NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Luigi's Mansion 3 (2019)

Nice review. Out of curiosity, are there a lot of cutscenes and if so are they of the quality of the opening (and presumably closing) one?

19 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Nice review. Out of curiosity, are there a lot of cutscenes and if so are they of the quality of the opening (and presumably closing) one?

There are loads; and they're all of that same quality (though obviously nowhere near as long).

There is no FMV used throughout the game, it's all in-game (including the opening you've seen).  The game really does look that good (pretty sure it's native 1080p in docked too; might be dynamic, but if it is? it's really hard to tell because the image quality is utterly superb all throughout).

Expect something similar to the second game in that regard.  All of the animation throughout the entire game is just an absolute treat, it's like a multimillion £ budget Scooby Doo cartoon! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Great review @Dcubed. A couple of quick questions.

How long is the game?

Is the achievement system back in this one? It will help me get more bang for my buck if it is.

Happy to hear the online seemed to be working well during the review period. I'll see how things are once it launches and then decided whether to renew or not.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Great review @Dcubed. A couple of quick questions.

How long is the game?

About 10-15 hours

Is the achievement system back in this one? It will help me get more bang for my buck if it is.

Yes.  There are loads of achievements (maybe 30 odd? Can't quite remember off the top of my head)

Happy to hear the online seemed to be working well during the review period. I'll see how things are once it launches and then decided whether to renew or not.

Yeah, it's great fun.  Voice chat works well too.  It's a pretty straightforward evolution of LM2's multiplayer, so if you enjoyed that, you'll enjoy this too :) 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dcubed said:

About 10-15 hours

Yes.  There are loads of achievements (maybe 30 odd? Can't quite remember off the top of my head)

Yeah, it's great fun.  Voice chat works well too.  It's a pretty straightforward evolution of LM2's multiplayer, so if you enjoyed that, you'll enjoy this too :) 

Lovely stuff.

It's interesting reading all this praise for the game's visuals from most reviews, I was listening to Kinda Funny's preview last week and Tim Gettys said the animation and art style were fantastic but the game just looked rough and flat out bad at times. He wondered if it was down to his 4K OLED tv maybe.

Edited by Ronnie

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It's interesting reading all this praise for the game's visuals from most reviews, I was listening to Kinda Funny's preview last week and Tim Gettys said the animation and art style were fantastic but the game just looked rough and flat out bad at times. He wondered if it was down to his 4K OLED tv maybe.

Guy's a loon.  Game looks balls amazing; seriously, it puts almost every other Switch game to absolute shame (and yes, I'm playing on a 4K display as well - his TV might not be calibrated properly? Or maybe he's just blind).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

Oh wow, wasn't expecting that score!

I was worried the music wouldn't be that good based on their music choice for the theme in Tetris 99, seems I was right.

42 minutes ago, Ike said:

Oh wow, wasn't expecting that score!

I was worried the music wouldn't be that good based on their music choice for the theme in Tetris 99, seems I was right.

Yeah, it's the only real blemish I see with the game really.  The music isn't bad or anything, it's just nothing really special or memorable (though the returning music from LM1 and LM2 sound great of course).

Sound design and surround sound mixing is off the hook though! It's so incredibly good that it elevated the sound score on its own! Seriously! It even gives Star Fox Zero's surround sound mix a run for its money! (though I'd still put SFZ on top though for its incredible Gamepad 3D audio tech).

Edited by Dcubed

8 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

Wait...you can’t invert the Y-axis in this?? :cry:

Oh shoot! Knew I forgot to mention something!

Yeah, you can’t unfortunately (a very bizarre choice considering that Nintendo usually promote inverted over non-inverted!).  Gyro works as you’d expect though.

I've been watching @Dcubed play it (and being his Gooigi now and again) and can confirm that this game is a proper contender for best looking Switch game so far.

I haven't read his review yet, so he might have mentioned this. But you can do 2-player co-op even in the online mode. The 2 people co-oping still have to stay on the same screen, but it does mean you could effectively have 8 player Scare Scraper, which will no doubt be a hilarious cacophony of Luigi noises.

Game's great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I would strongly advise against skipping it...

Luigi's Mansion 3

content-2-36030-luigismansion3sidebox.jpg

Click me if you dare!

Ok, you have convinced me. I also don’t want to miss out on my free gifts or the opportunity to potentially trade it in this time next week for £30+.

I may as well accept that Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition is going to take me forever to complete, and it’s by no means a bad thing.

Edited by Tim B
  • Thanks 1

Mine also arrived (thank you Shopto) and I've put a couple of hours into it. 

Animations are top notch. Some of the expressions that Luigi pulls are hilarious. The VB reference also got a laugh out of me. The fact the E. Gadd said it would fly off the shelves...perfect. :D 

Speaking of the Professor, I went to his bathroom and found he clearly wipes his backside with cash as he was using bills as a toilet roll!

Couple of negatives so far. The first is that the character models have loads of jaggies/no anti aliasing. This was very noticable during the opening scene and it's stuck with me ever since. I haven't tried it in handheld mode but it's pretty blatant on my TV. 

The second niggle I have is that E. Gadd won't shut up. I'm trying to just potter around and explore the place but he keeps calling me and telling me what to do. Hopefully this will stop happening as I progress further into the game.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Very good review - you're right at the end there about being a game from another age. Thinking about these more insular, meticulous games - you're right I can't think of many that are around at the moment.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Mine also arrived (thank you Shopto) and I've put a couple of hours into it. 

Animations are top notch. Some of the expressions that Luigi pulls are hilarious. The VB reference also got a laugh out of me. The fact the E. Gadd said it would fly off the shelves...perfect. :D 

Yup, I cackled like a hyena when he said that red was all the rage :laughing:

Speaking of the Professor, I went to his bathroom and found he clearly wipes his backside with cash as he was using bills as a toilet roll!

Couple of negatives so far. The first is that the character models have loads of jaggies/no anti aliasing. This was very noticable during the opening scene and it's stuck with me ever since. I haven't tried it in handheld mode but it's pretty blatant on my TV. 

That's really weird... that doesn't represent my experience I've had... Do you have sharpening whacked up on your telly? Your TV should always have sharpening set to zero if that's the case.  There are no visible jaggies on my TV, nor in handheld mode.  Game looks pristine on my end.

The second niggle I have is that E. Gadd won't shut up. I'm trying to just potter around and explore the place but he keeps calling me and telling me what to do. Hopefully this will stop happening as I progress further into the game.

Ahh, you can actually turn off his hints in the options menu.  That'll help shut him up ;) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Ahh, you can actually turn off his hints in the options menu.  That'll help shut him up ;) 

Good to know I might switch this off from the start 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve played about three hours and this game is tremendous fun. Memories of playing Dark Moon on the 3DS have come flooding back and I love it. Though I don’t remember that much.

It’s easily fun enough playing just as Luigi but the game really steps up a gear when Gooigi makes an appearance. The co-op puzzles are so inventive and brilliant, and I’m still only on the first few floors.

What surprised me slightly is that the demo I played at EGX, where I struggled to get to grips with everything, actually wasn’t the start of the game. I’m glad because the actual starting tutorial eases you in very gradually. After 1-2 hours I felt like I had sufficiently mastered all of the controls.

There are actually some genuine jump scares, though they are very cartoony and it’s possible to see most of them coming. They’re hilarious! It would be great fun to play this with some younger children to see their reactions :D

The main game seems straightforward enough but it seems finding some of the collectibles will provide a real challenge. I thought I was going mad when I couldn’t obtain some of the early gemstones despite seeing where they were...turns out I needed more equipment.

Combat is really fun and I’m just about starting to see more variation in the ghosts.

Haven’t tried the multiplayer yet but will give it a go in the next couple of days.

Definitely turn Professor E. Gadd’s tips off in the settings and turn up the motion controls to 3.

Nintendo are really spoiling us this year with yet another essential purchase. Happy Halloween!!! RIP my social life.

Edited by Tim B
  • Thanks 1

The one thing I found annoying about this game was that it’s hard to aim your dark light with X but then I sussed out that if you hold down both L and R, you can aim freely with it. Don’t remember seeing that in the tutorial. Also, L aims the plunger and R does the light. Much easier this way! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

The one thing I found annoying about this game was that it’s hard to aim your dark light with X but then I sussed out that if you hold down both L and R, you can aim freely with it. Don’t remember seeing that in the tutorial. Also, L aims the plunger and R does the light. Much easier this way! :D

Yeah, I was struggling with that until i figured it out. Using the L and R buttons is definitely the way to go about things.

I was able to put a couple of hours into the game this morning ( had a dentist appointment so started work late) and i've really enjoyed what i've played so far ( just nabbed the button for the 8th floor), even more so now the visuals are nice and smooth. Thanks again @Dcubed.

What I love about this is how you really need to think about how you utilise the moves you have at your disposal and interact with the environment in different ways. The puzzles aren't really that hard, at least at the moment, but they do require a little bit of thinking. However, I was stumped a couple of times, only to figure out the solution which was in my face the whole time. I keep forgetting about the black light and Gooigi Yeah, definitely a couple of DUH moments on my behalf. :p 

I've unlocked a few of the achievements that are on offer (looks to be 50+ of them!) and seen that some of the require multiplayer. If I am going to go for the lot of them it looks like i'll have to sign up to the online service again. I'll see how I get on with the single player stuff before I make a decision on it.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was able to put a couple of hours into the game this morning ( had a dentist appointment so started work late) and i've really enjoyed what i've played so far ( just nabbed the button for the 8th floor), even more so now the visuals are nice and smooth. Thanks again @Dcubed.

Luckily the game runs great in handheld so you could just keep playing while in the chair with someone digging around in your mouth. :p

I wasn't thinking about getting this game as I've never played a LM game before (I know!), but man this all sounds quite convincing. I may pick up the LM remaster first as I've seen it for around 20€ new on 3DS and continue from there. In fact I have LM for the GameCube at home borrowed from a friend but never got around to playing it.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Luckily the game runs great in handheld so you could just keep playing while in the chair with someone digging around in your mouth. :p

I wasn't thinking about getting this game as I've never played a LM game before (I know!), but man this all sounds quite convincing. I may pick up the LM remaster first as I've seen it for around 20€ new on 3DS and continue from there. In fact I have LM for the GameCube at home borrowed from a friend but never got around to playing it.

You can't go wrong with any of them. So you'll be in for a treat whichever one you decide to play. The first one can be knocked out in around 4-5 hours. Perfect if you haven't got much time at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this