NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Am I understanding right that you're forced to share a single island with all people that use your console? Both me and my SO are the kind that would want to complete whole collections (fishing etc) by ourselves, start to finish... is this the new two-versions-of-every-Pokemon scam? :blank:

Why not let me have as many islands as I want? As many saves? Share if I want, don't share if I don't want?

Edit: I should point out I've not played AC games in the past so if this isn't new, that's on me. Still super disappointing.

The game wouldn't be the same conceptually if you could have multiple islands. The whole point is that you and your SO live together on one Island. It's always been the same way and is part of the Animal Crossing experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Both me and my SO are the kind that would want to complete whole collections (fishing etc) by ourselves, start to finish...

Trust me, Animal Crossing is a different kind of beast for completionists. You'll appreciate the help very quickly.

For reference, the fastest speedrun for 100% on the original Animal Crossing is just under 20 hours. And that allows cheating with stuff like Time Travelling. And that also has far less stuff to collect than any other AC game.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf doesn't even have records for 100% runs because no-one in their right mind would ever attempt it.

I'm not set on either side of this, in fact I've played so much Stardew Valley on my own that a shared experience sounds like it could be really pleasant in comparison. You guys have sold me on the idea in fact, and I'm looking forward to it more.

But at the same time, would it hurt to have multiple islands, multiple options? One shared, and one solo? Or multiple solo? Not everybody wants the same thing. I gather that in the GC era it was a technical limitation before a design decision, because you needed a whole memory card for your island, that can't be the case now.

• Like 1

@Shorty you mentioned you and your SO want to complete collections separately, if this new game is anything like the previous one then that will take a very very long time to do. I’ve been playing New Leaf semi-regularly since it came out in 2012 and still have not caught/found all the Fish, Bugs or Art pieces. I think as far as Art goes you have to trade to get them all. The only thing I’ve manage to complete are the dinosaur fossils.

I agree with you though, it certainly would have been nice to at least have the option to have multiple islands. 

This is another advert that pushes using the Lite for the game. Again, it baffles me why there isn't an actually limited edition Lite for this game. ::shrug:

Trust me, Animal Crossing is a different kind of beast for completionists. You'll appreciate the help very quickly.
For reference, the fastest speedrun for 100% on the original Animal Crossing is just under 20 hours. And that allows cheating with stuff like Time Travelling. And that also has far less stuff to collect than any other AC game.
Animal Crossing: New Leaf doesn't even have records for 100% runs because no-one in their right mind would ever attempt it.

This isn't really the point though - it takes time to fully complete because stuff is only rarely available to collect (only so many fossils spawn a day, only so many fish are around at any one time, only so many fruit to harvest, etc.). It's not like having a second person around suddenly makes it so much quicker to complete.

The whole point of Animal Crossing is that there isn't usually that much to do on any one given day - so having two players on a system is pretty detrimental to the experience, IMO. It's worse if you both don't play an even amount - one person will be missing out on a lot.

I'll also point out that it's really not difficult to complete the game if you play over the full course of the year, which is what they want you to do. I managed it with no trouble on New Leaf.
  • Like 1

On 28/02/2020 at 8:46 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

This is another advert that pushes using the Lite for the game. Again, it baffles me why there isn't an actually limited edition Lite for this game. ::shrug:

It’s because they really want to push the flagship Switch model with this game and it’s focus on same system co-op.

Too bad about the worldwide shortages though.  Nintendo must be fuming at the whole Covid-9 fiasco!

On 28/02/2020 at 9:00 AM, Ronnie said:

What a great advert

Not a fan of it myself, but then I really dislike video game adverts that don’t focus on the actual product. I mean that was basically 2 minutes of a Japanese soap opera with a few seconds of Animal Crossing footage thrown in. :blank: 

At least it confirmed that you can still utilise multiple custom patterns as tiles to create larger designs. :cool:

So, I'm thankfully starting to feel a little bit better. While I was really ill (last week in particular), I watched a lot of videos about the series as a whole, listened to some podcast thoughts and watched some analysis videos for New Horizons. Safe to say that I'm thoroughly hyped for my first AC game. 

Also:

Time to start brainstorming...

• Like 2

A shame you can only use 10 characters.

"Corona Quarantine Zone"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got him!
y4migOobsjZOCGuGdr4T1yodPjTmvKD_Vzmss_46fm3W3ndUUMJRXYcogXjIoM6AHuWYC8e0jFmDrN8w4LOys1TNCuWz2dYhERkKVbDDC6UarhV5zOcD1u5yOHm95pekyrn7ba9PuzbgnUoFKvLPZ9x04QAFvU3U4BMyG8C_AvLrKqCNgUelde-Q88AZCsxBCzDRiTVXigThsKIhx8XLyxvFQ?width=494&height=660&cropmode=none
Is that Karl Pilkington? He has a head like a fucking orange.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

The paper bag is hilarious.

Hearing that the game is more goal focused is music to my ears. My biggest gripe with the series is that I run out of things to do. I don't like just pottering around and I like a task or goal to achieve. This news has upped my interest a little.

• Haha 3

I haven’t really been letting myself see too much of this as I know the core gameplay and was always going to get this, so I want any new stuff to be a surprise when I play. But the few things I have come across have just been great stuff. I can’t wait to get into AC again. 

• Like 1

Apparently the game can be played in Dutch as well, first time in the series. Seeing that it's quite a bit of work to translate this game (including puns) shows how much of a franchise this is for them. Looks like they are expecting a lot of this.

• Like 1

Has there been any word yet if travel to and from our deserted islands will be affected because of the coronavirus?

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

On 12/03/2020 at 11:49 AM, Happenstance said:

Has there been any word yet if travel to and from our deserted islands will be affected because of the coronavirus?

Hearing rumours that the Cherry Blossom festival will be postponed as well. 

• Sad 1
  • Weird 1

I guess the first week of the game is just gonna be being isolated in your house, or tent, whatever it’ll be making sure we don’t infect or get infected by the other villagers. 

Ah, guess I need to start thinking of an town name, that's the hard part.

Also, in case anyone else bought a code from CDKeys and didn't realise, you have to find your original order confirmation and click download to get your key. I was waiting for an email and couldn't find anything under my account pages.

Need to come up with a name for mine too. My previous ones have been from films. I had TheShire (GC), Narnia (Wild World), Oz (LGttC), I’m sure there’s been more. Three seems not enough. Anyway I got a week to come up with my new towns name.