NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

46 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It does to me, it does if you don't go crazy in turnips and torpedo the longevity of the game. I still haven't paid my house off and even collecting 900k from @Helmsly just now isn't enough to do that. And that's ok by me.

I wouldn't say I went crazy, in fact I suspect I've purchased turnips on fewer occasions than you. I've just been efficient about it.

Buying turnips is generally an inconvenience to me - you have to keep an eye on the prices other people get over the course of a week, visit them at the right time (and get interrupted by other people joining), and you have to clutter up your house during the week because they don't go in house storage. So by shifting a lot of turnips in the few times I did it, I was able to avoid having to do it very much. Which for me worked very nicely.

We're also a good few months in now. so I suspect a lot of people are reasonably wealthy by now, even if their turnip spending has been modest.

Edited by Sheikah

I'm sitting on 4 million bells and i managed that with only a week of free online subscription.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bob said:

I'm sitting on 4 million bells and i managed that with only a week of free online subscription.

Might as wellstop playing with this amount of money :p

48 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I wouldn't say I went crazy, in fact I suspect I've purchased turnips on fewer occasions than you. I've just been efficient about it.

I've bought/sold turnips on four occasions in the past two months, buying about 20 bundles each time, at most. I didn't want to do anymore than that because racking up millions in such a short space of time would ruin the longevity and economics of what's supposed to be a long term game. So I disagree with "money has no relevance in this game anymore", because it absolutely does, for me at least.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I've bought/sold turnips on four occasions in the past two months, buying about 20 bundles each time, at most. I didn't want to do anymore than that because racking up millions in such a short space of time would ruin the longevity and economics of what's supposed to be a long term game. So I disagree with "money has no relevance in this game anymore", because it absolutely does, for me at least.

Are you not both agreeing at a fundamental level though; the value of money is based on your position within the game. At some point it becomes less meaningful. Whether you complete that after one month or one year (potential DLC aside) you'll start having more money than you can do anything with unless you just stop trying to accrue it in the first place which would be an odd way to play the game. 

19 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Well you've done it one more time than me. Regardless, this ability to get rich so quickly is down to the way Nintendo have designed the game - they made it so you can make millions ridiculously easy and it only takes minutes to do, so it's not like you have to be a "power gamer" to get rich this way. The only reason you don't have as much money is because you decided you didn't want it. Which is your choice, but it's not like people who did choose to sell a lot of turnips have somehow "rushed".

You say it ruins the economics of the game but this is the way Nintendo have designed it. If they wanted, they could have put a limit on how many turnips you can buy in a week, but they didn't.

For what it's worth, I don't see turnips and making millions easily as an issue here at all. Because money shouldn't, in my opinion, be a focus in a game like this that has only loosely-defined objectives. In fact, having millions in the bank makes the game far more laid back for me - you never have to worry about affording things and can just focus on the things you want to do more, like collecting art or terraforming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

they could have put a limit on how many turnips you can buy in a week, but they didn't.

People would be saying that it was a "dumb design decision". lol.

You can make millions in this game easily enough if you want to. You can also breed hundreds of flowers or flood your island with water. It's open ended. Do what you want. Contrary to what you said, money isn't meaningless in this game to a lot of people.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You can make millions in this game easily enough if you want to. You can also breed hundreds of flowers or flood your island with water. It's open ended. Do what you want. Contrary to what you said, money isn't meaningless in this game to a lot of people.

Smeagol asked me why I didn't sell all my crafting materials. So it was pretty clear I was talking about myself.

Either way, like you agreed, it's easy to make millions in this game. So in the grand scheme of things, making a few thousand from continuously selling crafting materials is not really worth it, if you're actually trying to make money.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Smeagol asked me why I didn't sell all my crafting materials. So it was pretty clear I was talking about myself.

Either way, like you agreed, it's easy to make millions in this game. So in the grand scheme of things, making a few thousand from continuously selling crafting materials is not really worth it, if you're actually trying to make money.

Yeah like I said, you probably have several 100000s of iron worth, not even taking into account the other stuff, which to me is still a significant amount. But the main reason to sell for me would be to free up space.

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah like I said, you probably have several 100000s of iron worth, not even taking into account the other stuff, which to me is still a significant amount. But the main reason to sell for me would be to free up space.

That's fair enough. I must admit the hoarding of materials started because at least initially, I noticed there were a lot of recipes requiring many materials. Like there was this one rock recipe that needed something like 90 stone. Either way, the storage capacity is ridiculously high in the game, and I'm at the point where the stuff in the shop is mostly stuff I already have, or stuff I don't want. And I still have something like 500 storage slots left, even with all the dupes I have.

Just now, Sheikah said:

That's fair enough. I must admit the hoarding of materials started because at least initially, I noticed there were a lot of recipes requiring many materials. Like there was this one rock recipe that needed something like 90 stone. Either way, the storage capacity is ridiculously high in the game, and I'm at the point where the stuff in the shop is mostly stuff I already have, or stuff I don't want. And I still have something like 500 storage slots left, even with all the dupes I have.

Haha, yeah, but I like to collect literally everything. My inventory is full. But I'll do something about that soon.

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

Haha, yeah, but I like to collect literally everything. My inventory is full. But I'll do something about that soon.

Actually I often do try to buy everything I don't always have, but somehow still have all that space left.

21 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

He meant for him. Good grief.

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

Actually I often do try to buy everything I don't always have, but somehow still have all that space left.

Then you're not doing it well enough. :p

No seriously, I go shop at other people's islands to get stuff, including variants, and I bought lots of stuff from Ables as well, which is not as useful for trading, but I still like to collect it. Once I've done a bit more work on my island, I'll hold a clothes market and give them away.

Just now, Sméagol said:

Then you're not doing it well enough. :p

No seriously, I go shop at other people's islands to get stuff, including variants, and I bought lots of stuff from Ables as well, which is not as useful for trading, but I still like to collect it. Once I've done a bit more work on my island, I'll hold a clothes market and give them away.

This sounds like obsessiveness. Do you really need an off-green rice cooker? :p

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

This sounds like obsessiveness. Do you really need an off-green rice cooker? :p

Need it? No. :p

it's the same as collecting fish and bugs to me, collecting is one of the main goals in AC. So I collect stuff:

• simply for collecting's sake
  • for trading
  • to have more options at Harv's
  • Ultimately to have more options for interior decorating

It's why I only recently started decorating my house, I only recently had enough stuff to experiment with at Harv's to see what I'd like and want.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

Thanks to whoever left me some buried treasure! 

7zPHQZX_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I love my new hat! :D 

s9LvELv_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1
  • Weird 1

Sheldon is moving out today. If anyone wants to take him home with them let me know and I can open up later. 

I have another meteor shower on Kyoshi tonight. I’m opening my gates but I won’t be around as I have other plans. So feel free to stop by and wish upon a star. 

• Thanks 1

Lots of stuff to do it seems.Plenty of new fish. The very first fish I caught was a sucker fish. The second was a fish I already caught on the southern hemisphere, the tilapia. The first balloon I shot down gave me a new DIY recipe for new seasonal stuff, which required "summer shells". I haven't found any yet, but I suspect they may be found on Nook miles tours islands, so I'll go visit one later, and will do Harv's quest as well.

Two more fish and three more bugs to go for June.

The wedding photography stuff is not for me. Don't think the rewards are worth it.

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

The wedding photography stuff is not for me. Don't think the rewards are worth it.

Also seems to suggest its going to be exactly the same for 30 days. Eesh.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

I haven't found any yet, but I suspect they may be found on Nook miles tours islands, so I'll go visit one later, and will do Harv's quest as well.

Nah, they just spawn like normal shells. Got 2 already on my daily session.

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Two more fish and three more bugs to go for June.

What are they and how do you get them? I had a little look at the thing and took photos but didn’t see anything about rewards.