NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

But you'll surely have expected them to update the game with new content every month or two, they even said they would be doing it. That's why I haven't terraformed my island in the first month and left half of it open to development.

Not with what the datamined data is suggesting. Some of it's quite substantial stuff that could really change how things play.

Yes, it's free content but it's drip fed and that's not how I like to play my games. I had the very same issue with Splatoon and Mario Tennis.

Games not releasing as a complete package is one of my biggest gaming pet peeves in this whole GaaS/Live Service era we are in.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Well, yes, obviously you can say well they should give us even more content now, and even more more content later.

I'm not saying they should give us "even more" content now, I am saying that this is more or less base content that seems to have been cut, since it was all in New Leaf from day 1 (i.e. having more than just 1 shop upgrade, art being in the game, Brewster, Redd visiting, etc.).

In my opinion they have either already developed this content but are holding it back and dolloping it out piecemeal over time to increase player retention, or (arguably worse), they haven't finished developing it yet, and the game went live prematurely. Regarding option 1, we know Nintendo have form for this, like with Splatoon 2 (content that was almost certainly developed during the main game was held back as amiibo "unlockable content").

Obviously there are some additional things in New Horizons that weren't in the past ones (like terraforming and crafting), but this is to be expected in a sequel which should be an improvement over the last game in order to justify its existence. But at the same time, I don't expect certain staples of the game to be absent at launch.

Anyway, whatever, it's just interesting how more free content can be turned into a bad thing by some ::shrug: 

I would argue that you are misconstruing people's comments by saying that, either deliberately or naively...

Edited by Sheikah
  • Thanks 1

It actually works for AC. The game's already supposed to be a year long engagement, and some of you guys are rushing through the game too quickly. I'm not in a rush to terraform my island completely, have my collection 100% complete, and be done with the game. It was a problem with all the games, but especially with this one with the internet just trivializes most aspects of the game. The dlc approach, while artificial, is actually an effective way of spreading the engagement of the game over the year. Engagement is slowing down right now because people already have seen most of the content, but there will be a resurge when there's a big update, like it would have for any other game getting a big update or dlc. Long term engagement is better for Animal Crossing and Nintendo, and ultimately, for us. The only downside.. "It's not all on the cartridge".

It's raining on my island, my gate's open, and will be open for another half hour to an hour.. Trying to catch my 3rd coelacanth for CJ, who's visiting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

It actually works for AC. The game's already supposed to be a year long engagement, and some of you guys are rushing through the game too quickly. I'm not in a rush to terraform my island completely, have my collection 100% complete, and be done with the game. It was a problem with all the games, but especially with this one with the internet just trivializes most aspects of the game. The dlc approach, while artificial, is actually an effective way of spreading the engagement of the game over the year. Engagement is slowing down right now because people already have seen most of the content, but there will be a resurge when there's a big update, like it would have for any other game getting a big update or dlc. Long term engagement is better for Animal Crossing and Nintendo, and ultimately, for us. The only downside.. "It's not all on the cartridge".

It's raining on my island, my gate's open, and will be open for another half hour to an hour.. Trying to catch my 3rd coelacanth for CJ, who's visiting.

See I don't agree with your bolded part because nobody here (to my knowledge) has been time travelling. So long as nobody time travels, nobody is rushing.

For this reason:

- Nobody will have caught all fish/bugs until next year

- Nobody yet has their shop upgraded because it is time gated

- Nobody has experienced a seasonal event yet other than Bunny Day

I have only just finished my fossil collection, 95% of which I'd say I got myself just by digging up the 4 fossils you get every day, so I'd say I finished my collection around a time that makes sense rather than it being an element of rushing. And Nintendo deemed to make these tradeable, and trading is fun, so I don't see a problem with finishing it off this way.

I finished my house loans, because of the turnip market which was created by Nintendo, and lets you make money very easily this way without any element of rushing or real thought to it.

My comment on cut content refers to things that could be in the game now but couldn't be rushed for by people who aren't time travelling. For instance, Redd could have been appearing from Day 1, just like some of the other NPCs, but could still take months (or even a year) to get all of his art.

I will say though, there is absolutely no way to play this game "correctly", so while you say people are rushing, they could also justifiably say you are playing it too slow. There's no right or wrong!

Edited by Sheikah

7 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I have seen people claiming rare fish spawn more often on mystery islands. I haven't done a lot of fishing there, but I can kinda back it up. Got three Coealacanth in like 15 minutes earlier today, without bait.

It should rain on the mystery island if rains in your town. At least it did for me as I went back and forth between mystery islands hunting for fossils.

6 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I hate it when people say this, no matter what the game. People play video games at different paces. Just because you want to take it slowly doesn't mean to say others are rushing it or playing it the wrong way. It's something i've seen crop up time and time again throughout the years, especially where i'm concerned. I don't point fingers at others saying that they are playing a game too slowly. Why? Because it's up to the person playing the game how much time they decided to put into it at any given moment. Yes, a game like AC is designed to be just checked in now and then but there's nothing wrong with dedicating more time to the game if the person chooses to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I hate it when people say this, no matter what the game. People play video games at different paces. Just because you want to take it slowly doesn't mean to say others are rushing it or playing it the wrong way. It's something i've seen crop up time and time again throughout the years, especially where i'm concerned. I don't point fingers at others saying that they are playing a game too slowly. Why? Because it's up to the person playing the game how much time they decided to put into it at any given moment. Yes, a game like AC is designed to be just checked in now and then but there's nothing wrong with dedicating more time to the game if the person chooses to do so.

Can we sticky or have this response hotkeyed for the next time someone comments on rushing through a game. :p

I don't mean to take a dig Smeagol, but it is something I often see brought up on these forums too. This is really all there is to it, though - some people like to play the game quicker than others. If someone has a really great idea for terraforming their island and the enthusiasm to do it, then that might be all they want to do over the next week. Some people however only want to play little pieces of the game over a longer period of time. There is no right or wrong, especially with a game like this, and Nintendo have cleverly time gated a lot of content anyway.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Thanks 2

To be fair though, you are playing it wrong Hero and should always be called out on it. You are the worst.

• Sad 1

I was speaking more in general terns, not just people here, since I've been to an island that was already completely terraformed and all.

I mean it's fine, and yeah, things like having a complete fossil collection is about right, since mine's also almost complete, and I've mostly dug those up myself.

The thing is, there is an intended pace to the game. You can't say there's not a right way to play it. The game's designed a certain way, and what some of you guys aren't getting, is that most of this is deliberate, and they didn't change this after several games for a reason. They seriously need to have an UX designer overhaul the interface in places where it matters., like the online stuff.

But I see people complain about things being to slow or to tedious. If things like terraforming are too tedious for you and it becomes a factor, or if you complain about people on turnip exchange demanding outrageous fees for allowing you to sell your turnips for 10000000 bells you can't spend anyway, but still kinda want to go through with it, then yes, you are playing the game incorrectly. You either need to slow down, or accept the game's not (designed) for you. Compare it to demanding a lego like editor for Minecraft to design your thingies there.

I can imagine terraforming being tedious for someone who wants to overhaul their island completely in a week or so, but it's not been a factor for me. To me, it seems completely fitting for Animal Crossing.

And I was grateful to @Sheikah for letting me sell my turnips on his island last time. Did it literally last minute though, and was just too late for my 2nd trip. Sold my first batch for 1,7 million, enough to pay off my 2nd to last house upgrade. Still sold my 2nd batch for the much lower price of 166. Could have searched for other islands, but I don't need the money anyway. It's like "whatever". :peace:

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

I have yet to see any rain in my game. I think i have a broken copy.

19 minutes ago, bob said:

I had the exact same thing happen until last Wednesday, when we finally had torrential downpour on my island. 

So it'll come, at some point, probably, maybe...

:p

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

The dlc approach, while artificial, is actually an effective way of spreading the engagement of the game over the year.

100% agree, it's the smartest thing they did with this game. In a game full of smart decisions. 

33 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

The game's designed a certain way, and what some of you guys aren't getting, is that most of this is deliberate, and they didn't change this after several games for a reason.

The point is, play the game however you want to play the game, but don't complain when the game is designed a certain way and you think it should be changed to suit a completely different model. A life sim IS a game as service, it's supposed to be a long term thing. I'm really pleased they're hiding all the seasonal updates behind patches. Stops leakers from ruining everything (or at least, it's supposed to), something many on this board have complained about it in the past.

Edited by Ronnie

Regarding the potential DLC...

My take on this is there's a difference between something that feels like a genuine addition to the game, like if they added an island where you could go and do different things, and long-time traditional content like furniture.  Most of the rumoured additions feel pretty borderline to me, although undoubtedly some of them have been in previous games.

There's also a massive difference between paid DLC and free updates.  If they just haven't yet had time to put in all the furniture, fair enough.  I've never been a fan of paid DLC though, so if there's any intention to charge for it, that does feel a bit cheeky.

As it stands, New Horizons feels like a well-rounded game except for the lack of furniture.  I generally have enough to do, especially as there are new fish and bugs to catch every month.  But the lack of previous furniture series, eg. Sleek, does make it feel incomplete.

Other than that, I hope we get dinosaur models.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

See I don't agree with your bolded part because nobody here (to my knowledge) has been time travelling. So long as nobody time travels, nobody is rushing.

For this reason:

- Nobody yet has their shop upgraded because it is time gated

I've time travelled and have the upgraded shop :p

I've only done it because of the stupid incline/bridge build/demolish one per day limitation (why can't you build and destroy on the same day?!) and the fact that I've moved a building somewhere only to find out that it's one space too close to where I planned to put a bridge. Fuck knows I'm not spending two days to move it one space to the left (again, why do they have that limitation where you can't just nudge it over a space?!), especially when in those two days I could be moving other buildings I want to relocate!

I do love this game, but some of those things really annoy me! I think they should just have scaling costs, so 50,000 bells to move a building, but if you want to move a second building it would cost another 75,000/100,000 bells. Put some excuse about having to hire extra resource to complete the request in time. That way if you have the money and want it done quick you can.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

I was speaking more in general terns, not just people here, since I've been to an island that was already completely terraformed and all.

I mean it's fine, and yeah, things like having a complete fossil collection is about right, since mine's also almost complete, and I've mostly dug those up myself.

The thing is, there is an intended pace to the game. You can't say there's not a right way to play it. The game's designed a certain way, and what some of you guys aren't getting, is that most of this is deliberate, and they didn't change this after several games for a reason. They seriously need to have an UX designer overhaul the interface in places where it matters., like the online stuff.

But I see people complain about things being to slow or to tedious. If things like terraforming are too tedious for you and it becomes a factor, or if you complain about people on turnip exchange demanding outrageous fees for allowing you to sell your turnips for 10000000 bells you can't spend anyway, but still kinda want to go through with it, then yes, you are playing the game incorrectly. You either need to slow down, or accept the game's not (designed) for you. Compare it to demanding a lego like editor for Minecraft to design your thingies there.

I can imagine terraforming being tedious for someone who wants to overhaul their island completely in a week or so, but it's not been a factor for me. To me, it seems completely fitting for Animal Crossing.

And I was grateful to @Sheikah for letting me sell my turnips on his island last time. Did it literally last minute though, and was just too late for my 2nd trip. Sold my first batch for 1,7 million, enough to pay off my 2nd to last house upgrade. Still sold my 2nd batch for the much lower price of 166. Could have searched for other islands, but I don't need the money anyway. It's like "whatever". :peace:

See I feel this is a bit of a different argument now - people complaining about things being slow is different to people actually rushing. For the reasons I gave I don't think anyone has been rushing (what you originally said) because Nintendo don't let you; so much is time gated (like collecting all fish, fossils, upgrades, and events) that you can't rush it even if you want to, so long as you're legit. And I don't think you can rush terraforming, because Nintendo let you do as much of it in a day as you want (apart from moving structures around).

As for complaining about things taking ages, I'd say that depends. There a lot of quality of life improvements Nintendo could make that would save time that I do not believe would detract from the experience. Reducing the amount of dialogue boxes when visiting other islands or doing the fishing tournament, for instance, or crafting (fish bait crafting can be very tedious). Terraforming is a bit slow but as someone who doesn't have much interest in doing it, I can't say it has really bothered me.

1 hour ago, bob said:

It's possible they only push out the weather schedule to users with a Nintendo Switch Online subscription. 

:indeed:

• Haha 5

It's possible they only push out the weather schedule to users with a Nintendo Switch Online subscription. 

:indeed:
I knew it!

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

See I feel this is a bit of a different argument now - people complaining about things being slow is different to people actually rushing.

To me it's not. I think most of the complaints I see, aside from the big ones like the interface and online, usually boil down to "I want things now, but the game doesn't give it to me". This is not an issue with the game, this is an issue with the people complaining. The game is not designed to give you everything right now, the game is desgined to give you everything over the course of a year. Also some people seem to want to do things the game isn't designed to do. Those people should play Sim City for more city building options. This game's a year-long collectathon.

Speaking of art though.

https://experiments.getty.edu/ac-art-generator

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

To me it's not. I think most of the complaints I see, aside from the big ones like the interface and online, usually boil down to "I want things now, but the game doesn't give it to me". This is not an issue with the game, this is an issue with the people complaining. The game is not designed to give you everything right now, the game is desgined to give you everything over the course of a year. Also some people seem to want to do things the game isn't designed to do. Those people should play Sim City for more city building options. This game's a year-long collectathon.

Right but, regardless of attitude, the people aren't rushing, because the game doesn't let them. Everything else people do that Nintendo allow them to do (terraform a lot in a day, for instance) is fair game in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Right but, regardless of attitude, the people aren't rushing, because the game doesn't let them. Everything else people do that Nintendo allow them to do (terraform a lot in a day, for instance) is fair game in my opinion.

Like I said, I was speaking in general terms, and some (.. a lot) people are rushing. If you're buying for millions worth of turnips, spend hours queuing multiple times on turnip exchange to get even more money, then use that money to buy all the missing stuff in your collection on Nookazon, then yes, you are rushing.

Which is all perfectly fine, but don't go complain about any of the hassle that comes with it.

If everyone played that way, the game would be dead some time next month, and Nintendo would have no incentive to update the game and create dlc at all.

15 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Speaking of using tools outside the in-game Nintendo given provisions to have something this very instant instead of playing as intended and taking your time. I tell you, some people just don't deserve Animal Crossing. Bah.

Nice sarcastic comment for no reason at all. Thanks dude.

• Haha 1

Whoa wait what?! You can do more than one bridge once you get the new shop?! Is that right

Yesss if so. I only have two bridges and one incline but if I can do more at once that’ll be amazing. 

Found a Lilly of the valley (which has since been relocated to the secret garden area of my island :heh:) so have now purposely lowered my rating back to 3 stars by removing pretty much everything I had “decorated” the island with in order to reach 5 stars. Yep, all the furniture that had no place being outside, all the fences and other random stuff, all gone. It’s almost like being back on the deserted island! :grin: 

Think I’m going to take this opportunity to do a bit more terraforming before re-decorating again, and this time around I’m going to take it slow and only place stuff that I actually like. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to get back to a 5 star rating, if indeed I do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The museum entrance being 3 blocks wide is doing my OCD no favours at all :cry:

• Like 1