NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

N-Europe Video Game Club

Shameless bump.

Given that this thread had a lot of traction back in the day, the N-E Cafe podcast is going to revive it. The gaming backlog is constantly growing, so why not throw something else on it? 

I'll post again over the next few days with 3-4 of choices for February's game. We were thinking doing NES / SNES Classics or cheaper indie games so that as many people as possible have the chance to take part, but we're open to newer games too. 

If anyone has any suggestions in the meantime, I'm more than happy to hear them!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Alright, so let's hear some recommendations from the SNES / NES app.

Since most people have it, I guess that's what we'll go with first.

18 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Alright, so let's hear some recommendations from the SNES / NES app.

Since most people have it, I guess that's what we'll go with first.

Well, I'm in!

Looking at a post by @Jonnas on the last page, we've previously had:

- Wario Land 4
- Link's Awakening
- Castlevania
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 
-  The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
-  Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
-  Metroid Prime
-  Starfox Guard
-   Furi

Of these, I think only Yoshi's Island is on NES/SNES Online, so it seems pretty open. 

From a quick scroll through the NES app, I want to throw out there any of the Super Mario Bros. games, River City Ransom, or Kirby's Adventure

From the SNES app, games which look to be of similar length (according to HLTB), and which I find catching my eye, are Star Fox, F-Zero, and Demon's Crest

Outside of Nintendo's classic offerings, To the Moon recently released on Switch, and is available for £8.63 at the moment. Only heard good things about it, including from some people here, and that doesn't look particularly long either, so definitely want to look to hurl that into the mix too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

From a quick scroll through the NES app, I want to throw out there any of the Super Mario Bros. games, River City Ransom, or Kirby's Adventure

From the SNES app, games which look to be of similar length (according to HLTB), and which I find catching my eye, are Star Fox, F-Zero, and Demon's Crest

Outside of Nintendo's classic offerings, To the Moon recently released on Switch, and is available for £8.63 at the moment. Only heard good things about it, including from some people here, and that doesn't look particularly long either, so definitely want to look to hurl that into the mix too. 

I love River City Ransom, so I'd be well up for that!

All the SNES games are good shouts, I've been playing through Star Fox (Wing) recently for the first time and it's been fun seeing how Nintendo have changed bugger all in terms of design for the sequels :laughing:

Demon's Crest was actually our last game (played through it in December), but @Vileplume2000 was the only one who actually played it :D

Definitely open to cheaper indies too, so I'll check that one out as I've heard good things about it too.

Can I suggest the Kirby games for NES&SNES? They're all fairly easy to play (except for Dream Course), and since everybody has them, I think they'd be good candidates

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Can I suggest the Kirby games for NES&SNES? They're all fairly easy to play (except for Dream Course), and since everybody has them, I think they'd be good candidates

I was going to suggest Kirby's Dreamland 3.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Ike said:

I was going to suggest Kirby's Dreamland 3.

Wouldn't mind this one. I've started it but haven't pushed on so this would give me an incentive to finish it. It's also an interesting one to talk about as I think it really depends on the alternative quests for bringing the challenge. And it has those animal friends which kind of mixes it up compared to the previous Kirby titles.

Yeah, I’d be up for Kirby’s Dream land 3, too. Never actually played it, and looking for something from the app to get into next.

Ok then.

Slay the Spire.

:p 

Nah, I think Kirby games are a good idea. Easy and something for in between :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While Kirby Superstar is the better game? I think that Kirby's Dreamland 3 is the better choice here as less people would've played it before and I think it'll make for some interesting conversation afterwards (especially for people that actually manage to 100% it; and especially for people that have played Kirby 64 before, which is a direct sequel to KDL3 in particular).

My personal best pick would be Starfox 2 though.  It's one of the most interesting and (secretly) one of the most important games in Nintendo's history.  There is so much that the likes of Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time owe to Starfox 2 in particular! Add on its psuedo randomised nature and it'll make for some very interesting comments!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

While Kirby Superstar is the better game? I think that Kirby's Dreamland 3 is the better choice here as less people would've played it before and I think it'll make for some interesting conversation afterwards (especially for people that actually manage to 100% it; and especially for people that have played Kirby 64 before, which is a direct sequel to KDL3 in particular).

My personal best pick would be Starfox 2 though.  It's one of the most interesting and (secretly) one of the most important games in Nintendo's history.  There is so much that the likes of Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time owe to Starfox 2 in particular! Add on its psuedo randomised nature and it'll make for some very interesting comments!

I haven't really played DL3 hence my suggestion. I wouldn't mind SuperStar but that one's a bit more... open, isn't it?

Starfox 2 is also a good suggestion.

• Like 1

So, if I can be so bold as to choose 4 games for everybody to vote on then.  Feel free to change the games, but as Kirby has featured heavily in the above posts, let's choose from Kirby games.

1.Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)

2.Kirby Super Star (SNES)

3. Kirby's Dream Course (SNES)

4. Kirby's Adventure (NES)

Personally, I'm voting for Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)

(Because... Rick!) ;)

• Like 1

I did play Dream Land 3 very recently, so if it wins, I'll be able to give my opinion earlier than anybody else :heh: 

This is also why I'll vote Kirby's Adventure. Never played the NES version.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If Kirby's Dream Course gets the most votes I want to play this online against one of you and utterly destroy yo' ass.

Never played it, though. Still gonna win :p 

Edit: @londragon how long will the voting be open?

Edited by drahkon

I’ll tally up all the votes at the end of the month. That’ll give us time to mention it on next week’s podcast, and then a couple of days for podcast listeners to get a quick last minute vote in. So, a week and a half left.

A couple more days to go on this if anyone else is interested.

So far, we have these numbers in.

Kirby's DreamLand 3  -  6 votes

Kirby's Dream Course - 2 votes

Kirby's Adventure - 1 vote

Kirby Super Star - 0 votes

I’m happy with any of those choices, so I’m going to cast my vote for Kirby’s Dream Course.

Sign in to follow this