NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

N-Europe Video Game Club

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me:

Disclaimer: I haven't played Doom 3 in about a decade. This is all from memory.

So, Doom 3. I first heard of it in 2002 in a magazine. Looked gorgeous, couldn't believe that lighting. I would eventually play it on the PC in 2010 (maybe 2011, it's been a while). A cousin recommended it to me, so i tried it out.

For the first third of the game or so, I was having a decent time. There's a good buildup towards the demons' appearance, and when they do, everything goes to hell. It was a strong start to the game.

I would soon learn that this Doom wasn't about mowing down hordes of enemies, this Doom was going for a horror vibe. Taking advantage of its detailed lighting, monsters were well hidden in dark corners, and they jumped on you when you got close. Furthermore, there were occasional set pieces meant to unsettle you, as well as audio logs scattered throughout the environment with information about what these corpses were doing up until their death, along with some important info, like codes for doors and safes (if you ever played System Shock 2, you know what I'm on about).

And that was pretty much the bulk of the game. Reach a new area, check the dark corners, waste the strict amount of bullets necessary to kill the enemies, then flip switches/gather keycards/hear audio logs required to advance. It wasn't as repetitive as Halo, mind (I can actually tell layouts and environments apart, for example), but it got stretched out waaay longer than it needed to be.

The plot is nothing special, because you know exactly what happens. In a way, this dampens the horror vibe, because it's not mysterious at all. The audio logs do nothing to improve it, because they only come in two flavours ("I'm scared! What's happening? The code you need is 123" or "The guy who runs this place is mighty suspicious. He might be evil. The code you need is 321") and It gets repetitive. In SS2, they give you a feel for what the place was before the disaster, and the lore is intriguing because it's not made clear exactly how things got this bad (even when you know the main twist in that game, it's still unclear how it all fits together), but in Doom 3, all you get is boring descriptions of grunt work and a bunch of captains obvious (re)stating what you knew from the start.

I don't particularly remember any weapon, but that might have to do with my general disinterest in shooters. What I do remember was that my strategy for luring and killing those who slither in the dark also became repetitive, even after the stronger enemies started to show up.

The funny thing is, they finally do something different for the last couple of hours of the game...

Spoiler

...because that's when the game suddenly decides to turn into proper Doom. Now you fight hordes of monsters, now you gotta do some running and marathoning, now you gotta rip and tear (ok, no, but you can shoot a lot to your heart's content). There's even a final boss! Accompanied by an army of monsters! First boss in the game, too.

It's kind of antithetical to the rest of the game... but the game does properly build up towards this finale, even in gameplay (the stronger enemies are meant to prepare you for this), so I'll give it that.

Conclusion: Doom 3 took a different approach to the series, but is unfortunately bogged down by an excessively long - and eventually dull - midgame. It takes inspiration from an excellent game (System Shock 2), but it doesn't quite execute those ideas properly. A shame, because a fusion of genres had potential and could've worked if Id Software had worked with folk with more experience in the horror genre, but as it stands, it just feels like an underwhelming experience.

But at least it's not as bad as Halo 1 (the campaign from that game is utter trash, fight me)

EDIT: Oh wow, this had to be the page-topper, didn't it?

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks@Jonnas I’m about 4 hours into the game, so didn’t read your spoilers. Agree that the opening environmental story telling is well done. Will keep my thoughts for the podcast though.
Cheers.

We are scheduled to record our N-E Cafe PodPals episode, where we discuss Doom 3 in depth, this coming Sunday 5th of July.

This is a last shout-out to anyone who wants to share their thoughts on the game, new or old.  Any experience you've had with the game will be shared on the podcast, and generally talked about.

Thanks.

It's that time again.

Half-way through the month, which gives us plenty of time to rack up a list of games, and get everyone voting on their game of choice to play throughout August, and recorded in the N-E Cafe PodPals episode scheduled for the first Sunday of September.

So without delay, the games we included this time in no particular order, or discernible category, are:

1. Untitled Goose Game
  2. The Messenger
  3. Outlast
  4. Mutant Mudds
  5. Pilotwings (SNES)
  6. Turok

So get voting for a game that you'd want to play, and talk about, so we can share your thoughts on the first Podcast of September.  Good voting!

I'm going to vote for The Messenger because I've heard it's great, I've got the physical version and I'd really like to play it. :smile:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I've got the physical version

And you haven't played it, yet?

You are a madman :p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pilotwings SNES is top 10 games for me, an underrated classic. 

• Like 1

On one hand, I do own Mutand Mudds for Steam, could be a way to check that one off the list... on the other hand, I never properly played Pilotwings, and this could be an opportunity to force myself to give it a fair shake...

I'll vote Mutant Mudds. This vote might yet change before the deadline.

Mutant Mudds Collection and Outlast: Bundle of Terror are heavily discounted now on the eShop by the way. Would love to play Untitled Goose Game but that never seems to go on sale. 

So, it's time to start counting the votes.

1. Untitled Goose Game [0]
  2. The Messenger          [1]
  3. Outlast                        [0]
  4. Mutant Mudds             [1]
  5. Pilotwings (SNES)      [1]
  6. Turok                          [1]

Also, a quick note to say that we'll be announcing the winner on the podcast we record on August the 2nd, so you've got until the day before and then the voting ends.

So, @drahkon, @Vileplume2000 what preferences do you have?

I'll have a think and vote in the next couple of days myself.

I won't take part this month, so not sure if I should vote.

If you need a vote, I'd choose The Messenger without hesitation.

• Like 1

Right, had my think and it's going to be The Messenger for me.

Here's the voting as it stands currently.

1. Untitled Goose Game [0]
  2. The Messenger          [3]
  3. Outlast                        [0]
  4. Mutant Mudds             [1]
  5. Pilotwings (SNES)      [1]
  6. Turok                          [1]

3 hours ago, Londragon said:

Right, had my think and it's going to be The Messenger for me.

Here's the voting as it stands currently.

2. The Messenger          [3]

Not that it will need pushed over the edge but stick me down for The Messenger too :hehe:

Edited by nekunando

Unless there's some sort of late surge out of nowhere, The Messenger is looking a dead cert at the moment.

2. The Messenger          [4]

It's like to switch my vote to the Messenger then too.

• Like 1

So, that's it for another bi-monthly voting session, and with that it's clear to see that ....

2. The Messenger          [4]

The Messenger ... a winner is you!

I've anticipated the result being so, and have started the game a week ago to get ahead of the push to finish it before the end of August.

We'll be recording the PodPals (The Messenger) episode on the first Sunday in September, which happens to be the 6th.

And, we'll love it if you all would share your experiences of what makes the game great or downright annoying (if you're that way inclined), especially true of @drahkon who finished it a long time ago.  Would love to hear your thoughts on the game.

Thanks to all who participate.  Let's get gaming together!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ah, The Messenger.

One of the best game ever made.
Here's what I've written about it in the Gaming Diary Thread.

Also:

• Haha 2

Just finished wrapping up our 41st N-E Cafe Podcast and we all have 2 weeks left before we record the PodPals episode (43) focused on The Messenger.

So far, we have 5 different viewpoints about this game, being myself, Nick, Greg, HOT, and Drahkon.

Is anyone else interested in playing through The Messenger, in part or totality, you've probably got enough time left to do that, and share what they thought of it?  You'll get many mentions in the podcast in two weeks time.

Good gaming, all!

• Thanks 2

PodPals for Episode 50 - Sorry no voting for our 50th episode, but all that nostalgia will see us through.

We like to throw events out so that our community can participate in sharing their gaming experiences with us.  And, our N-E Cafe PodPals Programme does just that.

This time though we are looking forward to our 50th episode which will be recorded on the 25th of October.

This time we’ve chosen not to hold a voting session, but to choose the games ourselves.

As hosts we have chosen all the Mario games, with easy access so everybody has a chance of participating.  The 50th episode PodPals theme is Mario, seeing as it’s his 35th Anniversary and all.

That means we’re asking everyone in the community to play through any Mario game.  They are the 4 NES titles, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels.  The 4 SNES Super Mario All-Stars Counterparts, which released on the SNES Online App a few weeks back.  Or any of the 3D games, on any platform of your choosing.

We don’t expect anybody to play all games, but you're more than welcome to try if you want.

Whilst playing through the games, we would love for you to share your experience of it, by posting here or in the N-Europe Video Game Club Thread, N-E Cafe thread at the N-Europe forums, and we’ll share your very own personal journey with the games, and our critique on our special PodPals episode, and episode 50 of the N-E Cafe recorded on the 25th of October.  Do Mario's games still hold up?

You can play all these Mario games on any console or service you so desire.  From the Nintendo Switch Online NES and SNES Apps, the NES and SNES Mini, as a Virtual Console game (on Wii, Wii U, 3DS), or even on the original hardware.

We can’t wait to hear from you. Let’s get gaming together.

And that's not all, if you'd oblige us we have a Mario 35th Anniversary Questionnaire to get you memories flowing.  Answer as you wish, essays or one word answers, we'll take it all and include them in the podcast recorded on the 25th of October.

50th Mario Episode Questionnaire

1. Favourite 2D Mario Game

2. Least Favourite 2D Mario Game

3. Favourite 3D Mario Game

4. Least Favourite 3D Mario Game

5. Favourite Mario Spinoff title

6. Least Favourite Mario Spinoff title

7. Favourite Mario memory

8. Worst Mario memory

9. Funniest Mario memory

10. Favourite power-up

11. Favourite Mario character

12. Least Favourite Mario Character

13. Best Mini game in the Mario Universe

14. Worst Mini game in the Mario Universe

15. Any other Mario nostalgia you want to share?

• Thanks 2

I've kinda neglected this, but I do have a Mario game I played recently: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions. I have very fond memories of the original, so I wanted to write some words on it as well. I already did so on the Gaming Diary thread, so here goes:

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga was the game that kickstarted this little spinoff RPG series on handhelds. The developers at Alphadream (RIP) took inspiration from several aspects of Super Mario RPG (timed hits, silly self-aware writing, zany spins on traditional Mario enemies) and turned them all up to eleven, adding their own flair to the mix.

The result was a game that looked unique (the original characters look wild and new, while the usual Mario characters definitely had unique proportions there, compared to the main series), moved really fluidly, brought a distinct style to turn-based battles (even moreso than SMRPG), as well as several ideas for overworld exploration/navigation, and had excellent, memorable, light-hearted writing. I definitely remember being flabbergasted at the wild directions the game kept taking, even compared to other spin-offs.

Even the way the plot starts is fresh: an evil wizard from the neighbouring country of Beanbean Kingdom decides to steal Peach's voice, and now the Mushroom Kingdom Bros decide to go there and retrieve it, getting into all sorts of wacky cartoony adventures as they explore this foreign land.

From Bowser confirming that he doesn't know Luigi's name, to the Mario Bros using traditional jumps (as well as creative combo moves) to explore dungeons and fields, to highly-interactive and strategic battles, to meeting and talking to a slew of new characters and enemies, and even seeing unexpected cameos and references all over the place... This game was a high-octane hilarious adventure from beginning to end, oozing with charm and creativity.

This game was a highlight of the GBA for me (a legit feat, considering that console's library) for a very long time. It eventually lead to me getting Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story for the DS (though I still don't have the 3DS games) and confirm that Alphadream's creativity knew very few bounds. This is a series I cherished and respected, even if I kinda stopped playing it around the 3DS era (and to be fair, I entered a bit of a Nintendo hiatus around that time).

So yeah, sorry if it's coming late.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned in this week's N-E Cafe Podcast [059] Nintendo to Shut Down on March 31st, we are asking those who are interested to participate in another PodPals Community based gaming session.

The theme this month is Indie darlings and Walking simulators.

The games to vote from are:

1. Inside [1]
  2. Mark of the Ninja: Remastered [0]
  3. Mutant Mudds [0]
  4. SteamWorld Dig 2 [0]
  5. Celeste [0]
  6. Gris [0]
  7. Gone Home [0]
  8. What Remains of Edith Finch [0]

We’ll give 2 weeks to finalise and count the votes, and then announce the results on the podcast recorded on the 17th of January, and available from all good podcast providers on Tuesday, 19th January.

Once, we know what game has been selected, it’s down to you, and us 3 hosts, to play the game and share our thoughts on every aspect of it.  From does the game live up to its nostalgia, the music, to negativity and positivity.  Please share.

We’ll be recording the PodPals Episode on the 21st of February (maybe on the 14th if all goes well).

I'll get the ball rolling and I'm voting for Inside.

Thanks to all who participate.

• Thanks 1

Cool, I was recently thinking it would nice to progress through a game together again (basically @nekunando going through Snake Pass and the various reactions on it). So glad to see you guys taking the initiative!

I checked my Epic Store freebie library and I actually have quite a few titles there from this list. I'm desperate to play Inside as I loved Limbo but never got around to playing Inside. However, I'm also curious to see how different people would experience a walking simulator; a genre I haven't played much myself. So I'm voting either Gone Home or What Remains of Edith Finch. Guess I have to pick one so let's go with Gone Home

• Like 1

I'd actually been planning on getting to What Remains of Edith Finch this month anyways, as it's been sitting in my library for a while now, so that gets my vote :D

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this