NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

They were a pain for me. We should have less tree bugs this month so they may spawn a bit better. I’d usually go round my island from 5:30 till 7pm amd usually only see 3 or 4 if I was lucky. Definitely walk by trees slowly, they scare easily and you’ll miss them. Best time was the first hour as the sunset makes it a bit easier to see them. Closer to 7 and it seemed a bit darker to see them. Otherwise just walk round and round

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

Any tips on getting Walking Sticks to spawn? I need two more to get the model made but I haven't even spotted one for ages

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip @BowserBasher - I just managed to snag two of them. They were really hard to see, I think I was being hampered by having the screen set to auto brightness so the light at half 5ish and having the brightness on full made them stand out a little bit more. 

• Like 1

Apparently they released the update a day early.. I'm downloading something now.

.. Very slowly.

So, apart from my usual routine, I got to do several new things. Some things I forgot from the trailer, or wasn't exactly sure how they worked. I'll put them in spoilers for those who want to experience them fresh.

Spoiler
  • So first I spend quite some time in Residential Services.. First up was Isabelle with her new Ordnances.. For me Night Owl was an obvious choice, villagers will stay up later, but more importantly, shops will also close later. Not sure how much later.
  • Then was Nook for the storage upgrade, but I didn have the inventory space for the bells required, so I left that for later.
  • Then the Nook stop shop, which had one new item which I hadn't seen before.
  • The Nook Miles Rewards had a whole bunch of new stuff. First time in a long time I had an actual use for my (over a million of) Nook miles. New apps and updates, DIY recipes, new emotions, hairstyles, and several new items.
  • Next was the Nook shop, which unfortunately didn't have any new furniture for me, but did have cooking recipes and some other new diys.
  • Then took a sea trip with Kapp'n. To be honest, those songs will get old after this first time, so I hope you can skip them.. I didn't try for this first time. Also annoying is the fact you can only do it once each day.. I need to find Brewster on one of these islands. The tour itself is very similar to a Dodo tour. But you'll get different sets of islands. Mine had Holly bushes and mums, which I don get on the mystery islands. No free furniture or wasp from a tree, but there were rocks and weeds and fruit trees, and I found a Gyroid fragment, then I head back.
  • So the Gyroid, I forgot what you had to do with them, I think the trailer mentioned burying and watering them, so that's what I did, and it seems to be doing something, so I'll find out tomorrow what happens.
  • Went to the museum for the usual fossil assesment, and got some new stuff from Blathers. Some posters for the completed museum sections, plus the sidequest for Brewster. He doesn't just show up and start a café.
  • Then visited Harv.. You can donate money to get the shops all in one place. Annoyingly.. you can also only do one each day. If I had known, I'd had picked Redd, and not the first one I checked, which was Kicks.
  • Then finally, I checked the cooking recipes. You'll need ingredients which you'll have to grow, however I do not know where to get the seeds, but I assume from Leif, the useless idiot, making him slightly less useless. But he was on my island a few days ago, so I won't see him for over a week. However, there are some recipes that require common ingredients, which had me finally doing a fishing session again for the first time in a long while, along with some diving. So far I've only gotten new cooking recipes from fishing. I wonder if you can get them from villagers? I suspect collecting those will take a while.. I suspect things like Salmon and squid will be used in recipes, but they're not in season. Anyway, I cooked what I could, and found out you can gift food to villagers. I'm also wondering if everyone get's a fruit juice from their original native fruit? I got a peach juice in my basic recipes, but I assume the other fruit have juices too, but I have no idea how to get the recipe for those.
  • Annoyingly, they added a bunch of new Nook Miles challenges, I was afraid of that. :indeed: More grinding.

Edited by Sméagol

There seems to be a lot of small things that Nintendo never mentioned that have been added. I’m trying to avoid a lot, but just browsing Reddit and I’m seeing lots of little touches or additions to the game that were never mentioned. 

• Like 1

Couldn't help myself. Had to make that South Park reference.

And my magnum opus of "First day with new camera"

FDW1GthUYAwyFWL?format=jpg&name=large

I waited 15 minutes for that perfect shot. No regrets!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Ok forget the rest of the update, the new camera mode is the winner. Love what I’m seeing. 

Yes, it's been my favorite thing to mess around with

• Like 1

They should just rename Pro Camera to "Jump Scare Camera"

Stuff keeps startling me when I use it!

Best not to use these recipes in real life...

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 4
  • Weird 1

It seems you can store DIY cards in your storage now. Also the NSO app has been updated with some new items:

q7WpF1A.png

Edited by Helmsly

4 hours ago, Helmsly said:

It seems you can store DIY cards in your storage now.

Finally!! Horrible flashbacks to throwing them on the floor in a random room in my house like a peasant.

• Like 1

Happy Home Paradise is available.

I've already given various animals an ominous factory, a room that is FAR too sparkly, and the above literary horror.

And yes, there are more books inside.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

You can now finally have your birthday cake.. and eat it too.

Seasonal items now always show up in the nook shop app.

All the fish that gave me recipes so far:

Spoiler
  • sea bass
  • dab
  • horse mackarel
  • red snapper
  • olive flounder (requires a skinny mushroom!)
  • blu marlin
  • anchovy

I think that's it.

Weirdly enough, no recipe for the tuna or squid.

I also didn't get any recipes so far from river or pond fish, nor from sea creatures.

Edited by Sméagol

It looks like there's plenty to do after the upgrade! Had my first stretching session yesterday with @Glen-i and @BowserBasher, and did a couple of things already on my island. Ordered a bunch of new items plus all the things from the Nook Miles, went on a boat trip with Kapp'n and spent 100,000 bells to get Leif on Harv's island, hoping he brings the veg. Redd will be next!

Got some ideas for restructuring my island, with the vegetables on the way, but also a bunch of cool new items to get from Nook Shopping. Still on the fence about the DLC, curious to hear your impressions if it is solid and fun and justifies the 25 euros.

4 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Got some ideas for restructuring my island, with the vegetables on the way, but also a bunch of cool new items to get from Nook Shopping. Still on the fence about the DLC, curious to hear your impressions if it is solid and fun and justifies the 25 euros.

I mean, if that doesn't sell you on it...

It's hard to give some concrete impressions of it right now. It's a very slow, gradual process, much like Animal Crossing. The idea being that you do a little every day and Paradise Planning develops as you progress. But there's a few things I can say you benefit from straight away.

Spoiler

- After a few clients, you get the ability to polish stuff, basically you can make stuff sparkle in 3 different intensities, my golden room looks even more garish now!
- There's definitely new furniture you can buy with Poki (The currency you're paid with), and take back to your island. Changes every day.
- You get an app on your phone that lets you overview all the homes you designed

As for more superflous stuff, it's essentially a way to have even more villagers hanging around for you to chat to. There seems to be room for at least 98 villagers there.
I also find it really funny to take a theme someone asked for, and go way too overboard with it. (Like my "Calming reading place" above)

Basically, it's a way to design various houses without having to change your own place.

I'm not sure what the multiplayer capabilities are yet, it might be something you unlock later. I hope there's a way to share your creations. Even better if you can have friends over for good photo opportunities.

EDIT: I am getting way too much mileage out of taking a theme and giving my own spin on it!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

All the characters that didn't have a role in New Horizons can now be called in The Roost with amiibo cards.

• Like 1

I have no idea how I missed this, but Robot Chicken's Animal Crossing bit from last month just turned up in my YouTube recommendations, so:

Always appreciated their attention to small details :laughing:

• Haha 2

It took me over a year but I finally completed the art section of the Museum, which means all sections (Bugs,Fish, Fossils and Art) are all complete :)

FLVkb9NUUAMdXp7?format=jpg&name=large

FLVkb9PVEAIfSzm?format=jpg&name=large

FLVkb91UUAMbiaL?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Helmsly said:

It took me over a year but I finally completed the art section of the Museum

Damn, I've been playing since day one and I still have two statues to get. Stupid Redd!! Well done though, I know the Art section has always been the toughest of them all to complete.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Damn, I've been playing since day one and I still have two statues to get. Stupid Redd!! Well done though, I know the Art section has always been the toughest of them all to complete.

yeah, I would not have been able to complete the art collection had they not added Harvs Island, because before that you were at the mercy of a random appearance of Crazy redd and hoping he had the art I needed. Once they added that island I went every day and bought something which makes him replace it the next day.

By the way, do you know which statues you need? I kept all the legit spare artwork that showed up so I could post them to you if I happen to have them.

Edited by Helmsly

18 hours ago, Helmsly said:

By the way, do you know which statues you need? I kept all the legit spare artwork that showed up so I could post them to you if I happen to have them.

Great Statue, Robust Statue and Rock-Head Statue. thanks.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Great Statue, Robust Statue and Rock-Head Statue. thanks.

It seems I only have one of those, the Rock-Head Statue. you should get it in the mail any time from now.

• Like 1