NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mr-Paul

I'm a gamer, but hardly ever play games nowadays.

I have, but the length is a big turnoff.  I do like the Ys series, but I just can’t stomach a big 50+ RPG right now.

Might go back and play Ys 1 & 2 soon though, they’re nice and short! But I’m gonna replay Shantae GBC first.  Just started again last night after listening to the music and getting into the mood!
How about roguelikes? I find them perfect in this day and age because each run is relatively short. Something like Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne or Rogue Legacy is perfect for me. At least some of those are on Switch I think!

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is something I have been feeling for the best part of this year. In terms of quality, first party, single player games the Switch has really struggled this year, at least it has for me. With Nintendo really only concentrating on one platform ( yeah, 3DS is still getting supported but I don't imagine many resources are being used in porting/making those games ) I would have thought their output would have been far more substantial that what we've gotten so far. I mean, games like Mario Tennis should really not have launched the way it did, especially given the state of the Wii U tennis game, but sadly Nintendo seems to be following the rest of the industry by releasing certain games that are half baked and then adding more content as the year goes on. It's a practice I really dislike but I can see why so many publishers are starting to do it. Next years lineup looks far better but I do think this year has been a bit rough.

I've also gotten tired of the eShop scene on the Switch. When I look at the quality of the games that were at launch and look at the state of the store now it's sad to see that they threw out the window the screening process and, just like every other digital store, have allowed any old rubbish on the system. Add to the fact the sheer number of games that are released on a weekly basis and it makes for an unpleasant viewing experience. A few weeks back people on Era were touting how great it was that the amount of games that the Switch eShop had had already surpassed other Nintendo stores but when a lot of it is just pure garbage then what is there to celebrate?

I mean we're in year 2 of the console being released, we got a lot of "big hitters" in the first year, it's only natural there'll be a bit of downtime in the second year. Hopefully should be better going forward.

In regards to the eShop, it's a bit of a monkey paw wish. The large number of shovelware titles means the platform is doing well and digital makes it easier to put out there. The eShop could do with an overhaul so we can find games a bit better.

55 minutes ago, Ike said:

I mean we're in year 2 of the console being released, we got a lot of "big hitters" in the first year, it's only natural there'll be a bit of downtime in the second year. Hopefully should be better going forward.

Yeah, but considering how little Wii U titles there were in the twilight years, mixed with them only developing for a single platform, I figured their output would have been much better than it has been. 

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:
1 hour ago, Dcubed said:
I have, but the length is a big turnoff.  I do like the Ys series, but I just can’t stomach a big 50+ RPG right now.

Might go back and play Ys 1 & 2 soon though, they’re nice and short! But I’m gonna replay Shantae GBC first.  Just started again last night after listening to the music and getting into the mood!

How about roguelikes? I find them perfect in this day and age because each run is relatively short. Something like Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne or Rogue Legacy is perfect for me. At least some of those are on Switch I think!

I do have BOI and it’s ok, I’m not a massive fan really. What I’m really hungry for is a crafted experience, not something procedurally generated.

Ideally an action adventure or a good platformer.  Something like Devil May Cry 5, Bloodstained, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Luigi’s Mansion 3 or Metroid Prime 4.  Even Animal Crossing and Pokemon Gen 8 (not Let’s Go) are getting me excited! That’s what I really need to play now!

Shantae GBC will do for now though.  It’s been long enough since my last playthrough for it to feel fresh and it fits the bill nicely!

Edited by Dcubed

Red Dead Redemption has made me realise how little time I actually have for gaming nowadays.

All I want to do is play it, but between work, housework, spending time with the girlfriend, walking the dog and general chores/social engagements, I just don't have time like I used to. Even if I do find time, I'm just too tired to interact with something, so just put YouTube or Netflix on.

I miss living with my parents, where my meals were cooked for me and I only had a handful of chores. Being an adult sucks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dcubed said:

... but another reason is because nothing on Switch is really engaging me.  I’m looking for something substantial to play that is primarily single player focused, not a million hours long, not an open world game (I hate them) and is not really an RPG (I have both Xenoblade 2 and Octopath, but I just can’t bring myself to start them - it’s just too big of a time investment and I really don’t feel like playing an RPG).  But there’s nothing outside of ports of games that I’ve already played, as well as Breath of the Wild (which i hated), Mario Odyssey (which I found to be very disappointing) and Kirby Star Allies (which isn’t bad, but it’s definitely a weaker entry in the series).  I’m pretty sure that if could look at my Switch play-log, Bayonetta 2 would be the game I’ve played the most; and that’s a bit sad, considering that it’s a port of a 4 year old game.  Sure, Switch has some cracking multiplayer games (and I do enjoy them), but as far as original, non-port, meaty single player games go? There really isn’t much, unless you love open world games or RPGs (and while I do like RPGs, I’m really just not in the mood for one - except Undertale, I’m down for Undertale; but it’s a very short RPG that’s also a bullet hell game, so nerr! It doesn’t count!).

Wow, I thought it was just me!  Now I'm not going to pretend this is the reason I'm burnt out, personally, but I do very much agree.  Whilst I very much enjoyed Mario Odyssey and Octopath Traveler, the post-game of neither could hold my attention, and despite being initially impressed with Breath of the Wild, I agree with your verdict.  @Ike's suggestion of Ys VIII is a good one, as I feel it's been quite an overlooked "major" game, but I must admit my attention is slipping 50+ hours in.  One I did love was Dragon Quest Builders, but it took all my focus to complete.

Regarding the whole "open world" subject, with rising development costs, I find it surprising that software teams are giving themselves lots more work by making their games so huge.  What we're missing is the well-crafted, tightly-focused 1- or 2-week experience like Wind Waker, Metroid Prime or Mario Sunshine.  I don't want games to be a completely linear thrill ride, but nor do I want them to be loose and unfocused.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ike said:

In regards to the eShop, it's a bit of a monkey paw wish. The large number of shovelware titles means the platform is doing well and digital makes it easier to put out there. The eShop could do with an overhaul so we can find games a bit better.

I do think there is something a little unhealthy with Nintendo though, specifically - like you say, those "big hitters" came out (Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Xenoblade), but then they're kind of done for that system, first party wise. They have Smash and Metroid Prime as other "big" games but the latter is a long way off. I wonder if third parties can provide more big exclusives for Nintendo or if it'll mostly be much smaller Nintendo titles (or alternative style games like Animal Crossing) from now on.

2019 for Switch has Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Pokemon Gen 8, Yoshi's Crafted World and Daemon x Machina, that we know of. Then throw in NSMBUD, Metroid Prime 4, Star Fox Grand Prix/Retro's project, Pikmin 4 that Miyamoto often talks about, and whatever else that's left to be announced.

And that's just first party wise.

Then things like Bayonetta 3 and there's still rumours of anothere Direct before the end of the year + their usual Game Awards showing.

2018 has been much slower compared to the insane 2017, but next year looks a return to form. Especially with Smash keeping us busy for a good chunk of it as well. Great time to be a Nintendo fan imo.

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

2019 for Switch has Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Pokemon Gen 8, Yoshi's Crafted World and Daemon x Machina, that we know of. Then throw in NSMBUD, Metroid Prime 4, Star Fox Grand Prix/Retro's project, Pikmin 4 that Miyamoto often talks about, and whatever else that's left to be announced.

And that's just first party wise.

Then things like Bayonetta 3 and there's still rumours of anothere Direct before the end of the year + their usual Game Awards showing.

2018 has been much slower compared to the insane 2017, but next year looks a return to form. Especially with Smash keeping us busy for a good chunk of it as well. Great time to be a Nintendo fan imo.

I don't think most of these are mainstream big hitters, or coming that soon (with respect to Pokemon/Metroid Prime). As I say, I think Nintendo deal with a lot of big 'knowns' and I think a lot of them have now been played. They also don't exactly have many other third parties propping them up with massive games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin's Creed, etc.

26 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I don't think most of these are mainstream big hitters, or coming that soon (with respect to Pokemon/Metroid Prime). As I say, I think Nintendo deal with a lot of big 'knowns' and I think a lot of them have now been played. They also don't exactly have many other third parties propping them up with massive games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, 2D Mario and Metroid aren't big hitters? Interesting. Gen 8 Pokemon is a 2019 game. Bayonetta, Retro's game, Yoshi, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin etc - I've no idea how you think they have a lack of games coming. Not everything can be as big and iconic as Mario, Zelda or Mario Kart.

And using the same tired third party argument, really? When was the last time a console of theirs had Red Dead Redemption type games?

Nintendo had an amazing 2017, a quiet 2018 (Smash apart) and look to have a brilliant 2019. I totally get people being disappointed with this year's line-up, it's allowed me to dust off my PS4 and play some other stuff in the mean time, but you can't argue they don't have games coming next year. And that's just stuff we know about.

7 hours ago, Grazza said:

Wow, I thought it was just me!  Now I'm not going to pretend this is the reason I'm burnt out, personally, but I do very much agree.  Whilst I very much enjoyed Mario Odyssey and Octopath Traveler, the post-game of neither could hold my attention, and despite being initially impressed with Breath of the Wild, I agree with your verdict.  @Ike's suggestion of Ys VIII is a good one, as I feel it's been quite an overlooked "major" game, but I must admit my attention is slipping 50+ hours in.  One I did love was Dragon Quest Builders, but it took all my focus to complete.

Regarding the whole "open world" subject, with rising development costs, I find it surprising that software teams are giving themselves lots more work by making their games so huge.  What we're missing is the well-crafted, tightly-focused 1- or 2-week experience like Wind Waker, Metroid Prime or Mario Sunshine.  I don't want games to be a completely linear thrill ride, but nor do I want them to be loose and unfocused.

See, that's the thing, there's a little secret to that... Believe it or not, but open world games are actually generally much easier to make than crafted, traditionally designed games like Metroid Prime and Wind Waker.  You don't need quality, meticulously crafted level and game design when your game's main selling point is a systems driven sandbox that takes place in a big field of nothing.  Sure, it still takes a lot of effort to make all those art assets, but it's actually cheaper to make a game like that in HD; that was one of the big reasons why Nintendo moved away from the traditional style of Zelda with BOTW; they actually admitted this in their GDC talk, where they said that it would be too expensive to reasonably make another traditional 3D Zelda game in HD and that they had to change the way that they make games to continue making Zelda games, to something that didn't require handcrafted environments.

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

I do think there is something a little unhealthy with Nintendo though, specifically - like you say, those "big hitters" came out (Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Xenoblade), but then they're kind of done for that system, first party wise. They have Smash and Metroid Prime as other "big" games but the latter is a long way off. I wonder if third parties can provide more big exclusives for Nintendo or if it'll mostly be much smaller Nintendo titles (or alternative style games like Animal Crossing) from now on.

Luigi's Mansion 2 sold over 6 million copies, LM3 is not a "small hitter" at all.  Same goes for Fire Emblem: Three Houses.  FE Fates sold roughly 3 million copies and Three Houses is going to top that easily on Switch.  Both are much bigger hitters than Metroid Prime 4 in fact!

And neither game is low budget either, if anything, I would bet on them having a much larger budget than MP4.

Pokemon Gen 8 is also going to be massive (and Pokemon games ARE big budget titles, even if the visuals don't usually reflect that.  The sheer amount of staff they have working on them is insane! Think about the sheer amount of Pokemon that they have to model and animate for a second and you'll quickly realise just how mammoth a task it is to make a Pokemon game!) and then there are other critical darlings getting big budgets that will be at least as high as MP4, like Bayonetta 3.  Nintendo are far from done making "big" games, that idea is just silly.

No, these games just take time to make.  Big HD games take a lot of time and manpower to make, that's why 2018 has ended up being a bit of a breather year in general for Nintendo, despite almost all of Nintendo's internal development being moved onto a single platform.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Exactly, and by the time they're done with next year's titles, it'll be about nearly time for another Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart etc. as well

39 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

No, these games just take time to make.  Big HD games take a lot of time and manpower to make, that's why 2018 has ended up being a bit of a breather year in general for Nintendo, despite almost all of Nintendo's internal development being moved onto a single platform.

Also, just because all their big teams are now only working on a single platform doesn't mean the output should be doubled. 1080p Switch games are a lot harder to develop than 3DS games after all so it doesn't really work like that.

Luigi's Mansion 2 sold over 6 million copies, LM3 is not a "small hitter" at all.  Same goes for Fire Emblem: Three Houses.  FE Fates sold roughly 3 million copies and Three Houses is going to top that easily on Switch.  Both are much bigger hitters than Metroid Prime 4 in fact!   And neither game is low budget either, if anything, I would bet on them having a much larger budget than MP4.   Pokemon Gen 8 is also going to be massive (and Pokemon games ARE big budget titles, even if the visuals don't usually reflect that.  The sheer amount of staff they have working on them is insane! Think about the sheer amount of Pokemon that they have to model and animate for a second and you'll quickly realise just how mammoth a task it is to make a Pokemon game!) and then there are other critical darlings getting big budgets that will be at least as high as MP4, like Bayonetta 3.  Nintendo are far from done making "big" games, that idea is just silly.   No, these games just take time to make.  Big HD games take a lot of time and manpower to make, that's why 2018 has ended up being a bit of a breather year in general for Nintendo, despite almost all of Nintendo's internal development being moved onto a single platform.           

I realise I'm creating my own definition here but seeing as it was me registering concern about the kinds of games already released...by "big hitter" I wasn't just referring to games that sell well. I also think Nintendo games often have high attach rates in part due to the nature of the console - if you buy their console for whatever reason, you almost certainly must like Nintendo games.   

My opinion of course but what I was really getting at was big scope games, not your biennial Kirby romp. Games with big potential, often system sellers that may try new things (but not necessarily always), rather than treading very familiar old ground like I saw with LM2, Fire Emblem, Pokémon, and Pikmin 3, or any of the NSMB games (although I did enjoy Pikmin 3). I believe there is a big, observable difference between games like Mario 64, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Smash Melee, Splatoon, Metroid Prime, and the games I previously mentioned. Even sequels to these games interest me for the most part (except maybe Smash), as I'd say there's still life and ideas there and the games are of great scope and quality. Games like Metroid Prime might not do as big numbers but they are big games that push the boundaries of the console, and I've no doubt they generate more excitement and do more for the Switch in the long run. I think generally these sorts of games are those that are just better games than the middleware titles Nintendo also push out, and you can tell they are big games with hype to match. They're the games I get excited about and the games that sold the Switch to me. They're the games that make me want to come back to the Switch.

Obviously opinion, but that's more or less why I feel like there's not as much left for me that I want that's confirmed to be coming. I have played countless Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Animal Crossing and NSMB games over many generations, and I feel these games mostly retread the same ground, and churn the same formulas. Pokémon is for sure one of Nintendo's big hitters, possibly its biggest, but I must confess that I struggle to see how anyone maintains an interest in these games anymore on account of them being some of the most ridiculously conservative and recycled games going. I also played LM2 and found it genuinely boring, and more or less a middleware game. I'd be going through the motions if I carried on buying these games.

Of course if they do something impressive with these series like BoTW did as a shakeup to the Zelda series then I'll go back on my words, but somehow I don't see that happening. Or if those torally new games turn out to be big and exciting critically acclaimed games that's also potentially something.

And Ronnie if you disagree with this that's totally fine, we all have our opinions on what we look forward to, but citing your list of upcoming games that you always seem to have on standby is not going to change my mind. I acknowledge there are games coming but I do see Nintendo as having played most of its big guns already, aside from a few games that will probably be released very far apart.

Also:

Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, 2D Mario and Metroid aren't big hitters? Interesting.
 There is literally no need to be crass and sarcastic like this when discussing topics with people.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

There is literally no need to be crass and sarcastic like this when discussing topics with people.

Equally there was no need for you to be confrontational about that one word. You had already addressed it as satisfactorily as could be asked, sure people can be out of line from time to time, but throwing fuel on the fire isn't generally the wisest redress. Frankly you should have learnt this several decades ago Sheikah And yes I see 100% the irony of this post, but I'm just tired of people being so proud and childish that they just can't seem to apply real life social etiquette online. You're not Ronnie's parent, you're not his boss, you are on an equal footing as him. You actually post a lot of good stuff (both you and Ronnie) and I hate that I have often felt the need to put both of you (as well as others) on my ignore list just to make this place bearable. Please (@Ronnie too) can at least one of you behave like an adult.

• Like 2

Equally there was no need for you to be confrontational about that one word. You had already addressed it as satisfactorily as could be asked, sure people can be out of line from time to time, but throwing fuel on the fire isn't generally the wisest redress. Frankly you should have learnt this several decades ago Sheikah And yes I see 100% the irony of this post, but I'm just tired of people being so proud and childish that they just can't seem to apply real life social etiquette online. You're not Ronnie's parent, you're not his boss, you are on an equal footing as him. You actually post a lot of good stuff (both you and Ronnie) and I hate that I have often felt the need to put both of you (as well as others) on my ignore list just to make this place bearable. Please (@Ronnie too) can at least one of you behave like an adult.

I have been more than civil here, with some genuine (detailed) chat about games, and I can't say I agree with your stance.

I like to discuss games here but at the same time it sucks that people have to be disrespectful and unnecessary in their responses. I think by just letting it continuously happen without acknowledging it, that is probably more harmful in the long run.

This right here is why no one posts here anymore. There is far too much one-upping, point scoring and needless inflammatory comments. It's toxic.

It gets to the point where people ignore it for as long as they can, but eventually bite and it all erupts. 

I'm not saying what Sheikah said was the right thing to do, but I imagine he is fed up of Ronnie's impressive ability to rub people the wrong way. It's more likely a reaction to several posts Sheikah has seen and ignored, rather than just the post quoted.

I don't want this to turn into people piling on Ronnie, I just mention him because of this specific example. He's not the first controversial person to be on this forum and I doubt he'll be the last. Nor is he the only current members to add to these "heated discussions".

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Come on guys, lets just drop it. Far more important things in life.

@Mr-Paul What kind of games are you in to mate, might be able to recommend you something.

I'm in totally the same position by the way. I'm a professional with a social life now so I have to be a bit more choosy with my time. I barely play any 'mainstream' games now, as I feel the top level of the industry has gone incredibly stale (not even bothered about Red Dead 2). But the indie scene is brilliant, and the switch is the perfect console for them. Tell us what you like and maybe I can recommend something - I'd consider it a victory if we can find something which reignites your passion for games.

• Thanks 3

I am kind of the opposite. I really only tend to buy the blockbuster style, headline games that come out every two to three months. None of the indie games interest me really. I wish it could be the other way around, it would be easier on my wallet..

2 minutes ago, bob said:

I am kind of the opposite. I really only tend to buy the blockbuster style, headline games that come out every two to three months. None of the indie games interest me really. I wish it could be the other way around, it would be easier on my wallet..

What have you been playing, if you don't mind me asking? 

What have you been playing, if you don't mind me asking? 
Over the past year I've played Mario Odyssey, Horizon, Titanfall 2, SOTC, LA Noire and Spider-Man. Oh and Pokémon Quest.

I intend to buy Just Cause 4, Smash and perhaps RDR2 somewhere down the line.

3 minutes ago, bob said:

Over the past year I've played Mario Odyssey, Horizon, Titanfall 2, SOTC, LA Noire and Spider-Man. Oh and Pokémon Quest.

I intend to buy Just Cause 4, Smash and perhaps RDR2 somewhere down the line.

Where does SOTC rank among them for you? Was it your first time playing it?

I loved the look of the world in Horizon, but the gameplay looked a bit generic (along the 3rd person action/ubisoft style), and I feared I would get a little bored. Am I being unfair to it?

Where does SOTC rank among them for you? Was it your first time playing it?
I loved the look of the world in Horizon, but the gameplay looked a bit generic (along the 3rd person action/ubisoft style), and I feared I would get a little bored. Am I being unfair to it?

SOTC was pretty good. I had some issues with the gameplay (mostly horse related) but you can't fault the presentation and sound. Not one of my favourite games, but I defo enjoyed it.

I don't think the gameplay in Horizon is generic at all, certainly compared to the standard Ubisoft formula. It felt very fresh and different to anything I'd ever played before. I really liked it. The only boring sections IMO were when you had to fight any human enemies. I bought this game to fight robot dinosaurs damnit!
  • Haha 2

Good to know, thanks. 

I was trying to figure out whether I should splash for the PS4 the other day with Red Dead coming out, and counted on my hands what else I would get on it. Bloodborne, and Horizon (after your recommendation), but couldn't think of anything else. Maybe an arcade driving game and Hitman. That's about it. I figured with Smash coming out I wouldn't bother, got enough to play.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Come on guys, lets just drop it. Far more important things in life.

This is the problem. We always just ignore it and pretend everything is fine and nothing gets solved. The same members will just carry on riling people up, causing more issues. It's fucking draining.

Anyway, still haven't had much time to play RDR and there's not many other games I'm excited by apart from Cyberpunk. Maybe I've just grown out of gaming?

Sign in to follow this