NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Grandia & Grandia II HD remasters heading to Switch

Venerable Japanese RPG series Grandia is coming to Switch this winter. According to a statement by publisher GungHo, Grandia and Grandia II

HD Remaster are both heading to Nintendo’s hybrid handheld.

In addition to the Switch release, Grandia HD Remaster will also be coming to Steam, joining Grandia II – which is already for sale on the service. A demo of Grandia II HD Remaster will be playable at PAX West 2018.

HELL YEAH!!!

3-1534789535966.jpg

4-1534789535966.jpg

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Oh wow! That came out of nowhere!!

Dat unprecedented partnership with Gungho paying dividends I see!

Grandia is fantastic! Easily one of the very best JPRGs of the 32bit era! Chuffed to bits to see it get the HD treatment! (And on Switch no less!).

Do wonder if it'll still have the same localisation as it did originally or if it's being redone...

Only thing I've seen of Grandia was when EZA did that Dreamcast demo disc stream and I thought it looked great so it's nice to see it get released on a modern system.

Man I love Grandia! Just wish Grandia 3 had been localised over here (maybe there’s hope if this does well? Probably not)

BRILLIANT!  I've always wanted to play these!  I actually had the chance to play one of them (whichever one was on a Sega console - I forget), but was going through a weird, teenage phase where I didn't want to invest time in RPGs.  Hopefully I can put that right.

• Like 1

Have fond memories of Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast, so will most likely pick these up

I require screenshots of that Grandia HD. I loved the game back in the day, the story and the characters were so lovely. But those sprites would make my eyes bleed today.

content-4-35814-grandiahdcollectionbanner.jpg

Grandia HD Collection is coming to the Switch! :D

No trailer yet, more details to follow during E3 2019.

Check out the details in the article.

I'm really happy for this announcement, as this will be the first time playing these RPG classics. :peace:

(time to bump this thread then, I completely forgot that these were coming out, but hey, at least we know we'll be getting more info soon now)

• Like 1

I got a good chunk of the way through Grandia II on the Dreamcast a couple of years ago but moving house halted my progress and I've never found an opportunity to go back.

I'm not really sure how much I was actually into it but I did enjoy the battle system and may consider the Switch version as an opportunity to go back and finish the game :smile:

• Thanks 1

Here are a few new details about the games.

-"Let me get it out of the way first, when I asked Mr. Miniagawa when we could expect to purchase Grandia HD on eShop or Steam, "Very Soon" was his immediate answer. He could not provide a hard release date, and he explained that GungHo is still in discussions with Nintendo in terms of release timing."

-"I also asked if there were any plans for a physical/retail release on Nintendo Switch. "Not at all" was Mr. Minagawa's response."

-"Not everything will be enhanced, however as audio quality will be the same as the PSX version. Also, while Grandia II got a new Hard Mode in its re-release in 2015, no such new additions will be made to the original Grandia."

-"Despite some previous reports last year saying that both the Saturn and PlayStation version source code would be used in this remaster, Mr. Minagawa stated to me plainly that the code base used is the original PlayStation version."

Boooooo for the lack of a physical version and for also using the PlayStation version as a base for this port. :( 

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Here are a few new details about the games.

Boooooo for the lack of a physical version and for also using the PlayStation version as a base for this port. :( 

Well... that's a missed opportunity. :(

I'm still happy that the games are coming to the Switch but a physical release would have been nice.

And it's not even the type of game that's likely to be picked up by Limited Run games either I don't think, so that's a definite for no physical version on this one.

I can't believe how much the camera jumps around.  I actually feel quite unstable watching it!

So it's based on the inferior PS1 version and not the original Saturn version? (The 2D battle background is a dead giveaway), and they gave all the sprites that typical ugly emulation filter?

Very disappointing.

At least it still has the original voice acting; I have a soft spot for it, so I'm glad they manage to wrangle the rights from Sony for it.

Otherwise, it looks like a basic port of the PS1 version, reformatted to run in widescreen and with a high-res HUD.

Sign in to follow this