NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_BlizZACK

Final Fantasy X / X-2 on Switch (2019)

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is what happens when you drop a game to play something else instead of finishing what you started. :p 

Yeah, yeah. SHUT UP :p 

• Haha 2

Alright.

All monster captured. Step #1 is complete!

Time to maximise some stats. I'm going to do this pretty inefficiently because you need to fill every single slot of the sphere grid anyways for a trophy. ::shrug: 

Edit: Mymy, I can still get 3x "2 Hits" during Wakka's Attack Reels without fail after all these years. The muscle memory is reel (HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE).

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

I just spent the better part of the evening trying to get a perfect armor from Dark Valefor (if I'm going for the Platinum, I'm doing it the right way; no Zanmato in this save file!).
Finally got it...and for Tidus!!! He now has the best equipment:

His celestial weapon Caladbolg
and
the armor Sanctuary with Break HP Limit, Ribbon, Auto-Haste and Auto-Phoenix.

This will make some fights for stat maxing much easier and faster. Here's hoping I get Break HP Limit and Ribbon on a 4-slot armor for Wakka next. 

Dark Aeon farming will be fun :D Not sure if I'll try it with every Aeon or just wait until I'm strong enough to defeat Dark Yojimbo, as you can fight him as many times as you want.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

I haven't play FF before. Should I be happy for these games :)?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Kounan said:

I haven't play FF before. Should I be happy for these games :)?

If you like turn-based JRPGs, yes. FFX is one of the greats. 

If you like turn-based JRPGs, yes. FFX is one of the greats. 
I am not sure I have played any, so I have to try it once (so why not with something great :) ). Thc.

1 minute ago, Kounan said:

I am not sure I have played any, so I have to try it once (so why not with something great :) ).

Never played a JRPG? You madman :p  

But yeah, just give it a try. It can be a little overwhelming at first (menus, leveling up, the huge world, etc. - JRPGs are massive) but stick with it, even if at first you may not like it that much. If after 5-10 hours you still don't like it, it's best to move on.

Never played a JRPG? You madman   
But yeah, just give it a try. It can be a little overwhelming at first (menus, leveling up, the huge world, etc. - JRPGs are massive) but stick with it, even if at first you may not like it that much. If after 5-10 hours you still don't like it, it's best to move on.
I've played Xenoblade, but I don't think that counts :D

8 minutes ago, Kounan said:

That totally counts. Now, a turn-based JRPG...

I actually just finished FFX for the first time and while it has it's interesting ideas, I wouldn't say it was a good choice for a first Final Fantasy.

The gameplay is a remarkable shift from a traditional JRPG and those sidequests are absolutely ridiculous bull doo doo. The game expects completionists to jump through an insane amount of hoops and they suck the fun out of the game if you go for them.

If you're looking to dip your toe into Final Fantasy on your Switch, then I would recommend 7. It's far more straight-forward and a better indication of what to expect off of most JRPG's. You just gotta look past the pretty dated graphics and at times weird translation.

58 minutes ago, Kounan said:

It certainly counts. 

Most JRPGs are pretty story heavy so you have to make sure that you are up for a game that has a long narrative.

Seeing as the best Final Fantasy game (VIII) isn't heading to Switch, the next best thing is probably X. This one has an amazing soundtrack, great characters and fantastic story. The battle system is easy to get used to and the sphere grid system means you can tailor your characters to how you want them.

Due to its more linear approach, I think it's a good starting point for those who don't normally play JRPGs. It's very much an A to B adventure and it guides you nicely to where you need to go.

• Like 1

It certainly counts. 
Most JRPGs are pretty story heavy so you have to make sure that you are up for a game that has a long narrative.
Seeing as the best Final Fantasy game (VIII) isn't heading to Switch, the next best thing is probably X. This one has an amazing soundtrack, great characters and fantastic story. The battle system is easy to get used to and the sphere grid system means you can tailor your characters to how you want them.
Due to its more linear approach, I think it's a good starting point for those who don't normally play JRPGs. It's very much an A to B adventure and it guides you nicely to where you need to go.

Xenoblade isn't turn based, so that's why I thought it doesn't count :). I loved Xenoblade (all three, haven't played Thorna), so I should then like FF, it's just the turn based combat I have to get use to.

2 hours ago, Kounan said:

Xenoblade isn't turn based, so that's why I thought it doesn't count :). I loved Xenoblade (all three, haven't played Thorna), so I should then like FF, it's just the turn based combat I have to get use to.

Some of the Dragon Quest games - I think you can do it in most of them, but certainly VIII - are good for beginners because you can set the A.I. to control your party.  You just have to choose your move for the main character, and (if you want), the computer does the rest.  It's a good way of showing you tactics you might not have thought of too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kounan said:

Funnily enough, Final Fantasy 12 (Which is also coming out on Switch) plays a bit similarly to Xenoblade. At least from what I can tell, there's probably a few differences, sure.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 4:02 AM, Glen-i said:

Funnily enough, Final Fantasy 12 (Which is also coming out on Switch) plays a bit similarly to Xenoblade. At least from what I can tell, there's probably a few differences, sure.

It does have some similarities with its combat, but it has a lot of problems (you really don’t have much control at all, it’s not really inaccurate to say that it feels like the game plays itself).  I’ve always thought of Xenoblade’s combat as FF12 Done Right.

I really like the setting, story and world of FF12, but I could never finish it because I just found it so boring to play... Hopefully the overhauled gameplay from the previously JPN only Zodiac Job System version (the HD version is a remake of that Japanese-only release and it significantly overhauls the gameplay) makes for a much more interesting game to play though; because there actually is a lot to like about FF12, if only the gameplay wasn’t so sleep inducing!

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I really like the setting, story and world of FF12, but I could never finish it because I just found it so boring to play... Hopefully the overhauled gameplay from the previously JPN only Zodiac Job System version (the HD version is a remake of that Japanese-only release and it significantly overhauls the gameplay) makes for a much more interesting game to play though; because there actually is a lot to like about FF12, if only the gameplay wasn’t so sleep inducing!

I assume this port will be like the PS4 version of the game, which means you can just hit the fast forward button and get through the parts you find boring in a much speedier manner. It was fantastic for power levelling. Being able to set up your team to fight how you want them to fight, putting them in a place with constantly respawning enemies, walking away for an hour or two and then coming back with a powered up team was great. :D 

I actually preferred Final Fantasy XII to Xenoblade Chronicles, although I could see why some find the latter more engaging.  Whereas in Xenoblade Chronicles you have to be on top of what special moves each character is performing, FF XII's Gambit system is more about setting up what each character will tend to do in any given situation.  It's sort of like setting up simple A.I. for your team - quite ambitious really.  I'm looking forward to replaying FF XII, because I played it so badly the first time around.  Unlike Xenoblade Chronicles, I did complete it, but I trained everyone in the same weapon and never even developed any elemental magic!

19 minutes ago, Grazza said:

I actually preferred Final Fantasy XII to Xenoblade Chronicles, although I could see why some find the latter more engaging.  Whereas in Xenoblade Chronicles you have to be on top of what special moves each character is performing, FF XII's Gambit system is more about setting up what each character will tend to do in any given situation.  It's sort of like setting up simple A.I. for your team - quite ambitious really.  I'm looking forward to replaying FF XII, because I played it so badly the first time around.  Unlike Xenoblade Chronicles, I did complete it, but I trained everyone in the same weapon and never even developed any elemental magic!

It's crazy how easily you can break the game by selecting the right jobs and gambit setups. Stream rolling enemies while you just sit back and watch the fallout never gets old. For me, the story was very weak in FFXII but the job and Gambit system made the game a joy to play.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's crazy how easily you can break the game by selecting the right jobs and gambit setups. Stream rolling enemies while you just sit back and watch the fallout never gets old. For me, the story was very weak in FFXII but the job and Gambit system made the game a joy to play.

Yes indeed.  I'm afraid the only things I can remember about the story are an Anthony Hopkins style narration, a bunny woman in a thong and the final boss throwing a tantrum!

I hate you all. FFXII's story is not weak. It has incredible world building, a complete lore without you having to read bestiary entries or something similar, great characters (yes, even Vaan, especially if you realize that he doesn't play a huge role in the story; sounds paradoxical but in my opinion, it's nice to see a "normal" guy simply being an observer - he's quite the contrast to the other characters who influence everything) and character development, the best protagonist (and that is Balthier, no one can tell me otherwise) and an engaging political plotline. 

What I like most is that it's not the typical "black vs white" story, i.e. huge evil vs ultra good. It has kind of a "gray vs gray" approach. Most "antagonists" aren't entirely evil (looking at you, Venat).

In conclusion: I HATE YOU ALL :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, drahkon said:

What I like most is that it's not the typical "black vs white" story, i.e. huge evil vs ultra good. It has kind of a "gray vs gray" approach. Most "antagonists" aren't entirely evil (looking at you, Venat).

You do realise that apart from the character name at the end, you can use this paragraph to talk about Bravely Default, right?

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

You do realise that apart from the character name at the end, you can use this paragraph to talk about Bravely Default, right?

Never played it. I guess I'd like the story of Bravely Default, as well.

Never played it. I guess I'd like the story of Bravely Default, as well.
IMO Bravely Default has literally one of the worst stories of any RPG. There's a crazy plot mechanic in it that to this day I don't know how it got through. I was losing the will by the end.

3 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

IMO Bravely Default has literally one of the worst stories of any RPG. There's a crazy plot mechanic in it that to this day I don't know how it got through. I was losing the will by the end.

Never played it. I guess I wouldn't like the story of Bravely Default.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

It still baffles me that they thought that was a fun mechanic to use. If was the very definition of needlessly padding the game and it ruined the experience for me.

Both Bravely Default and Octopath suffer from similar problems in that they both have amazing soundtracks, good battle systems but both fail on the story front and both completely fall apart by the end of the game.

It still baffles me that they thought that was a fun mechanic to use. If was the very definition of needlessly padding the game and it ruined the experience for me.
Both Bravely Default and Octopath suffer from similar problems in that they both have amazing soundtracks, good battle systems but both fail on the story front and both completely fall apart by the end of the game.
It's weird, all they have to do is look at a game like FFIX and make a game like it which would be perfect for Switch. Like fleshed out towns, characters, environments, and a deep plot. They can keep the battle system they've developed, and run with these changes and make an amazing game.
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this