NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

N-Europe Video Game Club

Well, it's about time to announce the winner.  Adding @WackerJr's vote and the Twitter poll we ran on the N-E Cafe account.

Kirby's DreamLand 3 -  9 votes

Kirby's Dream Course - 3 votes

Kirby's Adventure - 1 vote

Kirby Super Star - 1 votes

Kirby's DreamLand 3 is the clear winner.  Let's get gaming together. 

I'll mention the winner on the podcast this week, and give us all about a month to play through Kirby's DreamLand 3.  Thinking about sharing your thoughts on the podcast we'll record in early March, about the 3rd.  So, good gaming everyone.

I started and finished the game over the weekend. 

EPzHYYjU8AATmKv?format=jpg&name=large

EPzJSQlU0AA5Wqn?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

EPzHYYwU4AAC5Zt?format=jpg&name=large

EPzIEqoUEAAnoey?format=jpg&name=large

EPzHYYGUwAAM9Ga?format=jpg&name=large

EPzIEqgU0AAgRSJ?format=jpg&name=large

EPzHYYjVAAARSP0?format=jpg&name=large

EPzIEqpUUAA5aOh?format=jpg&name=large

EPzHoLjUUAApOoo?format=jpg&name=large

EPzIEqdUwAA8rwh?format=jpg&name=large

EPzHoLXU8AA34ev?format=jpg&name=large

EPzIV-_UwAAKyME?format=jpg&name=large

EPzHoLuU8AAT62x?format=jpg&name=large

EPzI8rEUYAA1MhS?format=jpg&name=large

EPzI8rkUEAAGryY?format=jpg&name=large

EPzJHxYU4AINql4?format=jpg&name=large

I really enjoyed playing through this. I'm honestly not sure if I've actually played it before. If I did then I don't remember anything about it. 

The Kirby games are always a joy to play through. The vibrant worlds, whimsical soundtracks, simple but deep gameplay and playful nature of them always bring a smile to my face. I do enjoy how Kirby games are structured and this one is no different. You can play the game from start to finish without worrying about anything but the main stages. However, for those who are wanting a little more out of the game and want to aim for 100%, there are extras to do.

Collecting a heart in each of the stages requires the player to do a task within the stage itself. The tasks can be something simple such as winning a minigame but they can also be a little more challenging where completing the challenge requires you to have a certain animal friend with you, a certain power up or even both. A lot of the time most of the things needed for the challenges are found in the stage that gives you the task. However, there are some rare cases where some of these things have to be carried over from another level. This is easily done though as you can revisit an earlier the stage, grab the power up/animal you need and then quit out as soon as you obtain them.

Kirby games are more often than not about playing around with the different powers that you can find and then using them to help make your way through the stages. The powers that are on offer here are truly very varied. When you are just Kirby then the powers are pretty standard but when you add an animal into the mix then this is where the variety of them really shines. Coo was my animal of choice due to having the ability to fly and I quite liked how the enemy powers when mixed with him were mainly about striking the enemy from above. Flying above them while sending down electric bolts from on high was very satisfying.

This game gets a lot of praise for the art style that is used ( which I agree with ) but the game is also quite expressive. There is a large amount of charm that each of the characters brings to the table. For example, when you have multiple animal friends to choose from, and they are all on the screen at the same time, when you pick one over the other the ones that are left behind will shed a tear or look shocked because they didn't get picked. HAL didn't need to do this but it's a very small touch that gives the game that much more personality. Some of these types of reactions can be seen in my first set of pictures but here are some more examples, as well as a quick clip of what happens to Coo when crossed with the broom power up. :laughing:

Spoiler

EPzHoL3UYAA87jz?format=jpg&name=large

EPzH1GNUEAAetXp?format=jpg&name=large

EPzH1GFU0AASGiX?format=jpg&name=large

EPzH1GFUYAATND9?format=jpg&name=large

The game also features a couple of neat appearances from other Nintendo characters. One of which is brilliantly implemented. I'll put them in spoilers in case others want to find out for themselves when they play the game.

Spoiler

You want Metroid on your Switch? Then here you go. :D 

EPzIv_cU4AAspgK?format=jpg&name=large

EPzIv_bU0AAEwcs?format=jpg&name=large

ROB also shows up in the game but first you have to put him back together.

EPzIV-7UwAAlfz9?format=jpg&name=large

I did get a little bummed out during the credits of the game due to this....

EPzJHxYVAAAkBxU?format=jpg&name=large

Even after all of these years it still hits me hard when I see his name pop up and once again realise that he is no longer with us. Even though he is gone his games still manage to bring me a sense of joy and happiness. Legend. :cry:

So, yeah, that's me done. It's a great game and one that i'm happy to have played through. In a time where most games are built to clean out your pockets, keep you playing for long periods of time and need various patches just to run, it's great to play something like this every once in a while. It helps you remember a time when a game was primarily built for the players to just have fun, it was an experience that could be had from start to finish with no patches, everything was on the cartridge and you weren't nudged to sign into the game every day just in order to get you playing. Happy days. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You know, as the guy who only needed -2,5 months to complete this month's game (as opposed to H-o-T, who needed two whole days), I figure I should post some thoughts. My impressions upon finishing the game were:

On 17/11/2019 at 5:38 PM, Jonnas said:

Kirby's Dream Land 3

I've been playing this during my relaxation time (usually with something else on the background) and I've finished it recently. This is exactly the type of game that makes the NES/SNES service shine. Lovely stuff you didn't know you wanted or needed.

As is usual for a Kirby game, it's cute and cheerful. This game in particular has a "crayon" look to it that's just adorable, and the spritework is super charming (not just the different powers you can see above, but small things like Rick tearing up when you choose a different animal). I also adore the ability combinations, and how they're used in puzzles and extra objectives.

Granted, Kirby moves weird in this game (runs fast, but suddenly jumps/floats slowly), the level design feels very basic, and some of the extra goals can feel obtuse (not a good thing when the levels are long, as it can mean you can't experiment with your various powers that easily). But it's still enjoyable, and the game's basically free.

So, nothing too shabby. Still, I'm going to add something to it by comparing the puzzles/sidequests in Dream Land 3... to Dream Land 2. Yes, the Game Boy game. This is because Kirby's Dream Land 2 was the first game I ever consciously completed 100%. I definitely prefer how the hidden candies were handled in that game.

Basically, some levels would just have inaccessible optional areas that you had to figure out on your own how to get in. For example, one such area was an underwater door hidden behind some blocks and a strong current. Naturally, the first instinct is to go there with Kine, so you replay the level while bringing him along... but behind the door, you needed the fire power to access the collectible gem! So you replay the level again, this time making sure you pick up the fire power... but Fire Kine can't destroy the first line of underwater blocks! Well, now what?

Dream Land 2 had a few tricky situations like this, and that's what made them so rewarding, you had to earn those collectible candies via exploration, logical reasoning and experimentation. By comparison, Dream Land 3 just gives you a simple task to complete, and calls attention as to where that task is. It's a shame they decided to try that route, as I definitely preferred the Dream Land 2 way of doing it. The closest task is the level where you have to put ROB back together, since you do need to figure out which combo should be used in each room... but it's the one exception.

So yeah, I guess this rant is my contribution to the club this month :heh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a call out to all those that want to play through Kirby's Dream Land 3 and want to get a name check in the N-E Cafe Podcast.  We'll be recording the PodPals episode this coming Tuesday evening, 3rd of March, so you've got until then to get your thoughts down here in this thread.

Hope you've enjoyed what you've been playing.

Intended to finish it yesterday but had my usual slump of not wanting to play video games. So finished it today.

I actually found the game to be quite challenging in places. You can alter the difficulty a bit depending on which friend you have. Rick for example isn't great at platforming due to only having 1 jump and seems a little more slippery (kind of like Luigi).

I'm not sure if I was missing something, but some of the combos were a bit obscure, for example, sweep + the green bird = water attack? Not sure if some things were explained in the manual which the Switch Online service doesn't provide.

Some of the challenges were also a bit obscure, but there tends to be a pattern between each world and then they start to shake it up a little just to keep things fresh. I wasn't sure what was going on at first though, why was there this weird spring thing waiting at the end of the level? Again, maybe something that was explained in the manual.

Anyway, graphics were great, music was great. Nago turns outright murderous if you don't pick him which is hilarious. Final boss is typical Kirby outlandish. I enjoyed it.

Disappointed to learn @Ashley's avatar is in fact, not Rick though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh I know it's not, but it's too cute to not use. 

I keep meaning to make a Rick signature as I've had my current one for about...a decade?

• Like 1

It's more just me not knowing the characters and assuming really.

On 01/03/2020 at 4:54 PM, Ike said:

I'm not sure if I was missing something, but some of the combos were a bit obscure, for example, sweep + the green bird = water attack?

Yeah, it's kinda weird. But Kirby Star Allies brought back that particular copy ability and it's called "Cleaning"

So it makes a lot more sense if you see it as not just a broom sweep and just a general ability revolving around cleaning stuff.

That ability is way more fun in Star Allies, mind.

Yeah, the bird with the broom makes a water bucket. It's not intuitive if you're looking for water specifically, but I figured the intention was cleaning utensils (especially when Naga+Broom makes a sweeping cloth, as well)

Sorry for the double post, but I figure I'd update our list (maybe I should make a second one to account for the hiatus?):

Thread list (Hide contents)

1. 2018/08 (drahkon) - Wario Land 4
  2. 2018/09 (Ike) - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  3. 2018/10 (Jonnas) - Castlevania
  4. 2018/11 (Glen-i) - Yoshi's Island
  5. 2018/12 (S.C.G) - Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  6. 2019/01 (Vileplume2000) - Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
  7. 2019/02 (DCubed) - Metroid Prime
  8. 2019/03 (nekunando) - Starfox Guard
  9. 2019/04 (Lazyboy) - Furi
  10. 2020/03 (Londragon) - Kirby's Dream Land 3

Honourable Mention: Demon's Crest (2019/12 - PodPals)

And since Kirby's fresh on our mind

• Like 1

Yo guys! Speaking of hiatuses...;)

What/when is this likely to happen for next? I may be interested - mostly gutted I wasn't around sooner for the Kirbs!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yo guys! Speaking of hiatuses...;)
What/when is this likely to happen for next? I may be interested - mostly gutted I wasn't around sooner for the Kirbs!!

Welcome back.
Have a listen to the podcast, full of all the forum’s expression of Dream Land 3.
Will be doing another one soon, at least getting everyone’s opinion on what game they’d like to play. As I said on the podcast, the last 2 have been SNES games, so something a little more contemporary would be preferable, but whatever anyone wants.
Later on today, I’ll come up with a list of what I think may be appropriate, but please feel free to add, edit or suggest anything else.
After a little while, we can then compile a short list to vote on.

So, I have a large list of potential more recent indie games to hit the Switch that have now dropped in price, or drop in price regularly on the eShop.

If any take your fancy, give it a shoutout, and this is just to see what interests people first.

1. Dandara (on sale now for a fiver)
  2. Axiom Verge
  3. Super Hot
  4. LightFall
  5. Bastion
  6. Transistor
  7. Hotline Miami Collection
  8. Thumper
  9. Olli Olli
  10. Death Squared
  11. Cuphead
  12. Mutant Mudds
  13. SteamWorld Dig
  14. The Swindle
  15. Virtua Racing
  16. Doom (original)
  17. Asphalt 9: Legends (free to play)
  18. WarFace (free to play)
  19. Killer Queen Black
  20. Super Chariot
  21. Mother Russia Bleeds
  22. Degrees of Separation
  23. Runbow
  24. Old Man's Journey
  25. Agent A
  26. Inside
  27. Limbo
  28. Gone Home
  29. The Final Station
  30. The Room
  31. Gris
  32. Celeste
  33. Unravel 2
  34. Untitled Goose Game
  35. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!!
  36. Ape Out
  37. Snipperclips
  38. Golf Story
  39. The Stretchers
  40. Shovel; Knight
  41. Oxenfree
  42. RIVE
  43. Retro City Rampage
  44. ThimbleWeed Park
  45. World of Goo
  46. Gorogoa
  47. Xeodrifter
  48. Bulb Boy
  49. Mark of the NInja: Remastered
  50. Death Road to Cananda
  51. Detention
  52. Grim Fandango
  53. An ACA game (Arcade Archives)

That'[s a bigger list than I first imagined.

Personally I'd like to play any of them.

Here we go @londragon I've gone through the games and these are the titles which stand out to me...

• An ACA game (Arcade Archives
  • Axiom Verge
  • Celeste
  • Doom (original)
  • Killer Queen Black
  • Oxenfree
  • RIVE
  • ThimbleWeed Park
  • Toki Tori
  • Turok
  • Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
  • Undertale
  • World of Goo
  • Virtua Racing

Those would be my picks, taken from your list list and a few additional titles added for good measure. :D

10 hours ago, londragon said:

Would definitely be up for revisiting Turok, too.

If either Turok or Turok 2 is picked, that might advance my plans to get on with that Turok retrospective article/feature I'd planned to do at some point soon. :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

If either Turok or Turok 2 is picked, that might advance my plans to get on with that Turok retrospective article/feature I'd planned to do at some point soon. :smile:

At least if it's Turok, I won't have to feel bad about not playing it this time.. because I've already finished it on Switch :grin:

Demon's Crest and Kirby's Dream Land 3 were too painful to persist with!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, nekunando said:

At least if it's Turok, I won't have to feel bad about not playing it this time.. because I've already finished it on Switch :grin:

Demon's Crest and Kirby's Dream Land 3 were too painful to persist with!

I think the key is picking a game that most people actually do want to play, rather than picking a game just to clear the backlog or having one that can be brought cheaply from the eShop.

It's a shame that it's limited to the Switch (obviously makes sense) as revisiting past games that you've enjoyed often brings new conversation and perspectives. Of course, not everyone has access to older Nintendo systems and I imagine most would rather play something new.

Well I’m giving my vote to anything. Want to hear any suggestions, including Lee’s list of 50+ :laughing:

Once we whittle it down to two or three I’m happy to make a choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually own some of the games Lee posted, if we include platforms like GOG or Steam. Mine would be:

1. Dandara (took the fiver)
  2. Bastion
  3. Transistor
  4. SteamWorld Dig
  5. Limbo
  6. The Room
  7. Snipperclips
  8. Oxenfree
  9. World of Goo
  10. Mark of the NInja: Remastered
  11. Detention
  12. Grim Fandango
  13. An ACA game (a few)

And the ones I have played, I wouldn't mind replaying.

I was going to suggest adding Mega Drive games to the mix, but then I remembered the whole point is to play a modern offering (so I guess classic Arcade games are also out of the picture?)

An alternative method to figure out a shortlist would be: when the voting's supposed to start, take a list of whichever titles have the best price offering during the week/fortnight of voting. That way, you'll get a shortlist of 3 to 5 titles for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is ehm... quite a list! Plenty of potential great games to play. A bunch on my list:

• Celeste
  • OlliOlli
  • Steamworld Dig (have it already on DS but never played it
  • Cuphead
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Adding Ori and the Blind Forest to the list :grin:

Also quite a bunch I have played but would not mind revisiting like Oxenfree (been meaning to give that another go), The Room (nice and short, played it on iPad), Limbo, Shovel Knight.

But yes, I think we need some way of shortlisting this. Games on a lot of platforms (PC/PS4/Switch/Xbox), or a heavily discounted game on Switch.

• Thanks 2

I will say that Steamworld Dig is a solid choice if a lot of people haven't played it yet.

I can't believe that it has been nearly two years since I reviewed it on the Switch, easily one of the most enjoyable games to play and review at the time. :)

This also means that in another month, the sequel; Steamworld Dig 2 will have been out as well... another game I need to play.

I wouldn't mind a replay of Axiom Verge.

I'll try to join in if it's a game I already own though, unless you go for Old Man's Journey, that one's shit, or Inside, which is meh.

I might even buy a new game, I've never fully played the orinal Doom (or Doom 2) (although I'd play that on PC), or maybe some cheap indies like Xeodrifter or the original Steam Dig (from that list).

Edited by Sméagol

I’ll have a look over the weekend and compile a shorter list taking into account everyone’s likes and desires.
Any other takers?

Sign in to follow this