NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I could have lied about it if that would have made you feel better?

If I didn't know it was lie then obviously yes. :p

Now I'm just disappointed in you...

Well, my hype for this game took quite the nosedive in light of the coronavirus situation, :( New Horizons really did get released at simultaneously the best and worst time possible. :hmm: But yeah, I’ve been playing it since launch day and it’s certainly been helping to take my mind off everything that’s currently going on.

The game is absolutely gorgeous, and so relaxing. :love: I love pretty much all of the new features and additions in this version, although I’m not so keen on what they’ve done to custom designs, that smoothing effect can be very hit-or-miss. Would’ve preferred it to be optional as it’s good for some stuff, but terrible for others.

And as far as I can tell, there’s still no way to easily know which items you’ve already obtained when shopping. All they had to do was add a little icon or change the colour of the text, just something simple like that. ::shrug:

Anyway, it’s great to finally be playing this. Can’t wait to unlock the terraforming option.

• Like 3

I didn't even know that you can donate fish' and bugs to Nook! :eek: That didn't seem very obvious to me. And it seems I never talked to him while having animals in my inventory, thus the text option never popped up.

Now I'm finally getting my museum! :D Since I already have the ladder, I chose a spot on top of the mountain. Extremely inaccessible at the moment. :laughing:

And in the process of making donations I also finally got the recipe for the flimsy axe from Nook. :D I can I finally get some wood without using a mile ticket every time my axes break.

Edited by ThiophenSJ

The new Resident Services building has opened and I can confirm that the Nook Miles streak continues and you get 500 points off Nook due to the closure of the service for a day.

Loads more stuff has now opened up for me. I can build bridges and ramps, I can get x5 Nook Miles for certain actions that I do, lots more items are now available by spending Nook Miles, i've upgraded my inventory size again ( yay!), I can change the town tune and flag and there are a bunch of tasks to be done in order to get a surprise visitor to the island. Lots to do today.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The new Resident Services building has opened and I can confirm that the Nook Miles streak continues and you get 500 points off Nook due to the closure of the service for a day.

Loads more stuff has now opened up for me. I can build bridges and ramps, I can get x5 Nook Miles for certain actions that I do, lots more items are now available by spending Nook Miles, i've upgraded my inventory size again ( yay!), I can change the town tune and flag and there are a bunch of tasks to be done in order to get a surprise visitor to the island. Lots to do today.

Nice. 

Mine is closed for that upgrade today. 

Any new amiibo features available to you now?

When will the upgrade of Nooks Service Center be triggered? All these possibilities sound awesome!

44 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Nice. 

Mine is closed for that upgrade today. 

Any new amiibo features available to you now?

Not that I know of. Are the amiibo features just limited to Harvey's island?

38 minutes ago, ThiophenSJ said:

When will the upgrade of Nooks Service Center be triggered? All these possibilities sound awesome!

I think it triggers once you have 3 new villagers on your island and fully moved in.

I like that the flightless dodo in charge of aviation is called Orville.  Lovely tribute to Keith Harris.

Just in case people want to know which fish and insects to catch before April, I found a handy guide :
https://www.polygon.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch-acnh-guide/2020/3/25/21194292/march-bugs-fish-insects-critterpedia-leaving-last-chance

Bug Emperor Butterfly Flying N/A 4,000 5 p.m. - 8 a.m.
Fish Bitterling River Smallest 900 All day
Fish Yellow Perch River Medium 300 All day
Fish Stringfish River (Clifftop) Largest 15,000 4 p.m. - 9 a.m.
Fish Sturgeon River (mouth) Largest 10,000 All day
Fish Sea Butterfly Sea Smallest 1,000 All day
Fish Football Fish Sea Large 2,500 4 p.m. - 9 a.m.
I love the idea that someone at Nintendo in Japan is a huge fan of naff 80's ventriloquists, but isn't he (and the duck) named after Orville Wright, co-inventor of the first powered airplane?

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

a surprise visitor to the island.

I must've missed this... what are you talking about? :D

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Not that I know of. Are the amiibo features just limited to Harvey's island?

That’s the only place I can use them at the moment, but I’m sure I remember seeing something about it eventually being possible to scan amiibo and have specific  characters move to your island.

56 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I must've missed this... what are you talking about? :D

Spoiler

K.K. Slider

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Bah! Gutted the Emperor Butterfly is leaving. It's been a great source of bells for me. :( 

I haven't even seen one yet :(

Now that I think about it...I haven't seen many bugs around at all apart from the odd moth. Is there a trick to making them spawn more often? 

About a week in now, so it's time for a little bit of evaluation. First of all what a charming game it is. It could use a bit more QoL/menu-friendly features but aside from that everything is just great. Graphically it looks so smooth, and with stuff like fur effects on Tom Nook and bokeh where stuff in the front looks unsharp when talking to somebody is great. 

Being able to put stuff outside is amazing, you can really fill your island to your own taste. Great that they made an effort of also dressing up the gardens of new inhabitants. All the extra missions really give the game a goal that was lacking in the past.

I'm actually loving the slow start. It's a game I don't want to rush out so doing a couple of things a day and seeing your options grow is perfect. Playing this each day for an hour or maybe two is more than enough.

Currently 2 of the 3 new inhabitants have made it to the island, so I'm guessing tomorrow #3 will arrive and that will open up the new possibilities. My exotic fruit trees are starting to produce now, so picking up foreign fruit means easy cash each day. Got some pears from @drahkonso that's my last orchard planted soon. I prefer this a lot over fishing and bug hunting.

Multiplayer is great as well, and I can't wait for the next N-E party. I hope they will add some multiplayer games though, otherwise it's all a matter of creativity.

Oh, and for people who are not great at drawing but want custom designs: I've been using this site where you can upload an image, create a pattern and generate a QR code for the app: https://acpatterns.com/editor

Loving this game, but I'm definitely going the easy route.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I haven't even seen one yet :(

Now that I think about it...I haven't seen many bugs around at all apart from the odd moth. Is there a trick to making them spawn more often? 

Flowers. Lots of flowers. The Emperor Butterflies don't show up until after 4pm though.

Think I've done everything for today.

Decided to customize my house so no upgrade for me. Campsite is on its way. Well...I guess I'll just spend my 20000 Nook Miles on some plane tickets.

Looks like I’m Stringfish and Sturgeon hunting later. 

So do people have a daily routine yet? I’m getting into the habit of Shop checking, go round and hit rocks and shake trees for bells and dig up fossils. The later in the evening just doing whatever. 

Chores and shopping in the morning, decorating/island visiting/Nook missions in the evening for me. 

• Thanks 1

By the way, when are you supposed to be able to get new villagers/buy new houses for them?

13 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Looks like I’m Stringfish and Sturgeon hunting later. 

So do people have a daily routine yet? I’m getting into the habit of Shop checking, go round and hit rocks and shake trees for bells and dig up fossils. The later in the evening just doing whatever. 

My day starts with me walking around the entirety of my town, hitting rocks, digging up fossils, pulling weeds, talking to everyone, stopping off at the shop/resident services to see what's up.

Once I've done my walkthrough, I visit the shop and museum to sell and donate what I need to.

Once that's done, I get to work on the more specific jobs. Check if my foreign fruit trees have born fruit and replace some of my normal trees and then I try to do the Nook Miles+ tasks that give me double points.

And then I switch to a different game.

With my recent windfall, I've paid off the 98,000 bell loan yesterday and I plan on paying the next loan immediately.

My Resident Services is starting renovations tomorrow. So that's cool.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

That's pretty much my routine as well. Do all of my chores in the morning and then grind for cash in the afternoon.

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

By the way, when are you supposed to be able to get new villagers/buy new houses for them?

I imagine it's after the whole building the campsite task that Nook gave you this morning.

I finally got to visit one of the more special mystery islands this morning. This place had bamboo trees all over the place, as well as seeds to dig up. I filled my pockets with both and then went on my way. :) 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I imagine it's after the whole building the campsite task that Nook gave you this morning.

Hm, that's what I figured, but I read that you were able to buy plots of land for villagers from day 4 on. But I guess that was just for the three initial villagers ::shrug:

Edited by drahkon

I forgot how compulsive Animal Crossing is :D

A few days in and I've just managed to get all of the materials to build the shop - wasn't sure how to farm for iron nuggets at first, forgot that you could hit a rock that many times!

Anyway, that's all sorted now, I've been donating plenty to Blathers, and am making good progress on my 98,000 loan. 

Looking forward to getting a ladder so I can pull out all the weeds on the top of my cliffs!

2 minutes ago, Mr-Paul said:

I forgot how compulsive Animal Crossing is :D

A few days in and I've just managed to get all of the materials to build the shop - wasn't sure how to farm for iron nuggets at first, forgot that you could hit a rock that many times!

Anyway, that's all sorted now, I've been donating plenty to Blathers, and am making good progress on my 98,000 loan. 

Looking forward to getting a ladder so I can pull out all the weeds on the top of my cliffs!

I can drop a ladder off for you if you'd like to make an early start.