NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

It's the same way Nintendo designed it so that the Nook Miles items are different colours. But you expect great design like that with Nintendo. I was after a white pool so visited RedShell to get one of his.

Now I'm just looking for a red and white lighthouse to replace my boring all white one :blank:

I can sort that :) 

2 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

I can sort that :) 

Gentleman!

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Gentleman!

I’ll bring it over later if you’re open. Hoping someone’s turnip price rockets today so I can sell and give you the money back for the piano! 

So out of the 7 spots open for rocks to respawn into this morning, it chose.... the one I'd annoyingly missed when laying out mannequins :mad:, not the actual 6 I wanted it to go.

3 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

I’ll bring it over later if you’re open. Hoping someone’s turnip price rockets today so I can sell and give you the money back for the piano! 

Ah don't worry about it, we'll call it even for the lighthouse! Will be around later on.

• Like 1

Finally got round to doing a bit of island decoration. Only touched about 15% and it took hours 😔

Having to craft shovels every fifteen minutes doesn't help. God I loathe that mechanic. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Having to craft shovels every fifteen minutes doesn't help. God I loathe that mechanic. 

Yes, I completely agree, the breakable tools are easily the worst part of this version of Animal Crossing.

If there were unbreakable tools in the game which you could get, I'd be more likely to play the game more or even if you could craft stuff on the spot it would help.

It usually happens when you're about... nine tenths of the way through whatever repeated task you're performing as well, which just adds to the furstration.

"Oh you were going to chop wood from the last three trees on your island? lol nope... *axe breaks* time to make another one!" :p

I'm half-tempted to go back to Animal Crossing on the GameCube, it might not have terraforming or... many current series staples but it does have unbreakable tools, GBA linkup and NES games which you can play whenever you want. :D

Also... I'm curious to see just what going back to a town from 2004(?) or whenever I last played it, will look like... or if it's even still on the memory card.

• Like 1

I didn’t mind weapons breaking in BoTW, but tools breaking here is really annoying. I just started buying replacements rather than crafting them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont mind the mechanic, but the iron ones you craft should last much longer than they do.

Fair enough a flimsy rod or net you made it of sticks lasts for 20 uses, but a steel spade or axe? That should last for hundreds of uses!

Does everything else you craft have similar longevity? Do I need to worry about how many times i use my bed?

• Like 2

I dont mind the mechanic, but the iron ones you craft should last much longer than they do.

Fair enough a flimsy rod or net you made it of sticks lasts for 20 uses, but a steel spade or axe? That should last for hundreds of uses!

Does everything else you craft have similar longevity? Do I need to worry about how many times i use my bed?
I also think gold tools you craft yourself shouldn't break. It's no longer a challenge in any way to craft tools, just annoying really.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
1 hour ago, bob said:

I also think gold tools you craft yourself shouldn't break. It's no longer a challenge in any way to craft tools, just annoying really.

Was just about to post that. I didn’t think the gold tools did break as I had my gold watering can for ages but I visited another island to water some flowers recently and it broke!

Like someone else said, I just buy them from Nooks Cranny now. Sod crafting. 

Yeah I heard a while back the gold tools break and I was disappointed to find out gold tools broke. Gold! I always believed in it...but alas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Breakable tools are unnecessary and quite a bad design choice.
It doesn't add anything to the game. It's not like this is a survival game where it makes sense and enhances gameplay.

Now I don't think Nintendo is sensible enough to remove breakable tools but I really hope they will eventually put in something like "titanium tools" that never break.

Yeah I get it as part of the onboarding mechanic as its part of inventory management and mining resources etc but once you get to a point where you can part rivers and raise land you'd think you'd have a shovel that doesn't snap in two halfway through making an orchard. Hopefully they'll patch in more permanent tools at some point.

Don't think this has been posted earlier. The list for bugs and fish leaving in May is again very short. It's just Loach, Oarfish, Golden trout and Mole cricket.

Edited by Tales

I understand breakable tools if you have something to work towards but if gold tools also break then that just sucks. I haven’t actually played in a few days and am finding less and less enthusiasm to go back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Breakable tools are unnecessary and quite a bad design choice.
It doesn't add anything to the game. It's not like this is a survival game where it makes sense and enhances gameplay.

Now I don't think Nintendo is sensible enough to remove breakable tools but I really hope they will eventually put in something like "titanium tools" that never break.

I think breaking tools works as a beginner mechanic, and can also serve as a motivation to get the gold tools. However, the gold tools also break, so that doesn't really work.

I think the trouble here is that the game doesn't really feel built or balanced around having breaking tools. It feels like the old Animal Crossing games in terms of how you use the shovel and so on, yet with the added frustrating mechanic of tools breaking regularly, often while you were doing something. In that way it is definitively inferior to the games that went before, since tools didn't break in them. Contrast this to Zelda BoTW where the weapons breaking (love it or hate it) actually feels like a proper design choice that the game was balanced around.

Also factor in that gold tools breaking is very stingy. For instance, to get the gold rod you need to catch every fish, so by that point you'll have been playing for a whole real life year. You'll also have no real reason to catch fish at that point other than fun. Feels to me like they could have very easily made the gold fishing rod unbreakable without any impact on game balance by that point.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you take away the need to craft tools then it impacts other systems. Wood, stone, iron and gold suddenly become half as useful. It's annoying but the gold tools last so long that spending 60 seconds crafting a new one isn't a big deal to me.

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

If you take away the need to craft tools then it impacts other systems. Wood, stone, iron and gold suddenly become half as useful. It's annoying but the gold tools last so long that spending 60 seconds crafting a new one isn't a big deal to me.

EZGYknNUMAUlPav?format=jpg&name=large

These things are already crazily not useful despite being used to craft tools. You also only need 1 stone to craft an axe and 1 iron nugget to upgrade a tool, so it's hardly even using much, it's just annoying to have to run to a crafting table when you're in the middle of something (and possibly your house to pick up the crafting materials). As I say, the game does not feel balanced around having breaking tools at all.

It wouldn't impact the game at all to make the gold tools unbreakable, since for a lot of them you've already done that activity to death to unlock the gold tool (e.g. fishing). There are already lots of items requiring gold to make anyway, to the point that I don't even bother making a gold slingshot because a regular one does just fine, and doesn't consume a gold nugget. FYI - gold slingshot only lets you shoot down 60 balloons, which isn't actually all that much.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Hi @Sheikah do you have any spare crafting materials by any chance? 
:heh:

Are you offering to get his rocks off...of his hands?

29 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Are you offering to get his rocks off...of his hands?

Damn right I am!

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

It wouldn't impact the game at all to make the gold tools unbreakable, since for a lot of them you've already done that activity to death to unlock the gold tool (e.g. fishing). There are already lots of items requiring gold to make anyway, to the point that I don't even bother making a gold slingshot because a regular one does just fine, and doesn't consume a gold nugget. FYI - gold slingshot only lets you shoot down 60 balloons, which isn't actually all that much.

Yeah, I'm also at that point. Though the golden slingshot is the only golden tool I have, I think I'll stop making it, as I don't actually have and get that much gold, so it seems just a waste. Currently using a normal one again. I do not have enough gold to craft every recipe requiring it.

That said though, why aren't you selling your materials? You're sitting on a goldmine there, pun intended. Selling iron in those quantities is going to make you quite some money. I used to hoard the crafting materials, but also found out I don't use that much (if you keep crafting your new recipes), and they take up more space. I sold most of it after seeing I actually need that space for other stuff. I still keep some materials spare for new recipes.

7 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah, I'm also at that point. Though the golden slingshot is the only golden tool I have, I think I'll stop making it, as I don't actually have and get that much gold, so it seems just a waste. Currently using a normal one again. I do not have enough gold to craft every recipe requiring it.

That said though, why aren't you selling your materials? You're sitting on a goldmine there, pun intended. Selling iron in those quantities is going to make you quite some money. I used to hoard the crafting materials, but also found out I don't use that much (if you keep crafting your new recipes), and they take up more space. I sold most of it after seeing I actually need that space for other stuff. I still keep some materials spare for new recipes.

Because money has no relevance in this game anymore, it's quicker to just dump things into storage (since I'm in my house anyway dropping off duplicate recipes, gold nuggets and the like). And my thoughts are that someone may be in need of them one day, or at the very least it's more efficient to load up my inventory with the materials I want to sell from my storage than constantly keep visiting the shop.

Are you not also sitting on millions from turnips? I only had to do turnips maybe 3 times to have 15 million in the bank, I don't bother even buying them anymore.

Edited by Sheikah

Just now, Sheikah said:

Because money has no relevance in this game anymore, it's quicker to just dump things into storage (since I'm in my house anyway dropping off duplicate recipes, gold nuggets and the like). And my thoughts are that someone may be in need of them one day.

Are you not also sitting on millions from turnips? I only had to do turnips maybe 3 times to have 15 million in the bank, I don't bother even buying them anymore.

Nopes. I have 5 million+, since I always buy 4850 turnips at max. 1 full inventory, and 850 as a "tradition". So I was usually just selling 1 full inventory if I went to someone else, and I missed a few weeks. Money wasn't as important in the beginning. It's useful to me now, now everyone has upgraded shops, and I have max inventory space. I want to keep a few million reserve as I suspect there will be another house upgrade in a future update, the rest I spend on furniture, and I still need to do some building moving and incline / bridge building.

And what I said, to me at least, inventory space is more important.. So everything unwanted I would just sell. My Nook is closer than my house in most cases, so to me that's actually quicker.

8 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Because money has no relevance in this game anymore

It does to me, it does if you don't go crazy in turnips and torpedo the longevity of the game. I still haven't paid my house off and even collecting 900k from @Helmsly just now isn't enough to do that. And that's ok by me.