NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Is it really a town any more though? Surely we need to come up with island names instead. I usually call mine Bumtown - Bum Island doesn't have the same ring to it

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Is it really a town any more though? Surely we need to come up with island names instead. I usually call mine Bumtown - Bum Island doesn't have the same ring to it
Pen-Island?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's pretty crazy the things you can place around the island. Like the large mech and Godzilla type creature in this video^

As for Island names, I can't think up anything original so I just look through the names of levels and places in other games. Like any of the 1000's of named locations named in Breath of the Wild, for example or level names from one of the Mario games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Need to come up with a name for mine too. My previous ones have been from films. I had TheShire (GC), Narnia (Wild World), Oz (LGttC), I’m sure there’s been more. Three seems not enough. Anyway I got a week to come up with my new towns name. 

I think I'll borrow that Narnia idea!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

As for Island names, I can't think up anything original so I just look through the names of levels and places in other games. Like any of the 1000's of named locations named in Breath of the Wild, for example or level names from one of the Mario games.

My brothers and I would do the same, I can recall the names of each of our towns from back in the day... Norfair, Hyrule and Subcon. :D

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

My brothers and I would do the same, I can recall the names of each of our towns from back in the day... Norfair, Hyrule and Subcon. :D

Not obscure enough, you need to be more like me and name your town after Bryyo from Metroid Prime 3.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

Reviews dropping tomorrow (Monday) for this. Seems earlier than usual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cancelled my physical preorder of Animal Crossing and got the digital version instead just on the off chance it wasn’t able to be delivered this week.

I'm going for the same name I always go for in Animal Crossing...

Craphole :D 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I'm going for the same name I always go for in Animal Crossing...

Craphole :D 

I'm always amazed that the game lets you get away with that.

Of course, this could be the one that finally catches on to your naughty shenanigans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My sister, her boyfriend and I just ordered a copy together for my mom. It's her birthday tomorrow and given that she put at least 8 million hours into Animal Crossing: New Leaf, this seemed like a perfect present :D 

• Like 3

On 3/15/2020 at 1:44 AM, Ronnie said:

It is strangely early, though Astral Chain reviews also came out on the Monday.

On 15/03/2020 at 1:44 AM, Ronnie said:

1 hour ago, Tim B said:

It is strangely early, though Astral Chain reviews also came out on the Monday.

Yeah, I feel like both Animal Crossing and Astral Chain are one of those rare instances where Nintendo can advertise the game's all that they want, but with a niche-but-totally-successful franchise and with a new franchise from a developer which serves a somewhat niche genre these days, respectively, I think that word of mouth is much more important than any deep dives or previews can muster up for the game, especially when it comes to sales and bringing new fans into the franchise.

Anecdotally, I doubt I'd be on board for AC:NH, save for the love of the franchise on here and elsewhere on the internet, and so I'm more than willing to give it a go, and I'm very excited to do so. 

Unfortunately, and this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum recently, review scores are much more important to the average consumer today than the actual contents of the review. I think this ties into releasing this review a little bit earlier than they might otherwise; Nintendo is confident about their product, and want that word of mouth to spread about the game. What's more, there's not much that I feel like you can spoil with a game like this, so I personally am all for the reviews dropping today.

Can't wait for Friday :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

There's also a rumoured Indie World showcase coming this week, so if that's a thing, then they might announce on Tuesday and release on Thursday, today is the best day for AC reviews to get out of the way of the indie news.

EDIT: D'oh.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Think I'll give this one a go myself.

I very much enjoy games à la Stardew Valley and AC:NH is obivoulsy one of those "play at your own pace" kind of games.

Even if I end up not liking it, I'll be able to resell for minor loss anyways ::shrug: 

Love Animal Crossing, hate Coronovirus. 

Day 1. FFS, Nintendo. I'm beyond caring about your arbitrary save system. Just let me listen to K.K. strum his guitar.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

"One of Nintendo's best games"...doesn't get much higher praise than that.

I'm pumped, more excited about this than any other Nintendo game of recent times. Already bought the digital version and got it downloaded!

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 2

Reviewing amazing well.

The perfect game :bouncy: for the perfect time :sad:

• Like 2

I believe the reviews.  Animal Crossing is a unique kind of magic, and if Nintendo has managed to repeat the formula, but expand on it enough, it'll be exactly what we need right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I can't wait for this, hope it's worth the 7 year wait! Fond memories of playing New Leaf with the N-E forumers :hehe:

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Katie said:

I can't wait for this, hope it's worth the 7 year wait! Fond memories of playing New Leaf with the N-E forumers :hehe:

Welcome back, Katie. It's been a while since I seen you visit these parts of the internet.

I'm sure they'll be plenty of N-E Animal Crossing islands for you to pay a visit to. :peace:

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm sure they'll be plenty of N-E Animal Crossing islands for you to pay a visit to. :peace:

Not mine, that's for sure.

If I get the game I'm putting my island on immediate lockdown. No way ya'll be infecting my villagers :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5