NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Luigi's Mansion 3 (2019)

44 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Started this last night, put in an hour and a bit. Loving it. The animations and cutscenes are fantastic. You can't go 10 seconds without smiling and chuckling. Usual Charm set to a million like most Nintendo games.

My only real gripe is having heard from reviews that money isn't particularly useful so I don't get too excited collecting all the cash, as I'm not sure I'll ever use it. Maybe they could have what Odyssey did and have it unlock costumes for Luigi to wear or something.

There's a ranking at the end of the game based on how much you collect and gets you different endings.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Maybe they could have what Odyssey did and have it unlock costumes for Luigi to wear or something.

That would have been great. They could have let you use these costumes in online multiplayer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

There's a ranking at the end of the game based on how much you collect and gets you different endings.

Oh ok I'll be collecting as much as possible then, thanks!

Quick question for @Hero-of-Time as you’ve finished the game. Can you still explore the mansion after completing the game or does the game lock you out? I don’t want to miss anything lol

2 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Quick question for @Hero-of-Time as you’ve finished the game. Can you still explore the mansion after completing the game or does the game lock you out? I don’t want to miss anything lol

I fired up the game after completing it and it put me right next to the final boss but I didn't check if you could visit previous areas. Saying that, the game makes a story checkpoint/save so I assume you can load that up if need be. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Helmsly said:

I've just checked for you and yeah you can load up the story/checkpoint save that the game automatically makes. This takes you to the area just before the final boss.

• Thanks 1

So, 16 hours in and I just learned that you can get an extra few hits in by timing your A button presses when you slam a ghost as opposed to just hammering away at it.

My reaction...

I've been achievement hunting and playing online this evening. Randomers seem to have a better handle on what to do now and my last group was doing great until one of them disconnected and we were left a man down. :( 

I also noticed I unlocked a couple of little cosmetic changes for finding all the gems and Boos. Nothing major but a nice little addition either way.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've just checked for you and yeah you can load up the story/checkpoint save that the game automatically makes. This takes you to the area just before the final boss.

Thanks, I appreciate it you taking the time to do that.

I happened to finish the game a couple hours back and now I'm going to hunt down the Boo's and Gems. This game has so much charm to it. I've found myself genuinely laughing at some of the cut scenes, which rarely happens with video games for me. I can't say there is much I dislike about single player mode at all. I guess a minor thing is that I noticed the floors get smaller the further along you progress through the game. For example Floor 14 is basically a corridor lead leading to a boss fight, as opposed to the floor with all the magic stuff in it or the film set one. But it was a still a great level and I noticed Luigi is clicking his fingers along with the beat during the battle, which is just brilliant.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So, 16 hours in and I just learned that you can get an extra few hits in by timing your A button presses when you slam a ghost as opposed to just hammering away at it.

My reaction to only seeing this now that I've finished the game:

tumblr_moh0gb5DUq1qfr6udo1_500.gif

Edited by Helmsly
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MindFreak said:

I guess you mean the dark lamp or rainbow lamp or whatever it's called - the one you activate with X? Because the flashlight can also be activated with R - and I don't understand why they didn't turn on the dark lamp with L as well as X. Seems a bit weird.

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

L activates the plunger. Holding L and R gets you the dark light. All the features of the poltergust can be used with the shoulder buttons, leaving your thumb free to use the right stick.

Thanks guys. I didn’t even know this. Guess that will make it easier. 

Just done the 

Spoiler

Castle floor. Brilliant design and so much fun, shoos ghost was great again and this one took me a bit to figure out what to do. But once I found it I was beating the ghost in no time.  I love the way this game has done the floors, instead of just a new floor, each one is a theme  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love that double clicking the analogue stick to recall Gooigi sounds exactly like Gadd's 'yabbo-yabbo'. The disembodied thumbs up that Luigi does when you pick up a rare gem is simultaneously the funniest and most terrifying thing in the game.

• Haha 2

Only a few floors left now, with almost 14 hours racked up on the clock. Looks like I'll be done with the story mode at around 20 hours. I'll be sad to finish it for sure.

I had some good games online last night and I finally managed to complete 10 floors with random players. :yay: I've found that the objective that has you needing to find a lot of cash is the one that trips a lot of players up. There were countless times last night where we failed the objective because people weren't using the darklight to look for hidden items/cash to bring up the total.

I also finished the Hotel set of achievements last night.

Spoiler

EIjfL56UcAA-6vS?format=jpg&name=small

The collectible achievements are going to take some real grinding to complete, mainly the gold bars and coins. Playing online should help with those though.

• Like 1

Started this last night and loving it so far. Well, I say 'started it' but this is actually the only gaming franchise my girlfriend likes, and the first session was basically just her playing and me watching! I've just rescued the professor so hoping we can get access to the 2 player co-op soon.

So far, so good. The does does look lovely, although one thing I noticed straight away is that the game is super bright. I miss the dark, moody atmosphere of the original. 

• Thanks 1

Just finished the game, I would recommend buying a couple of bones from Gadd before heading there though - the final phase kicked my ass a couple of times. Loved so much about this game, it deserves all the plaudits its getting. I would love to see Charles Martinet get a nomination for Best Performance at The Game Awards, he does some stellar work in the game. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My reaction...

I've been achievement hunting and playing online this evening. Randomers seem to have a better handle on what to do now and my last group was doing great until one of them disconnected and we were left a man down. :( 

I also noticed I unlocked a couple of little cosmetic changes for finding all the gems and Boos. Nothing major but a nice little addition either way.

• Haha 1

Collected all Gems and Boos today and it seems you get a small reward for completing each of these tasks:

Spoiler

EIpLa-OWwAAmSgW.jpgEIpLa93XUAAsAuL.jpg

I was hoping for something a little better for all that work, but its still nice you get something. It seems there is a similar reward for doing all achievements too (Which I have not attempted yet)

Edited by Helmsly

The second to last floor....what on earth was that?! Rubbish imo. Good job I’ve pretty much loved every other floor :bouncy:

The game is quite similar to BOTW in that it gives you all your abilities early on and you have everything you need for all the puzzles in the rest of the game. 

(At least that’s the impression I get so far, 3 or so floors in)

• Thanks 1

I put in my first proper play session on this tonight, the hour on Halloween barely counted but tonight I played for a good three hours and made some decent progress. :D

I've just gained access to Floor 3 and all of the ghost encounters so far, tasks and gameplay mechanics have been really enjoyable.

The visuals really are second to none and the sound design is simply spectacular as you can tell where every sound is coming from and the volume level is just right.

Everything feels right about this game, I have no complaints and I can't wait to play more of it tomorrow. :peace:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Helmsly said:

It seems there is a similar reward for doing all achievements too (Which I have not attempted yet)

Are you attempting to unlock them all? I warn you the money ones are a grind. I've been playing the online mode to grind them out but i'm not sure how it works. Sometimes it counts to my totals and other times it doesn't. I'm wondering if you need to actually complete a run for them to get added or maybe just the floor that you are on?

• Thanks 1

About 5 hours into this now and... I wish I was playing the original again! 

It's enjoyable, sometimes creative and the cutscenes and animations have raised a laugh, but it's definitely missing something...charm, perhaps? I'm finding in just going into rooms, hoovering, blowing, using torch etc, rinse and repeat.

It's good fun, but not at the same level as the first one or even the second on 3DS as it stands, in fact it just feels like more of the same of the second one rather than something new!

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Are you attempting to unlock them all? I warn you the money ones are a grind. I've been playing the online mode to grind them out but I'm not sure how it works. Sometimes it counts to my totals and other times it doesn't. I'm wondering if you need to actually complete a run for them to get added or maybe just the floor that you are on?

I wouldn't mind going for them as i only have around 15 achievements left to get, and most of them are the fun ones, such as destroying stuff on a certain floor or finding a beach ball.

As for the money ones though, I need to get 1000 gold bars, 10 pearls and around 1000 coins.

The thing that makes me not want to go for it are the online mode ones. Mainly trying to capture 40 rare ghosts. From what I understand, Rare Ghosts only show up on Floor 5 of Scarescraper mode when you attempt the 10 floor challenge. Have you had any luck with that one?

Sign in to follow this