NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

9 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Some more technical info has come out, 6.2gb file size for the digital version. And Amiibo support confirmed - those 14 AC Amiibo I bought won't go to waste!

Glad to hear amiibo will serve some purpose. I was afraid they weren't going to bother with using them.

Surely there has to be an Animal Crossing Nintendo Direct hitting soon to detail all of this stuff, right?

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Surely there has to be an Animal Crossing Nintendo Direct hitting soon to detail all of this stuff, right?

This week or next week, it has to be... feels like its been too long between Direct's already even though we just had Byleth. :p

Animal Crossing: New Horizons direct ahoy! :D

Wouldn't it be neat if they let K.K.Slider host it and play us a few songs throughout the presentation? ;)

New amiibo figures would be announced as well, including a special K.K.Slider amiibo which lets you transfer an exclusive set of songs to the game... naturally. :grin:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

This week or next week, it has to be... feels like its been too long between Direct's already even though we just had Byleth. :p

Saw on Reddit that it's been more than 156 days which was the previous record between two general Directs. So yeah, it's been a while. 

• Thanks 1

6.2Gb?? 
So unlike Nintendo. Given how little we’ve seen if the game, I’m now expecting this to be packed with content. 

I’m sure the other AC games have been nowhere close to this size. 

• Thanks 1

It's all of those HD assets, there won't be any actual content in the game.  

Amiibo Festival was physical only wasn't it? Just wondering what file size that would have been, it was probably even smaller than New Leaf (which according to a quick google takes up about 1gb) given that all it consisted of was a board game and a handful of characters.

Yeah but usually all Nintendo games are super compressed. Isn’t Odyssey like <4gb? I think the HD textures will be part of it, but surely not that much. 

Maybe instead of collecting NES games they have N64 Roms loaded into it to find this time... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Maybe instead of collecting NES games they have N64 Roms loaded into it to find this time... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

:eek: 

That explains why there was no N64 mini released!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Major Directs are usually around February, E3 and September. 

Much as I try not to wade through ResetEra, rumours are all pointing to an Animal Crossing Direct on the 20th and a general Direct either the week before (more likely) or the week after.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:22 AM, RedShell said:

So apparently cloud saves won't be supported for this game. Not cool. :sad:

Hopefully there will at least be an option to transfer saves locally between Switch systems (I believe Splatoon 2 allows for this) or Nintendo get a Switch hardware revision out before New Horizons launches. :hmm: I wouldn't be too fussed about losing my Splatoon data now actually, but something like Animal Crossing is a very different matter.

Sadly, it looks like this isn't the case. It appears that the save is locked to the system the game is started on. 

ol7t3g6krye41.jpg

This is just stupid. What happens if your console breaks or you want to buy a new Switch or a Lite? I guess you will have to start your village from scratch. It was bad enough that the game doesn't support cloud saves and now this. :nono:

• Sad 1

While I was expecting no cloud saves, not being able to transfer data at all is just dumb.

Has any Animal Crossing prevented you from doing that?

I don’t think I’ll watch a direct if Nintendo do an AC one anyway. Always feels like they give away way too much information with those things anyway.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sadly, it looks like this isn't the case. It appears that the save is locked to the system the game is started on.

I'm not really surprised (been a Nintendo fan for too long :heh:) just incredibly disappointed. 

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Has any Animal Crossing prevented you from doing that?

Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City was one of those annoying Wii titles that didn't let you back up the save data to an SD card, but I believe it was still possible to move it via system transfer. Something which I now regret not doing as my save for the game is currently trapped on a broken Wii. :( I totally should've system transferred to Wii U.

• Angry 1

ol7t3g6krye41.jpg
This is just stupid. What happens if your console breaks or you want to buy a new Switch or a Lite? I guess you will have to start your village from scratch. It was bad enough that the game doesn't support cloud saves and now this. :nono:

Backwards Nintendo again. This is really dumb, my wife would like to have her own island but now can't. What on Earth is the reasoning behind this?

25 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Backwards Nintendo again. This is really dumb, my wife would like to have her own island but now can't. What on Earth is the reasoning behind this?

Pretty sure it’s just a shifty way for Nintendo to sell more Switch consoles. :hmm: 

Well, it appears the Japanese Animal Crossing site was updated and now features this. 

This software does not support "Cloud save backup" feature in Nintendo Switch Online. We are planning to have a save backup function for this software, available to Nintendo Switch Online users. Schedule of this feature is unconfirmed. We will keep you update.

I wonder if they seen the complaints ( justified, IMO) and have issued this statement to calm the fears of everyone. Still, bear in mind that this isn't an official translation and some are reporting that this feature will only be available if your Switch gets broken/damaged and needs to be replaced. 

Yeah, Nintendo really need to get a Direct out or issue some facts about what is actually going on with the save feature in this game.

• Thanks 1

This is especially dumb when you consider the fact that an upgraded Switch will likely be coming in the next couple of years. Who wants to spend a year plus playing, countless hours into the game and then get punished by Nintendo because they buy the updated console...

So unbelievably short-sighted if it turns out to be true. 

Out of the loop regarding cloud saves on the Switch, so here's my question:

Are they not mandatory for every game? And are they not available for all first party games at least?

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Well, it appears the Japanese Animal Crossing site was updated and now features this. 

I wonder if they seen the complaints ( justified, IMO) and have issued this statement to calm the fears of everyone. Still, bear in mind that this isn't an official translation and some are reporting that this feature will only be available if your Switch gets broken/damaged and needs to be replaced. 

Yeah, Nintendo really need to get a Direct out or issue some facts about what is actually going on with the save feature in this game.

RiIIwmf.jpg

So it's a cloud save that's not actually accessible by the user, but one that you instead have to request from Nintendo in the event your Switch is damaged or lost? :blank:

Seems like a pretty bizarre setup, but hey, at least it's better than potentially losing your AC save data.
What if you just want to upgrade to a different Switch though? ::shrug:

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

What if you just want to upgrade to a different Switch though? ::shrug:

Easy: Just smash your old one :p 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Out of the loop regarding cloud saves on the Switch, so here's my question:

Are they not mandatory for every game? And are they not available for all first party games at least?

Nope and nope.

Splatoon 2 and Pokémon don't get backed up to the cloud. There are others too.

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Nope and nope.

Splatoon 2 and Pokémon don't get backed up to the cloud. There are others too.

Weird. Did Nintendo offer a statement to justify this? It seems so stupid and arbitrary to me.

36 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Weird. Did Nintendo offer a statement to justify this?

They certainly did. 

There will be save data backup functionality.

Not arbitrary, done for a reason.