NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

We don't want you polluting our Animal Crossing positivity anyway :p 

I'd probably just try and murder the animals anyway. I wanna use the axe properly. :p 

• Haha 1

Not gonna get the game, but happened to hop into the direct. It looks really good for a chill game for wasting time on the bus and so on. But it's not for me :)

Disappointing stuff, I want bigger changes, and the crafting isn't doing it for me. I'm getting it regardless because:

• I like the small improvements like the better customisation (terrain editing!), qol stuff and photo options.
  • It's been a while for me, and I miss the AC vibe. Last game was the one for Wii.

I really think the should get Doom guy in Smash, would be great cross promotion, but.. I can see a nice opportunity for some Doom / AC cross promotion too. They can put the Doom helmet in AC as a "hat", and if you can still collect Bobbleheads in Doom, they could put Isabelle in as an easteregg.

content-4-36154-animalcrossingdirect20022020roundupbanner.jpg

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Direct 20.02.2020 Roundup

Full press release and link to the video up on the main page. :D

A reasonable presentation overall, it gave much of the expected information in many areas and moreorless what we already knew in others. ::shrug:

I'm still looking forward to it as the game does look fantastic but I'll be equally interested to hear about the save data program at a later date. :peace:

Also... I'm almost certain that there was something related to certain content being unlocked with amiibo and K.K. Slider was eluded to... called it. ;)

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

So it looks like New Horizons will be very similar to previous games in the AC series (albeit much prettier :love:) I'm actually OK with that though. The biggest surprise was definitely terrain customisation! Super excited for that particular feature. :bouncy: Hopefully there aren't many/any restrictions to how much you can modify the overall shape of an island, if it's completely unrestricted we could be seeing some really interesting and unique island layouts. :cool: Looks like that aspect will unlock quite a while into the game though, would've been cool if it was possible to manually modify island shape at the very beginning as well... although, I'd likely never start playing the game if it was like that. :hehe:

Anyway, roll on March 20th! :)

• Like 2

This game looks GLORIOUS. I mean, visually it's absolutely stunning, and dripping with that Nintendo polish, but all the new features and tons of QOL improvements are great too.

The terrain customisation was the biggest surprise, definitely wasn't expecting that and it opens up lots of possibilities. 

Free updates + amiibo support sounds good too. Given Nintendo have been putting out content updates in the last few years to extend a game's life, we could see more of those "new" gameplay experiences people are after come later?

Can't wait! :)

Edited by Ronnie

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Free updates + amiibo support sounds good too. 

Yeah, although it is a little bit weird how they're also referring to previously established holiday events and special animals as "updates" now. Are some of these AC traditions really missing from the base game? :blank: No big deal I guess, just kind of strange.

Nice to see pattern QR codes from New Leaf and Happy Home Designer will still be usable via the phone app though.

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, although it is a little bit weird how they're also referring to previously established holiday events and special animals as "updates" now. Are some of these AC traditions really missing from the base game? :blank: No big deal I guess, just kind of strange.

Do you think that's to stop people time travelling to get to holidays earlier?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Do you think that's to stop people time travelling to get to holidays earlier?

Ah, good point. That could very well be the reason. 

I've bought the digital version of this off ShopTo. As someone who already very much likes Animal Crossing, is the new trailer/footage worth checking out?

11 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I've bought the digital version of this off ShopTo. As someone who already very much likes Animal Crossing, is the new trailer/footage worth checking out?

I think so. There’s some reveals in there but a lot of it is just seeing how they’ll be doing the familiar stuff this time around.

8 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

It looks like there is quite a number of animal friends that can wind up on your island:

Hide contents

Tangy better be back.

• Haha 1

I bought a Henry amiibo card off eBay just to make sure I get that guy in my town.

Oh and I'm a 35 year old grown man.

Amazingly those two things aren't mutually exclusive. 

• Haha 2

Nintendo has re-uploaded the Direct and removed any mention of the one-time save recovery. The wording seems to be changing here to open up to the possibility of what the EU and Japan sites say.

Interesting.

• Thanks 2

The site says this:

Important notes regarding save data
- This game does not support the Save Data Cloud functionality of Nintendo Switch Online. However, the ability to recover Animal Crossing: New Horizons save data from the server in the event of console failure, loss or theft will be available to Nintendo Switch Online members later this year.

- This game does not currently support the ability to transfer your save file from one Nintendo Switch console to another. However, a function specific to Animal Crossing: New Horizons to move users and save data to another console is planned for later this year.

Is that part new? There's some cloud save functionality if they are able to restore from a sve from the server.

I bought some Amiibo cards, Amazon still has a 2 pack per customer restriction on them. :laughing:

That bit (the whole quote) was from the press release issued after the direct finished. 

• Thanks 2

Am I understanding right that you're forced to share a single island with all people that use your console? Both me and my SO are the kind that would want to complete whole collections (fishing etc) by ourselves, start to finish... is this the new two-versions-of-every-Pokemon scam? :blank:

Why not let me have as many islands as I want? As many saves? Share if I want, don't share if I don't want?

Edit: I should point out I've not played AC games in the past so if this isn't new, that's on me. Still super disappointing.

• Like 2