NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

I was super excited at first but definitely a little bummed that by the end of it we didn't see any gameplay and just had a title. I would hope its first half of 2019 and not an Autumn/Winter release but I'd expect them to have shown off something more for that to be the case. I guess its a positive that we don't have much to go on as it means we can't lose our minds imagining what new mechanic the game is going to involve. 

And also @Ronnie it's really unsettling seeing you with a different avatar, in my head you are the kid from Balloon Fight, not Mario sitting on a bench!

• Haha 1

No. I lost many hours to New Leaf to what is basically living a second life amongst cute animals gossiping about one another......

I say no.

• Thanks 1

At first I was excited as hell, then I began to suspect it was a Smash-announcement, then it WAS a Smash-announcement...

I have to admit. If it had ended there and then, my phone would have been smashed (Hah!) on the wall.

Never have been so happy to be trolled. ;)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J530F met Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Strange Cookie said:

Never have been so happy to be trolled. ;)

They're getting more troll every Direct!

Bumped so thread title can be edited. 

Just watching the Treehouse now, has it been confirmed that the island is the only location or is there a proper town too?

Well...this might be the reason for my mom to buy a Switch.

I'm pretty sure her playtime of Animal Crossing New Leaf is double than all of yours combined. :p 

The wait for this is going to be absolutely unbearable now... :shakehead It looks outstanding!! :heart:

I just love how they've updated the visuals with such a high level of detail and polish, yet also managed to retain the classic vibe of Animal Crossing. Even tiny details, like the original triangle texture still being used in little patches on the grass is so nice to see. :love: It probably would've been easier to scrap something like that entirely for this more detailed visual style, but they made sure it was in there. :cool: The added realism to stuff like water and weather effects is jaw-dropping too, check out the river in that scene where it's raining! :o The Villagers hair looks super shiny now, and appears to be more fluid. As do the the trees and other vegetation, thanks to the varying levels of wind blowing them about. Animals and villagers also seem much more expressive, with eye movements that track other characters/items.
So many aspects of the game (no matter how small) appear to have been enhanced in some way.  :bouncy:

I honestly never thought an Animal Crossing game could look this good and still feel like a traditional Animal Crossing, but yeah they nailed it. :)

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is the multiplayer. It will no doubt be amazing to have 8 players in the game simultaneously, but the reason I'm concerned is having seen in the Treehouse segment how indoor areas still require loading after the transition. I was really hoping they would've found a way to make it completely seamless for this version, to avoid interruptions when playing with others. :hmm: I suppose it's always possible they might have found another solution to that problem though, I guess time will tell.

Anyway, March 2020 can't get here soon enough. :yay:

• Like 3

And with nine months still to wait:cry:, there'll be plenty more to show off. They do the usual high level concept in the reveal, then build on top of that in future updates, and there's at least a couple of Directs worth before release.

15 minutes ago, RedShell said:

So many aspects of the game (no matter how small) appear to have been enhanced in some way.

Nintendo are the masters of detail and polish. Especially these past couple of gens. :heart:

Visually I think it looks lovely, the only thing I don't like is the sea animation on the beach but I'm sure that'll improve. The rivers look lovely, and I think the animations have been sped up a bit. UI looks nice too, much better than New Leaf.

Edited by Ronnie

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

the only thing I don't like is the sea animation on the beach but I'm sure that'll improve.

Yeah, that does seem a bit off actually. Not sure if it's the motion or the design of the water there, but it doesn't really match the look they've got going with everything else. :blank: Plenty of time for them to improve that though... unfortunately. :heh:

No, despite obviously being disappointed, I am also glad this has been delayed. Make it as good as it can be! :)

• Like 1

These games are sheer magic, and what @RedShell has said about the graphics has made me appreciate it a bit more now.

The only thing I'm mildly concerned about is the online.  3DS had free online, so it was easy to swap items, but I don't subscribe to the Switch online scheme and therefore hope it's not too hard to complete full furniture sets.

40 minutes ago, Grazza said:

The only thing I'm mildly concerned about is the online.  3DS had free online, so it was easy to swap items, but I don't subscribe to the Switch online scheme and therefore hope it's not too hard to complete full furniture sets.

That's a good point, I'd not thought about that. It would certainly be nice if there was a way to at least trade items without an online subscription, but can't really see it happening TBH. Pretty sure Nintendo will be keen to use New Horizons as a way to incentivise new online subscriptions/renewals in 2020, in which case all online functionally will probably be locked.

Perhaps they'll do something similar to Super Mario Maker 2 and release a version of Animal Crossing that also includes a 12 month subscription.

I'm sure it'll work the same way as trading in Pokémon Let's Go, which was seamless and not at all a piece of solid crap.

• Haha 1

I think this looks great, like they've made a pretty version of Animal Crossing with extra stuff to do. I do think online really needs to be robust (no pausing the game for all visitors while a new visitor joins, no having to open some physical gate in game, for instance).

I see seed growing is a thing...that could be fun it they really flesh it out. Animal Crossing has always felt like something you can do for an hour a day of new stuff and then all you have is fishing, so more stuff would be cool. Plus I loved the old school Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley, so this is a good move by me.

IGN have posted an article with a few new details about the game.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/06/13/how-tom-nook-uses-his-money-and-14-more-details-about-animal-crossing-new-horizons-e3-2019

The ones they mention that stood out to me are that the game doesn't connect with the mobile game and that voice chat will be available through the phone app....hey, it's better than having to use Wii Speak! :D 

• Thanks 1

It's actually not since Wii speak was incorporated into the system.

6 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

It's actually not since Wii speak was incorporated into the system.

It was a horrible microphone that you had to plug in and stick on top of the TV. We are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

We will. Wii speak worked for me, the Switch voice chat doesn't.

Yeah, Wii speak was definitely more effective than the Switch mobile app.

So apparently cloud saves won't be supported for this game. Not cool. :sad:

Hopefully there will at least be an option to transfer saves locally between Switch systems (I believe Splatoon 2 allows for this) or Nintendo get a Switch hardware revision out before New Horizons launches. :hmm: I wouldn't be too fussed about losing my Splatoon data now actually, but something like Animal Crossing is a very different matter.

So apparently cloud saves won't be supported for this game. Not cool. :sad:
Hopefully there will at least be an option to transfer saves locally between Switch systems (I believe Splatoon 2 allows for this) or Nintendo get a Switch hardware revision out before New Horizons launches. :hmm: I wouldn't be too fussed about losing my Splatoon data now actually, but something like Animal Crossing is a very different matter.
That is so silly. Literally what are we paying for with this online service?!