companies have been doing it for years, it's just that Nintendo have the brand power and quality to have made it successful. I suppose it goes to show just what kind of bubble they live in.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's laughable that people are saying that. They somehow think that Nintendo invented this whole concept of putting a bunch of games on a mini console. Loads of companies have been doing it for years, it's just that Nintendo have the brand power and quality to have made it successful. I suppose it goes to show just what kind of bubble they live in.

I'm going to assume that's referring to me.

I know Nintendo didn't invent mini consoles, it's just funny given the timing, and how Playstation has a history of copying anything Nintendo does. Even the name and promo shot are identical! Would they have done this if the NES Classic and SNES Classic never came out? I'm not so sure.

57a8dd91db5ce94f008b566d-750-375.png

Edited by Ronnie

Just now, Ronnie said:

I'm going to assume that's referring to me.

Well, yeah and everyone who has been saying the same thing this morning. 

Even if it was the case that Nintendo invented the idea and Sony did rip them off, surely that's good business? They seen an idea that works for another company and then try to apply it to their own product. If only Nintendo would do the same when it comes to their online setup. :p 

Eurogamer on the ball

I'm not saying it's a terrible thing, I'm sure it'll be a cool (if crazy overpriced) product and that's all that matters... I just laughed out loud when I saw it.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I actually can’t remember a time when I haven’t seen a mini console (probably unlicensed...) packed with old SEGA games. At most, I just think that the Nintendo NES and SNES Classics proved that mini consoles produced by the original manufacturer could generate insane demand, and sell much better than slowly drip feeding the games digitally onto their digital storefronts. 

I just wish that PlayStation had a bit more to show us in their initial reveal, because I don’t think that anyone’s really salivating over Final Fantasy VII considering that it’s on PS4, unlike Final Fantasy VI for the SNES Classic, which had such a large gap between its last console release (Wii/PS3?) and it’s release on the SNES Classic. Revealing this with games like Metal Gear Solid or Symphony of the Night, which aren’t on PS4, I feel would have made much bigger waves. 

1 minute ago, Julius Caesar said:

I just wish that PlayStation had a bit more to show us in their initial reveal, because I don’t think that anyone’s really salivating over Final Fantasy VII considering that it’s on PS4, unlike Final Fantasy VI for the SNES Classic, which had such a large gap between its last console release (Wii/PS3?) and it’s release on the SNES Classic. Revealing this with games like Metal Gear Solid or Symphony of the Night, which aren’t on PS4, I feel would have made much bigger waves. 

The fact that they haven't announced the full lineup doesn't give me confidence that it will have a lot of the killer games on it. Also, Symphony of the Night looks to be getting released on the PS4 very soon ( rated over in Korea ), so that may not even show up in this collection.

I don't actually remember playing that many PS1 games tbh. I remember Wipeout and Wipeout 2097, Fade to Black and Shockwave Assault. I know I had way more but I can't really remember what. Oh yeah the Die Hard games were fun.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

I'm sure it'll be a cool (if crazy overpriced) product and that's all that matters...

I mean, the SNES Classic had an original RRP of £69.99, didn’t it? £20 more for games from a generation later, many of which are visually more complex being in 3D, doesn’t seem too much for me, especially when £100+ was a number being floated around by many when speculating about a hypothetical price for an N64 Classic (some of that I’m sure down to the controller). I don’t know, I just guess it’s just a bit too soon to call judgement on the price seeing as we have another 15 games to be revealed. 

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The fact that they haven't announced the full lineup doesn't give me confidence that it will have a lot of the killer games on it. Also, Symphony of the Night looks to be getting released on the PS4 very soon ( rated over in Korea ), so that may not even show up in this collection.

Yeah, I’m not too confident either, so I’ll probably wait to see all of what they’re offering before I consider picking it up. 

And I had no idea, that would be awesome! Now if only Konami could get to work with getting the rest of their legacy titles already found on PS3 on the PS4...hahahahaha. :( 

3 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

And I had no idea, that would be awesome! Now if only Konami could get to work with getting the rest of their legacy titles already found on PS3 on the PS4...hahahahaha. :( 

A Castlevania collection has been rumoured for the Switch for a while now, so I imagine it's just that and it's popping up on all of the consoles and PC.

• Like 1

So... is anyone buying this?

Or waiting for the full list and then possibly buying it?

It's really odd, NES/SNES classic mini... day one purchase for me, despite owning the games many times over.

But when it comes to the Playstation Classic... nice enough but what other games will there be, will the emulation hold up... maybe I'll pre-order.

If the rest of the games aren't that compelling though, then I could just buy the one game on that initial list for the original PlayStation that I do want and call it a day.

That game of course, is Jumping Jack Flash and I really love that they've included it but I'm still on the fence about it all.

Weird that it's not got analog sticks, is that because they'd have to pay licensing fees to use the dualshock design? I never had a Playstation so don't have much nostalgia for the system but if the list of games is good enough I might consider getting one. Can't imagine that it'll have Metal Gear Solid and Symphony Of The Night on it though but will hold out hope until they announce the full list.

9 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Or waiting for the full list and then possibly buying it?

It's really odd, NES/SNES classic mini... day one purchase for me, despite owning the games many times over.

But when it comes to the Playstation Classic... nice enough but what other games will there be, will the emulation hold up... maybe I'll pre-order.

If the rest of the games aren't that compelling though, then I could just buy the one game on that initial list for the original PlayStation that I do want and call it a day.

That game of course, is Jumping Jack Flash and I really love that they've included it but I'm still on the fence about it all.

I might just for emulation potential. I doubt Dragon Warrior VII will be one of the titles. :cheeky:

Price sounds steep, i'm waiting to see the full line-up before considering a purchase.  Never owned an original PlayStation, however the classics like Crash and Spyro probably won't make the list due to the fact they are remasted on PS4.  Perhaps we'll see Metal Gear Solid appear, who knows, maybe even the original Tomb Raider.

Waiting to see what the other 15 games are. Weird to open pre-orders before you've even announced what's on the thing! If those five are the most compelling it's got then I probably won't bother.

44 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'll be getting it. It will go next to my NES and SNES mini's. It will probably get the same amount of use as they did, which was very little. :D 

• Haha 1

Ah ShopTo have it?

Well... go on then! :D

*pre-orders*

I'm going to assume that's referring to me. I know Nintendo didn't invent mini consoles, it's just funny given the timing, and how Playstation has a history of copying anything Nintendo does. Even the name and promo shot are identical! Would they have done this if the NES Classic and SNES Classic never came out? I'm not so sure.

57a8dd91db5ce94f008b566d-750-375.png

I don't get this criticism. Sony copy Nintendo sometimes, which is a good thing. Microsoft copy Sony too - Games with Gold, tagging the share feature to a button, etc.  

Basically, copying is needed to some extent because the chance you are going to come up with everything people want by yourself is low.

What's worse is when they don't copy. There is so much Nintendo could do with their online service that you could easily criticise as copying if they did it. But the console would be so much better for it.

As for the PS mini, I probably won't be buying it at 90 quid, unless it becomes a very good emulation device.

Sign in to follow this