NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The Dark Pictures Anthology — from the developers of Until Dawn

From Supermassive Games, the developers of Until Dawn, enter the world of The Dark Pictures - A series of standalone cinematic horror games. Players will be challenged to explore and uncover each story with the knowledge that all their choices have consequences and all playable characters can live, any and all can die...

Man-Medan-Ann_08-21-18.jpg

Man of Medan is the first game in The Dark Pictures anthology, bringing supernatural horror to the South Pacific. Five friends set sail on a holiday diving trip with a rumored WWII wreck to find. As the day unfolds and a storm rolls in, their trip soon changes into something much more sinister. Who will live? Who will die? It’s down to you. Can you save them all? Man of Medan releases in 2019.

Edited by Julius Caesar

I loved Until Dawn, so I'm already interested. It does look a little odd in places, though. I think it's the facial animations? They don't look as refined as they could be, but I'm hopeful that it'll get cleaned up. In this sort of game where there are quite a few cut scenes, you don't want to be gawking at plastic-looking people.

Excited, though. Played Until Dawn again recently and loved it even more the second time around. :D 

Oh my goodness. All those horror games. It's like developers these days are only making games for me. :) 

:shakehead

I finished a first play through of this on Friday night. 

Very disappointing. 

Until Dawn remains one of my favourite experiences this gen. I know it wasn't perfect, but I loved the throwback to the 90's horror films and the story was gripping from the minute it started. To me, at least. 

This? Well it couldn't be further from it. It was very short (which isn't necessarily a negative given that it's only £25 new), but the abrupt way it ends is pretty crap. I sat there thinking I was around half way through and that was the end. 

The controls, whilst just as clunky as UD, feel even more so due to the cramped nature of the setting of tight corridors of the ship etc. It's also ridiculously dark - to the point where I had to play it at night as I couldn't see anything in the day, even with the curtains shut!

I didn't get invested in any of the characters in this game either. In UD, there were a few I really tried to keep alive, but in this game they all could have been slaughtered and I would not have cared. I mean, they all were but one sooo. 

Pacing of the game was totally off. But I'm going to stop now as I'm typing too much for a game I didn't think much of.

The final annoyance was the inclusion of online trophies this time. I normally would do a few play throughs to get the different endings and scenarios, but not sure I can be bothered. 

Edited by Aneres11

Sign in to follow this