NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

You can just walk around your beach and pick up all the shells. Sand dollars are the most common to respawn. But I'll try to save some if I see them on my beach. I needed them earlier for a DIY recipe as well.

1 minute ago, punio75 said:

Thanks!

Wasn't sure how quickly they respawned! 

I had this exact same mission yesterday, took a few hours waiting for respawns. Left you three by the airport. That was all I had on my beach. 

@punio75 where have I seen your avatar before? Is it something off Paper Mario? Been driving me daft haha. 

Edit: just remembered, it’s a character from Boggly Woods from TTYD. Googled it and he’s called Punio haha :indeed:

Silly me. 

Edited by Dog-amoto

My gate's open for a bit. Able sisters have a red fedora and cool steampunk glasses. Edit: And Sahara is here.

Edited by Sméagol

Now that some of you guys have finished the game, what is your final review?

You know that thing in restaurants when you can't decide what to order? That's me every single time I try and buy a bridge or incline. I still haven't actually bought a second one, even though I've asked Nook about them a dozen times. I wanted the brick bridge but after testing it out it's just massive and blocks a huge chunk of the (vertical-flowing) river. Argh.

Edit: but then again, searching online for examples, it does look cool

Animal-Crossing-New-Horizons-%E2%80%93-H

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

If anyone has any duplicate cherry blossom DIY recipes I'd love to take them off your hands in exchange for whatever.

I want to move my shop one tile to the right. Am I correct in thinking I need to pay Tom Nook twice to do that? When I try it now it says there is another building in the way (yeah it's the shop I want to move). So I'm starting to think I first need to move it somewhere else and then put it back to the same place except for one tile to the right.

Hardly seen any balloons in the last couple of days. I still need some sky eggs to finish off all the recipes - I've got an absolute ton of all the other types! 

Damn that update! 

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

You know that thing in restaurants when you can't decide what to order? That's me every single time I try and buy a bridge or incline. I still haven't actually bought a second one, even though I've asked Nook about them a dozen times. I wanted the brick bridge but after testing it out it's just massive and blocks a huge chunk of the (vertical-flowing) river. Argh.

I know what you mean, but I think this game teaches you to chill and just go with the flow.  The game isn't going to restrict your visibility, even if you build something chunkier than you'd like or in the wrong place - it'll just put that fish/fossil somewhere else where you can see it.  I'm making all my decisions on the assumption that I'll eventually have enough money to change anything I want.

Actually, I've found myself applying this if I miss a fish, or don't get all the Cherry Blossom recipes.  I just think "I can get it all eventually".  I genuinely think the game encourages calmness and patience.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr-Paul said:

Hardly seen any balloons in the last couple of days. I still need some sky eggs to finish off all the recipes - I've got an absolute ton of all the other types! 

Damn that update! 

I can get you sky eggs when I'm back online.

But yeah. I need the balloon onslaught, because occasionally they'd drop a cherry blossom recipe. Still need several of those.

6 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I want to move my shop one tile to the right. Am I correct in thinking I need to pay Tom Nook twice to do that? When I try it now it says there is another building in the way (yeah it's the shop I want to move). So I'm starting to think I first need to move it somewhere else and then put it back to the same place except for one tile to the right.

Oh dear. I have a few buildings I want to move just a few tiles.

Edited by Sméagol

There's also a shocking lack of normal furniture in this game. I have hardly any normal tables or platforms to put stuff on. Just feels silly to put my toaster and knife block on the floor of the kitchen... Can't wait for Nook's Cranny to expand so I can get a bit more to choose from!

Just now, Vileplume2000 said:

There's also a shocking lack of normal furniture in this game. I have hardly any normal tables or platforms to put stuff on. Just feels silly to put my toaster and knife block on the floor of the kitchen... Can't wait for Nook's Cranny to expand so I can get a bit more to choose from!

I was thinking that too. Didn't New Leaf have dozens of furniture collections? Might be one of those things they add bit by bit with free updates

13 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Edit: but then again, searching online for examples, it does look cool

Same here with not being able to decide on what kind of bridges. However, the river that goes across my island has generated in such a way that there are almost no places I can set a bridge outside of a couple of spots that are useless, but I've actually found this problem a good thing because I already can't decide which kind of bridges I'd use once I can reshape the land with terraforming.

Speaking of which, apparently KK Slider will show up tomorrow so I should unlock terraforming soon.

10 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Same here with not being able to decide on what kind of bridges. However, the river that goes across my island has generated in such a way that there are almost no places I can set a bridge outside of a couple of spots that are useless, but I've actually found this problem a good thing because I already can't decide which kind of bridges I'd use once I can reshape the land with terraforming.

I know what you mean about waiting for terraforming, it's just annoying having to pull out the vaulting pole every time until then. I just can't decide on a look! It's good that it lets you get the kit from Nook, try it out and then cancel if you don't like it though.

I've decided to go classic with my island. Stone paths with stone bridges. And they are luckily not the most expensive of bridges!

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I was thinking that too. Didn't New Leaf have dozens of furniture collections? Might be one of those things they add bit by bit with free updates

Most all the previous games did. Modern, ranch, green, blue, cabin, regal, robo. They were all full furniture sets that all had similar items. 

Yeah I was wondering as well about the different sets. Was thinking I'd have come across some of them by them now. At the moment I only have stuff from the "Rattan" set, the crafted "wooden" set, and seasonal stuff like the bunny set, cherry blossom set, and bamboo set.Can't think of any others from the top of my head.

Does anyone have yellow roses, I’m desperate for three :cry:

4 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Most all the previous games did. Modern, ranch, green, blue, cabin, regal, robo. They were all full furniture sets that all had similar items. 

I’m sure I saw the pink line (forget what it’s called now) in an early trailer. Must be coming at some point. 

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah I was wondering as well about the different sets. Was thinking I'd have come across some of them by them now. At the moment I only have stuff from the "Rattan" set, the crafted "wooden" set, and seasonal stuff like the bunny set, cherry blossom set, and bamboo set.Can't think of any others from the top of my head.

There's a few imperial items too. The imperial bed is a big four poster. :)

There seem to be a few golden items popping up in my recipe list too, so maybe that's a set. I remember getting the golden furniture set in New Leaf. :D

I saw the credits roll today, and so thought it'd be a good time to gather some thoughts on the game.  Of course, it is nowhere near complete, and this is an almost impossible game to properly review with the limited data we have at the moment, but now's as good a time as any.  As far as I'm concerned, Animal Crossing is pure magic.  I fundamentally love its charm and personality, and the gameplay actually.  From the moment I started playing, just after midnight on 20th March, I felt I was in a different world.  It’s without doubt the escapism we need right now.

It didn’t take long to get back into the habit.  Before long I was keeping hold of favourite items to put in my tent, digging up fossils and catching my favourite fish and bugs.  I’m a great believer in evolution, not revolution - keeping the feel of what went before and not changing too much. New Horizons does this brilliantly, adding just enough to be different from previous games, but in most ways just being better.  I’m not even sure I like the smartphone Tom Nook gives you, with its constant ping of achievements that distract you from whatever else you’re doing, but I can appreciate its satirical comment on modern life.

In the early days, I also felt under pressure to obtain iron ore, which seems like the distant past now, and I also wasn’t keen on how much the game deliberately keeps from you at the beginning.  It somewhat annoyed me, for example, that there was a time-limited creature such as the Stringfish hidden away up on a clifftop before you could easily and reliably access that place.  Everything else is so subtly improved, you probably wouldn’t notice it unless you went back to the 3DS game, at which point you’d long for the Switch’s brilliant textures and draw distance.

I do have two criticisms, however, that I haven’t changed my mind on over the past couple of weeks.  The first is the breakable tools. I simply do not see the appeal of breakable tools or weapons, and I don’t understand why modern developers feel like it’s something they have to put in games nowadays.  I spent hours and hours fishing in New Leaf, and have done in this as well. It’s like meditation. But when a fishing rod breaks it really ruins the “zen” of the moment.  Which brings me to my other grumble - crafting.  Whilst it’s not difficult to obtain materials and craft items, I agree with others that there should be a faster way of crafting en masse.

That said, I do believe Animal Crossing New Horizons will develop greatly over the coming year.  It’s intentionally slower paced than New Leaf, as though it wants to keep your interest over a much longer period.  For me, the seasonal fish and bugs are enough to do that, but it’s a different approach this time and we just have to go with the flow.

At this moment, New Horizons does feel incomplete, which is fine if it’s all coming at some point, but as it stands New Leaf has the better game design from the offset.  Whether the rest of the content is hidden within the game now, or will be supplied as DLC, is something I’d be curious to know.  I’m particularly keen to obtain the Sleek furniture series, for example, but haven’t seen any hint of it so far, or any of the other classic sets.  Achieving Rank A from the Happy Home Academy was surprisingly easy compared to New Leaf, where I remember striving hard to gain full “modern” sets; though a good thing about this is you can choose items that suit your personality rather than worrying about a theme.  Whether all this will be in the game eventually is a mystery. Regardless, for now I am happy to spend all night fishing, keep paying my mortgage and return to my abode, which currently has K.K. House blasting out of the stereo. Alas, it is no longer 2013, but I’m happy to be on this ride again.

• Like 3

Can players take advantage of meteor showers in other people's town? Last time I wished a stardust appeared on the beach the next day. Everyone says there will be one in mine tonight.