NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

17 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
1 hour ago, RedShell said:
So apparently cloud saves won't be supported for this game. Not cool. :sad:
Hopefully there will at least be an option to transfer saves locally between Switch systems (I believe Splatoon 2 allows for this) or Nintendo get a Switch hardware revision out before New Horizons launches. :hmm: I wouldn't be too fussed about losing my Splatoon data now actually, but something like Animal Crossing is a very different matter.

That is so silly. Literally what are we paying for with this online service?!

They're giving me a year free with those voucher things, it's an offer only to Online members. Plus things like Tetris 99, virtual console, clouds saves in most games, and you know, online play.

This is stupid though, and one of those things that they'll course correct on closer to release, so no sense to start the uproar on here until March 20 gets here and we still can't cloud save, then by all means...

They're giving me a year free with those voucher things, it's an offer only to Online members. Plus things like Tetris 99, virtual console, clouds saves in most games, and you know, online play.
This is stupid though, and one of those things that they'll course correct on closer to release, so no sense to start the uproar on here until March 20 gets here and we still can't cloud save, then by all means...

Good for you. Doesn't change that it's not a good/acceptable service.

Have Nintendo brought cloud saves to a game that didn't previously support it? I am trying to figure out why you think it's so obvious this will be fixed, and why we must wait until release to comment?

Just now, Sheikah said:

Good for you. Doesn't change that it's not a good/acceptable service.

For the cheap price, I think it's perfectly acceptable.

I would have probably paid £18 a year just to have a library of NES/SNES games tbh. Better than paying £5 per game like on Virtual console.

Have Nintendo brought cloud saves to a game that didn't previously support it? I am trying to figure out why you think it's so obvious this will be fixed, and why we must wait until release to comment?

Never said you can't comment but I just think it's worth waiting to see how it pans out. I'd be very, very surprised if they don't change their minds.

They're not giving you NES/SNES games, just NES for £18. They're not even giving us voice chat or messaging through the console. It's a joke of a service. If the NES games were not tied to online play then hardly anyone would bother.

I don't see any reason to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt in this case - they have a track record for poor online and at no point have they brought cloud saves to a game that originally didn't have them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

They're not giving you NES/SNES games, just NES for £18. They're not even giving us voice chat or messaging through the console. It's a joke of a service. If the NES games were not tied to online play then hardly anyone would bother.

Well they gave me a year free, so yeah. Very cheap, classic games, things like Tetris 99, special discounts, I'm happy.

2 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I don't see any reason to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt in this case - they have a track record for poor online and at no point have they brought cloud saves to a game that originally didn't have them.

That's because most games have them.

It's got nothing to do with the Online service, it's to prevent people cheating. You couldn't backup your save on the 3DS either. Keep on topic please.

Cheating at Animal Crossing? Is that even a thing?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bob said:

Cheating at Animal Crossing? Is that even a thing?

It is now that Mr Resetti has been fired.

It's got nothing to do with the Online service, it's to prevent people cheating. You couldn't backup your save on the 3DS either. Keep on topic please.

Actually it's to do with preserving the time mechanic from what I've read, not necessarily cheating. You could always do this in past titles by changing the system time so not sure why they suddenly object to that.

Nintendo could have developed a more rigorous cloud storage system - there are games on other systems that get around many of the issues they seem to face. I see no reason why they couldn't allow you to restore your save and "skip time", as it were. They could even adopt a crude approach of allowing one save restore every 30 days. That way it's difficult to get much gain from this but you still have the safety net of an online backup.

35 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

You could always do this in past titles by changing the system time so not sure why they suddenly object to that.

I'm sure they objected to it back then as well, but didn't see a way around it. No doubt you'll be able to time travel this time as well.

In theory you could duplicate money and items by trading them to a friend and then restoring your cloud backup. I'm not sure how often the auto save goes off.

I'm not sure how this prevents time travel though. I guess if you restore an old save from say a few months ago then you'll kinda kill your town as the game will think you haven't played that long.

I'm sure they objected to it back then as well, but didn't see a way around it. No doubt you'll be able to time travel this time as well.
If you can time travel in this one by changing the system clock then why disable cloud saves? Seems unnecessary to me.

Just put in a limit on the amount of times you can save restore and there's really not much of a problem.

In theory you could duplicate money and items by trading them to a friend and then restoring your cloud backup. I'm not sure how often the auto save goes off.
I'm not sure how this prevents time travel though. I guess if you restore an old save from say a few months ago then you'll kinda kill your town as the game will think you haven't played that long.

They already let you do time travel by changing the system clock, it doesn't break the game at all.

You could make a single duplicate of every item technically with cloud saves but there are creative ways around this. One way is for a mark to be put against any items acquired before a save restore to make them untradeable. Another is to limit save restores to once every 30 days to greatly reduce the amount of items you could gain from this.

These are just some thoughts off the top of my head, I'm sure a more elaborate/satisfactory solution could be conceived. It shouldn't be a big deal anyway since AC isn't a competitive game.

Maybe now on Switch they can finally detect such shenanigans? Maybe it's Resetti's new job? Otherwise I also don't see the point of disabling cloudsaves.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Good point hadn’t thought of that. 

Nice technical analysis vid here that covers all of the aspects I was so impressed with at the E3 reveal:

Cool to see some competition for Digital Foundry too. I like their content but they didn't cover this game, and although they do more Nintendo stuff now than in the past, they still seem to prefer analysing the other systems/PC.

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Cool to see some competition for Digital Foundry too. I like their content but they didn't cover this game, and although they do more Nintendo stuff now than in the past, they still seem to prefer analysing the other systems/PC.

Surprised to hear you say that, I've always thought the Digital Foundry guys have a real soft spot for Nintendo. They often sing the Switches praises, at least when it comes to first party releases. They did a little bit on Luigi's Mansion 3 but I guess without having direct access to gameplay footage they couldn't do an Animal Crossing one. But yeah I guess they do more PC stuff cause there's just more games available to analyse.

And as for AC, I'll watch the Gamexplain vid later. The great thing is the game looks good now and is only going to look better in nine (:cry:) months

Edited by Ronnie

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Surprised to hear you say that, I've always thought the Digital Foundry guys have a real soft spot for Nintendo. They often sing the Switches praises, at least when it comes to first party releases. They did a little bit on Luigi's Mansion 3 but I guess without having direct access to gameplay footage they couldn't do an Animal Crossing one. But yeah I guess they do more PC stuff cause there's just more games available to analyse.

And as for AC, I'll watch the Gamexplain vid later. The great thing is the game looks good now and is only going to look better in nine (:cry:) months

I think their view of Nintendo has changed quite a lot since the Switch, but I dunno, I still sometimes detect a kind of underlying snobbery from them when it comes to Nintendo. I may be wrong of course, just a vibe I occasionally get. ::shrug:

Anyway, the more channels providing this type of content the better, as it means more variety in the type of games covered. Speaking of Digital Foundry though, I still cannot believe they never took a look at The Tomorrow Children! :o That game was simply astonishing from a technical perspective, especially in terms of its lighting. Would have made for a really interesting analysis.

Used my catalogue discount code to pre-order it from the Nintendo store last night, who needs Cyberpunk, Resident Evil 3 and FF7 when you've got Animal Crossing?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, killthenet said:

Used my catalogue discount code to pre-order it from the Nintendo store last night, who needs Cyberpunk, Resident Evil 3 and FF7 when you've got Animal Crossing?

Thanks for reminding me about that. Just done the same.