NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Does the museum still accept them if they're fake? I've only run into him once so far and he sold me a painting, no idea if it's real or not.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Does the museum still accept them if they're fake? I've only run into him once so far and he sold me a painting, no idea if it's real or not.

There's a handy guide that shows the differences in each art piece that has a fake version of it:

http://www.nintendolife.com/guides/animal-crossing-new-horizons-redd-how-to-spot-fake-paintings-and-statues-and-unlock-crazy-redd

Nintendo have made the differences between the Real and Fake art pieces very subtle for a lot of them this time. For example take a look at the difference between the Real and Fake Solemn Painting:

Spoiler

solemn-painting-animal-crossing-new-hori

One positive thing if you have bought a fake, is that there is a Nook Miles Objective for buying one piece of fake art.

One thing I noticed today that I hope they patch is that, I'm pretty sure in the New Leaf once an Art piece was identified as fake, it would be renamed with the word 'Fake' before its name when you looked at it in your inventory. This was important for trading Art with people so that you knew you were getting the real thing. That does not seem to be the case at the moment, so the 'Scary Painting' I bought yesterday which is fake, is still just named 'Scary Painting'.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I'll probably collect 'm, so I intend to buy everything from him regardless if fake or not.

@BowserBasher, did you get that thief costume?

I did, thanks. The reason I missed it was cause I was looking for something like the black and white striped thing from old films. 

I know there has been a discussion around the time travelling element. But this game does suffer a bit by not doing it. For me, anyway. 

I want to move all of my residents homes, and mine, so that’s 9 in total. But they’re in the way of where I want to do some paths and other things so I have to wait until the next day to do it. 

I feel like it unnecessarily halts progress. Once the credits roll and you have 3 stars, really it should allow you to move things instantly I think. I’ve still got hours and hours to pour into this to get everything the way I want it, but not being able to move things, or having to wait for a street light to arrive the next day is a bit ... painful. 

7 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I know there has been a discussion around the time travelling element. But this game does suffer a bit by not doing it. For me, anyway. 

I want to move all of my residents homes, and mine, so that’s 9 in total. But they’re in the way of where I want to do some paths and other things so I have to wait until the next day to do it. 

I feel like it unnecessarily halts progress. Once the credits roll and you have 3 stars, really it should allow you to move things instantly I think. I’ve still got hours and hours to pour into this to get everything the way I want it, but not being able to move things, or having to wait for a street light to arrive the next day is a bit ... painful. 

I think the game's whole design principle is based on giving you a reason to come back tomorrow. Be it a new shop opening, or your upgraded home, flowers blooming etc. It's annoying having to wait for things like buildings to move though but I can understand it from a design POV. I've tried to make sure everything is in approx the right place from day 1 but it's obviously not ideal or easy.

• Like 2

Just now, Ronnie said:

I think the game's whole design principle is based on giving you a reason to come back tomorrow. Be it a new shop opening, or your upgraded home, flowers blooming etc. It's annoying having to wait for things like buildings to move though but I can understand it from a design POV. I've tried to make sure everything is in approx the right place from day 1 but it's obviously not ideal or easy.

I wasn’t hugely familiar with AC as I only dabbled with the 3DS game so knowing certain things like houses being moveable wasn’t something I thought of going in. 

Originally I wanted them dotted everywhere, now I want order and want them in a row haha.

I think for things like moving buildings, there should be an Express kind of service. Even if it meant rinsing you of more bells lol. That’s the only thing halting my progress at the moment. Thankfully I’ve moved a few over the last few days but I do understand the logic behind the “come back tomorrow” mantra. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I wasn’t hugely familiar with AC as I only dabbled with the 3DS game so knowing certain things like houses being moveable wasn’t something I thought of going in. 

Originally I wanted them dotted everywhere, now I want order and want them in a row haha.

I think for things like moving buildings, there should be an Express kind of service. Even if it meant rinsing you of more bells lol. That’s the only thing halting my progress at the moment. Thankfully I’ve moved a few over the last few days but I do understand the logic behind the “come back tomorrow” mantra. 

It's especially annoying when you only want them moved by a couple of squares so have to move them somewhere far off, and then back again. But that's probably because they don't want to put the building work box over an existing building. An express service for more bells would be good though yeah.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I'll just leave this here.

FMpimvl.jpg

• Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

An express service for more bells would be good though yeah.

This is how we led to such rampant capitalism in the real world, don't encourage Tom Nook! 😋

Had some fun with a complete stranger through twitter this evening, for the first time. So far I've kept things between the NE community, and another Dutch one. I checked the twitter stream for the #ACNH tag, commented on someone's pic, where she was wearing a steampunk outfit. But she was missing the goggles, and I was missing the top hat. Visited her via a dodo code, I brought her one of the 2 goggles I had (they come in 2 colours), then I raided her shops. Bought almost all colour top hats, I think an adventure dress (Alice in Wonderland theme), some Pilot helmets and jackets, and at Nook I bought a chess set. Her island looked great as well. Had her come over to mine as well, where she could raid my ever growing pile of fossils.

See, that's the AC community I like.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 3

Yeah I've met up with maybe 10 random people off Twitter so far and almost all have been really polite and friendly. No bad experiences yet. Then again there isn't much they can do with the safeties on, apart from wreck your flowers and steal your fruit, but still.

• Like 2

Yeah exacty, but you can obviously behave like a total asshole and / or be plain weird. But I think you can judge such behaviour through their tweets, so shouldn't be a problem.

I mean, I like to be an asshole. Some times.

Stumbled across this lovely little guide! I don't know if it's been posted before but it actually works! 

lVXZv6u.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ugh first aid said:

Stumbled across this lovely little guide! I don't know if it's been posted before but it actually works! 

lVXZv6u.png

I’ve heard about that but didn’t know if it was true. If this is the case, we are going to have to start having flower watering parties. 

• Like 1

Just a follow up to the bug nerfing, seems it is indeed significant (peacock butterflies and tarantulas are the real money makers):

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

I’ve heard about that but didn’t know if it was true. If this is the case, we are going to have to start having flower watering parties. 

This is amazing. I need some blue flowers haven’t got a single one. 
I read they spawn from white flowers? So I have four patches set up of different white flowers I’ve planted. 

I have opened my gates (I’m working currently) so if any very very kind souls want to come and water a few flowers and check the shops out then feel free. :D 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Just a follow up to the bug nerfing, seems it is indeed significant (peacock butterflies and tarantulas are the real money makers):

For me, the interesting thing there is the nerfage of scorpians because I am still yet to see, catch and museum one. :( Curiously (again, for me), since the day of the update I've been seeing giant waterbugs every evening without fail and never saw them once before.

I forgot to mention this in the podcast, but this micro-changes that Nintendo are making are really starting to bug me (no pun intended). 

I just don't see the point in it. I'm not one who's going after fish and bugs as I have no desire to spend time doing those activities and fill out my collection in a hurry, but the chances of me seeing any of the rare bugs have been drastically cut, and why? It's completely pointless. What are they even attempting to achieve with this? People will just find new ways of making money (if that really is what they're trying to curb). It's so unbelievably dumb that they need to go into the code and change these things as a reaction to what some people are doing. Why change the game for everyone because of a few isolated loud mouths on Twitter? It simply suggests to me that Nintendo lack confidence in their own product and prefer to dictate how people should play rather than let people organically experience the game they have built.

The more time goes by, the less I'm finding enjoyment in this game. I honestly dislike the fact that everyone is experiencing everything at the same time, often on the same day. It feels too staged and far less of an individual, organic experience (which I would argue AC always has been). There was merit in both moving as quickly as possible or stretching stuff out over time. The fact that stuff is announced on Twitter and YouTube days before it goes live completely ruins the surprise and mystery that used to be commonplace with this series. Even if you try to ignore the new stuff, you always end up finding out about it before it's in the game. If this was new content, it wouldn't bother me as much, but the fact that we essentially have a fraction of what the game used to be and Nintendo are simply updating the game to include stuff that was more often than not already part of the series is annoying. Leif and Redd should have been in from the start. Gyroids should have been in from the start. I don't see the value in "23rd of April, Redd is coming to visit everyone". It's much more interesting when a couple of people get him and everyone else either has to wait or travel to that island. Maybe some will disagree, but that's how I see it. 

The game feels more like a live service than an Animal Crossing game. For me, that is simply disappointing. I do love this game and feel the new stuff they have added and the wealth of options you have is a good step forward, but the cut content and "events" are a huge regression in my book. Events are good, but it feels like there's one every week or two now. I'm almost tempted to put it down for a long time and come back to it when the element of surprise and wonder will return and the "pressure" (even though it isn't really) of playing on a certain day or at certain times will largely be gone. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

For me, the interesting thing there is the nerfage of scorpians because I am still yet to see, catch and museum one. :( Curiously (again, for me), since the day of the update I've been seeing giant waterbugs every evening without fail and never saw them once before.

Yeah I imagine it's been pretty hard for you to catch a scorpion, given that they don't start appearing until May.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Yeah I imagine it's been pretty hard for you to catch a scorpion, given that they don't start appearing until May.

Well in that case, your source is just scaremongering! :blank:

I've still not seen a peacock butterfly yet. I only have a few hybrids so far, but even so, a 80% drop is going to make that harder.

If they really wanted to nerf all the ridiculous money making and slow people down, they needed to do something about the stalk market.

Or maybe the cynical part of me thinks that they didn't want people happily catching bugs to pay off their loan, and instead want them to buy the online subscription to play the stalk market properly...

And more importantly WHERE IS MY TURTLE?! 

Thanks Obama.

I’m still upset they limited the money trees to 10,000 (dunno what game they did that in. Putting the max amount of money in those in the original game was my main money maker.