NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Nintendo (re)Direct(ed) (13/09 11pm UK)

content-4-35622-nintendodirect09132018roundupbanner.jpg

N-Europe's roundup of the latest Nintendo Direct. :D

Thanks to both @Ashley and @Mr-Paul for providing the press release. :)

:peace:

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Love the new Direct format, tons of games shown off with no time wasting!

That was the old format, before the E3 Smash Direct.. :blank:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2019 so far:

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
Yoshi's Crafted World
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing

Throw in a Metroid and Starfox Grand Prix and that'll do quite nicely, first party wise.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

2019 so far:

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
Yoshi's Crafted World
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing

Throw in a Metroid and Starfox Grand Prix and that'll do quite nicely, first party wise.

Bayonetta 3 is more likely to make it for 2019 than Metroid Prime 4 I reckon.

(Truth be told, I don't think either of them are hitting until 2020 though).  There will be plenty more still to come though (Pikmin 3 & 4 anyone?)

A fantastic direct! One of the best that has ever been shown. So much to look forward to.

• Like 3

Pretty meh Direct for me personally. A lot of the stuff that was shown was teased by various leakers or people with inside knowledge. Skylines has been hinted at for a while now by Peer, the Katamari rating was found last week, with the Switch version heavily hinted at a few hours before the Direct, Animal Crossing was teased by Eurogamer and King Zell and the guy over at Resetera/GameXplain hinted at Final Fantasy VII arriving. Basically, if you visit Resetera on a regular basis most of this was already out there, which is a shame.

The issue I had with the Direct is that the Switch isn't my main console. I have no real need for the off TV play feature so exclusives have to carry the system for me. Stuff like all of the Final Fantasy games are a big deal for those who don't game on other systems but I own all of them already on my PS4/Vita and the ones that have yet to be released ( Chocobo Dungeon and the new edition of World of Final Fantasy) I will more than likely buy for that console. 

The biggest announcement for me is the Capcom Beat-Em Up bundle but once again this is available on the other consoles, where I will be able to play with my friends online without the need for a phone app to communicate with them. I am pleased this is at least coming, though. No word of a lie, I was looking at Capcom Collection volume 2 for the PS2 the other week on eBay as I was wanting to play Captain Commando again. I haven't played it since I was a kid playing it in the arcades at Blackpool while I was on holiday.

The online portion of the Direct was a disappointment. I was secretly hoping they would at least give us some kind of system wide messaging but apparently that is too much to ask. I was also expecting to hear what games would be supported by the app but it was just a quick look at didn't really go into plans for any games that are already out. Also, the fact that they couldn't even tell us about the special offers, despite the system launching so soon, was a bit laughable. 

I was happy with the announcement of Luigi's Mansion 3, as well as the confirmation of NSMB finally heading to Switch. It's just a shame that NSMB wasn't ready for launch this year. :( 

I can see why many are happy with the Direct but it left me pretty disappointed. 

• Thanks 1

Personally the only thing new that really interested me was Katamari, but that's just me. I think I'll pick up Mario Party and maybe Yoshi depending on how that shakes out.my I'veed a few times but never gelled with Animal Crossing, but I'm happy for those that have been waiting so long for it. 

I hope those NES controllers aren't as dammed uncomfortable as the original ones were.  

Oh and I've only seen images on Twitter (not watched the video yet) but that NES game menu is fugly as hell.

Didn't see anything that I'm likely to buy. Maybe Animal Crossing if I think I'll be able to put enough time into it when the time comes.

Direct was decent enough.  The Animal Crossing at the end though, that did it for me.  Not a huge fan of Final Fantasy, but that was just one after the other.  Pure wallet attack for those who love the series.

Watched the video now.

"Tried and true" is such a cute way of saying "yes, this again".

Having watched the video I can definitely say the NES game menu is one of the ugliest things I've seen in modern UI.

I was sceptical about the voice chat through an app thing but its nice to know that it gives your phone levitation powers.

Seeing the Smash Switch it makes me realise it is a shame they didn't design the dock to allow you to put on fascias similar to the PS4. 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Wow, tough crowd

Varied crowd ;)

I'm not personally saying it was a bad direct as it covered a lot of ground in a short time, there was just little in there that appealed to me.

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Varied crowd ;)

I'm not personally saying it was a bad direct as it covered a lot of ground in a short time, there was just little in there that appealed to me.

It definitively wasn't a bad Direct. You don't announce a new Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing in the same half hour and have it be bad.

What games would have done it for you?

Just now, Ronnie said:

It definitively wasn't a bad Direct. You don't announce a new Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing in the same half hour and have it be bad.

What games would have done it for you?

I don't approach Directs as "this is a list of things I want to see for it to be good".  With particular reference to the games you mentioned, I fall off of AC pretty quickly so I won't be getting it and LM is fun, but it's not something I get excited about. I might pick it up, I might not, so it's not going to wow me at a personal level (at a "this is good for others" level sure).

If anything we all know what games Nintendo will release on the Switch over its lifespan so really Directs become a bingo game with an increasingly stamped card. It's a fun meta game in itself, but I'm not sat there waiting for a particular number to be called. I've seen enough people bitterly disappointed because of something they had hoped for didn't come up.

Katamari was a nice surprise as I loved the original. Psyched for that. In fact that was probably my highlight of the direct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So-so Direct for me. Disappointed that the MK8 DLC rumour didn't pan out, but at least Nintendo are attempting to sort out Mario Tennis Aces, which let's face it, is in much greater need of additional content anyway. New stuff in Splatoon 2 is also nice. And I have to say (even though I have no intention of buying it again) the 3DS version of Kirby's Epic Yarn looks absolutely incredible! :o Anyone that missed out on the Wii version is in for a right treat with that one. ;)

The Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle looks cool too (love Final Fight :love:) but wish it included Alien vs. Predator. It's on the Watch List, for now...

Will definitely be checking out Katamari when that arrives, looks very much like my cup of tea. :hehe:

And of course I'm very happy about the "reveal" of Animal Crossing for Switch, even if it was done in a somewhat annoying and underwhelming manner. :heh: Just glad to know it's definitely on the way.

Still not entirely convinced about the Switch online service, but will be subscribing regardless (at least for 1 year) as I need my MK8, Splatoon, Monster Hunter (and soon, Smash Bros.) online fix. :D Actually, I am quite looking forward to trying some of those NES games online as well, especially Balloon Fight. :)

6 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Will definitely be checking out Katamari when that arrives, looks very much like my cup of tea. :hehe:

For sure.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Isn't it a bit weird to complain that the Direct here didn't show much new stuff because you've read about all the leaks? Feels to me like complaining about a book not being surprising enough after having read a summary of the story.

I liked the Direct. Even though some stuff had been announced or leaked, it still felt good to see what is coming. Along with the two indie showcases, this autumn is truly packed with games - at least when you don't play other consoles. I see that having Switch as a secondary console may put a damper on the gaming party but I don't think a lot of the people having it as secondary console have played all the games that are coming out.

I don't care about Animal Crossing but Luigi's Mansion 3 is nice. Super Mario Party looks fun, NSMBUDeluxed is not for me (I have it on Wii U and an easy mode is not fun), Yoshi looked cute and better than Woolly World, I could see myself playing FFVII (never played an FF-game before), and maybe even Diablo III.

Isabelle in Smash is weird, though. Who wanted her? I just thought she would be an Echo Fighter to Villager but no.. it doesn't seem like it.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Isn't it a bit weird to complain that the Direct here didn't show much new stuff because you've read about all the leaks? Feels to me like complaining about a book not being surprising enough after having read a summary of the story.

This x a million. I don't get it either.

40 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I'm going to assume this is aimed at me as I think i'm the only one who mentioned the leaks. 

Even if the leaks didn't happen, I still would have bit a bit underwhelmed. It just highlights that Nintendo don't run a tight a ship as they used to. The fact that the actual date of the Direct was leaked twice, as well as a lot of the games ( not all of them ), shows that it's getting harder and harder to keep people quiet about what they will show. Unless you avoid places like Era, which I don't intend to do as I enjoy getting my gaming news from there and having gaming conversations, then something will always be let out of the bag.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

If I remember correctly, the first Katamari was never released in the UK. We actually only got its sequel, We Love Katamari on PS2. So I think this is the first time we get to play the first one.

I absolutely loved the sequel though, as well as its soundtrack. I'll certainly be buying Reroll when its out

Luigi's Mansion 3 was a really nice surprise! and good to finally have Animal Crossing confirmed. I really didn't know how popular Isabelle was, sure she's in Mario Kart but would never have guessed her being added to Smash as a fighter. How can you fight something that cute!?

Splatoon 2 update. :yay:

Town from Game Freak looked cool I'm interested and hope that Pokémon 2019 game looks as good.

The Nintendo Online segment was basically things we already knew about, I was hoping for a few surprises but nope we're still stuck with that dumb phone app. As for the NES games I've not played most of them so I'm good with that but when are the SNES games coming?:bouncy: 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The fact that the actual date of the Direct was leaked twice

On this point, I wish they'd give more than 48 hours notice.  It's not really practical from my POV for the site, especially when they're at silly o'clock (I'm old).

• Thanks 1

I know we don't have many mechanisms to measure reception (at least not without doing cross-reference checking of other social media platforms) but I wouldn't really put much weight in youtube thumbs up/down.  Not that I'm saying I think E3 was received better, it's just not a great metric. 

Now THIS would have been an exciting Direct.

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Sign in to follow this