NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

August N-E Game Club: Wario Land 4

wario-land-4.jpg

Wario Land 4 is the fourth installment in the series starring Mario's original arch-nemesis Wario on his quest for further riches and Princess Shokora's - who was cursed by the Golden Diva - rescue. Originally released in PAL regions back in 2001 it has been received very well, currently sitting at an 88 over at metacritic. Spectacular graphics, great level design and a sizeable amount of replayability (taken from the IGN review; plagiarism at its best; copyrighted by drahkon - Michael Scott) make this a must have for any GameBoy Advance fan.

It's the perfect starting point to what is hopefully a long lasting series of Game Club threads. A relatively short and very charming platformer that can be played inbetween larger games or, as @Hero-of-Time will probably do, be finished in a day. 

For this I suggest a playtime of two weeks or rather until the end of August. Depending on how quick we are, a new vote could also be started earlier. 

Without further ado, get your gaming on!

I made pasta with Bolognese sauce, by the way. Delicious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hell yeah! Time to revisit an old classic.

759.gif

I personally plan on playing this on Hard Mode, but unfortunately, I'll only be able to start some time during next week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmm.. I haven't really liked what little I e played of this in the past!

Maybe it's time to try again..

First game I bought for the GBA, along with my GBA itself. I drove to Germany to get the combo, as Mediamarkt was not a thing yet here in the Netherlands and the thing was quite a bit cheaper there. So I may join in on this one, haven't played it in ages!

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Like 1

Well, that was fun.

Spoiler

DkqxaE3X4AEjhCu.jpg

DkqxaE4X4AUFdKH.jpg

DkqxaE4XcAAOP3J.jpg

DkqxaGUWwAAXz8X.jpg

Dkq1-M1X4AAJS0a.jpg

Dkq4w2BX4AE1ZY7.jpg

Spoiler

Dkq1-M-X0AAt2DK.jpg

Dkq1-NDW4AAnksP.jpg

Dkq4w1xX4AENR0h.jpg

Dkq4w15X4A02QqE.jpg

Same time next month, lads? :p 

*gets back to playing Chrono Trigger*

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Jesus Christ...you're a madman.

I only managed to reach one boss yesterday then I headed out to do some work. :D 

Started with the Emerald Passage. Level design is spot-on. I didn't mind the time limit set upon you once you hit the switch as much this time around. Hopefully it stays that way.
Audio-visually Wario Land 4 is quite impressive for a GBA game. Lots of details and easy on the eyes. Love it.

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Jesus Christ...you're a madman.

I only managed to reach one boss yesterday then I headed out to do some work. :D 

Started with the Emerald Passage. Level design is spot-on. I didn't mind the time limit set upon you once you hit the switch as much this time around. Hopefully it stays that way.
Audio-visually Wario Land 4 is quite impressive for a GBA game. Lots of details and easy on the eyes. Love it.

I got in from work around 4ish and cracked straight on with it. :D 

I love how big the sprites are, especially the bosses. I suppose it makes sense given the screen size of the GBA. I think the time limit they give you is very generous. Not once did I find myself struggling to make it back in time. 

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I got in from work around 4ish and cracked straight on with it. :D 

I love how big the sprites are, especially the bosses. I suppose it makes sense given the screen size of the GBA. I think the time limit they give you is very generous. Not once did I find myself struggling to make it back in time. 

I'm not even surprised anymore. I've only just caught up with the thread and will get started tonight.

I really like the difficulty options in Wario Land 4. They make a huge difference with enemy placements, treasure locations and stricter time limits.

I'm gonna stick with normal though.

I finished Severed on 3DS on Wednesday night and have finally dipped my the into Wario Ware Gold.. though, perhaps against my better judgement, I've decided to maybe give Wario Land 4 a proper go and have resumed a save file very early on in the game.. :blank:

• Thanks 1

Make sure to checkout the sound room, I though it had a pretty cool feature.

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

Cractus is a pain.

I found Aerodent to be the worst. Stupid rat kept hiding inside the teddy before I could get a hit.

Yeah bit late. But I ordered a cartridge only for 15 euros (plus shipping, and.. transaction costs? Really? Who does that shit?). For double the price I could have had a box, which I generally prefer, but I didn't want to spend that much on 2nd hand games right now. Obviously I'm not going to make an habit out of this. Expecting it tuesday.

I did check if my old GBA was fully operational (in other words I had to find my AC adapter for it). I'm going for the authentic and classic experience. I mean, My Micro is better, but it's a fun excuse to give my first GBA some love again. Just need to make sure I'm playing directly under a light. :rolleyes:

I tested my GBA with Drill Dozer by the way, if you need suggestions for the next one.

Hey there, I know I'm late to the party here and didn't really have the time to chime in on the game selection, but I just wanted to say that you guys made an EXCELLENT! choice of first game!  It's definitely one of the GBA's very best and one of the best platformers out there, period!

I actually played through WL4 again not too long ago (like, 9-12 months ago or so) and had a blast! I won't be able to join in again this time, but I'll certainly be up for joining in another time! :peace:

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I found Aerodent to be the worst. Stupid rat kept hiding inside the teddy before I could get a hit.

Aerodent is, indeed, annoying. I've ran out of time 3 times now after being so close each time.

Those fireballs that fall really aren't helping :angry:

On 8/15/2018 at 10:18 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Well, that was fun.

Same time next month, lads? :p 

With the speed and proficiency you beat games, you'd probably be able to earn a fortune streaming your game play online!

• Haha 1

I beat Aerodent and played another couple of stages. I must be about half way through now but I'm just not feeling the love :hmm

Finished Emerald Passage with Gold Crowns on everything so far.

Cractus took me 20 seconds. Yes, I used Black Dragon, I didn't get those 56 mini game medals just for laughs.
Speaking of, what's everyone's high score for Wario Hop? Mine's 156.

The soundtrack is so insanely chill for the most part, which isn't much like the Game Boy Wario Lands at all.

22 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I did check if my old GBA was fully operational (in other words I had to find my AC adapter for it). I'm going for the authentic and classic experience. I mean, My Micro is better, but it's a fun excuse to give my first GBA some love again. Just need to make sure I'm playing directly under a light. :rolleyes:

Holy crap, you have a Micro? I'm no collector, but that thing is just so charming, I would love to get my hands on one someday. Epic!

Anyway, fired up my trusty DS Lite with Warioland 4 in the slot. It had two save games, a completed Hard mode and a just started Super Hard mode. Didn't even remember there to be a super hard mode! 

Wiped the Hard mode and started a new game on Normal, as I'm not feeling to well and wanted to play a bit casually. It's great playing this game again; there is so much I have forgotten about it and lovely to see your memory and fondness of it return! I've finished the Emerald and Ruby passages, so onwards to the next.

Had the opportunity to play this a bunch already. Beat Emerald, Ruby, and am currently in the middle of Topaz. The game definitely feels harder than what I remembered, and checking my previous save file, I can see there are way more enemies, and that diamond chests are in different places. That explains a lot.

My feelings towards this game are weird. As a stand-alone game, it's great. But I can't help but compare it to the previous Wario Land games, and it feels so wrong from that perspective. Things like how Wario controls, his health, the enemy power-ups, etc. are all wildly different.

Ruby Passage down. Cuckoo Condor was a breeze to take down.

Wario's sound bytes sound like they were reused in WarioWare.

I've just reached what I assume is the final boss (Golden Diva) so I should finish it after I come home from work tonight :smile:

That ending screen taken out of context tells you absolutely nothing about Wario Land 4!

I'm just before Golden Diva with every CD collected. I also got all 18 gold crowns which subsequently unlocked the 17th CD.

Will give impressions later on once I rob her of all her stuff.

Sign in to follow this