NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

N-Europe Video Game Club

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I ehh, I guess you still can on the WiiU? Though I think its library is limited compared to the Wii VC? I don't actually own a Wii U.

Regarding the Wii: you can, as long as you still have points left, or already own the games. You can't add points anymore, so I have an absolute limit what I can spend in the Wii E-shop. And I think I already know what I'm going to spend my last points on, and only one of those games is a SNES games (Zombies ate my neighbours).

I see. Didn't know about the situation on Wii and Wii U

I know you lot are having many meaningful discussions.

But I'm just letting you know I'd be up for any games I have access to.

Sounds fun.

• Like 4

I think it's a good idea and I'm up for it when I can as well. Sounds like a good excuse/motivation to play some retro games that I may not have played yet.

• Like 4

This is a great idea and I’d definitely like to get back into more retro gaming (other than SMK ;)), but It’s unlikely I’ll be able to stop myself from playing all the current/upcoming games in order to do so. :hmm:

I’ll soon be hooked on Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Monster Hunter, both of which will keep me very busy until Smash Ultimate arrives, at which point I imagine I won’t be playing anything else! :heh: 

Look forward to reading about everyone’s retro adventures though.

:peace:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

This is a great idea and I’d definitely like to get back into more retro gaming (other than SMK ;)), but It’s unlikely I’ll be able to stop myself from playing all the current/upcoming games in order to do so. :hmm:

I’ll soon be hooked on Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Monster Hunter, both of which will keep me very busy until Smash Ultimate arrives, at which point I imagine I won’t be playing anything else! :heh: 

Look forward to reading about everyone’s retro adventures though.

:peace:

That’s kind of another reason I think the retro stuff works better for this. I’ve also got a load of games coming up that I plan to play but I feel like SNES or mega drive games can be played in between those sessions when I’m taking a break and could use something less story heavy for example.

The moment you've been waiting for has arrived. I introduce you to the magnificent
N-Europe Video Game Club
Only people with good taste in video games are allowed to take part. Yes, YOU are not. You know who you are.

Fuck. You.

*Exits flamboyantly

I vote SNES and Mega Drive, mainly because people can very easily get an emulator if they don't fancy spending money. It seems silly for someone to have to buy a console just for one game.

I'd like to include Gameboy since a lot of titles were also on the 3DS VC, but mostly because I want to play Link's Awakening again.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Goafer said:

I vote SNES and Mega Drive, mainly because people can very easily get an emulator if they don't fancy spending money. It seems silly for someone to have to buy a console just for one game.

I would like to remind you of the forum rules at this juncture.

I think everyone should play Pokémon Red/Blue (/Gold/Silver for @Glen-i) and then have a tournament during a meetup.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

I would like to remind you of the forum rules at this juncture.

To be fair, emulators are legal.

6 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I think everyone should play Pokémon Red/Blue (/Gold/Silver for @Glen-i) and then have a tournament during a meetup.

Hey, I'm not totally opposed to playing through Red/Blue. Gen 1 is fine (if a bit antiquated), it's Gen 1 pandering in the modern games and blind nostalgia for them that gives me the fury of a thousand suns.

I assume you mean the 3DS versions? Because I have Yellow and I assume that would be just as good.

Anyway, my two cents would vote for SNES/Mega Drive/Game Boy.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Also, where are the rules these days?

In our hearts

(I'm not actually sure)

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

To be fair, emulators are legal.

I know. The rule was always you can't explicitly direct someone to where they can obtain ROMs. Particularly given Nintendo's recent antics.

In our hearts

(I'm not actually sure)

So basically until you find them we can do whatever we want with no repercussions? I’m gonna go find me some game torrents to share with y’all.

• Haha 1

I’m sure I saw them somewhere recently though as I remember thinking the torrent one was a bit weird as it’s just another way to download and not illegal in itself.

I'm also for adding GameBoy to the system list. Just GB/GBC or GBA, as well? How's the GBA VC situation?

44 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’m sure I saw them somewhere recently though as I remember thinking the torrent one was a bit weird as it’s just another way to download and not illegal in itself.

I'm sure they are, but I'm watching Netflix and can't be bothered to engage my brain. 

And again, it's more that the typical consequence is illegal so it's safer (for us) to just say no. I don't think we've ever had a situation where someone has wanted to share torrents for legal reasons.

And again, it's more that the typical consequence is illegal so it's safer (for us) to just say no. I don't think we've ever had a situation where someone has wanted to share torrents for legal reasons.

Oh yeah I wasn't really bringing that up for any reason other than that's what reminded me of the last time I saw the Rules.

46 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I'm also for adding GameBoy to the system list. Just GB/GBC or GBA, as well? How's the GBA VC situation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_U_(North_America)#Nintendo_Game_Boy_Advance

74 games released to date (and probably ever at this point) on the Wii U VC.

That's the American list but I don't think it differs wildly from the European releases.

Some fantastic titles on there. :peace:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_U_(North_America)#Nintendo_Game_Boy_Advance

74 games released to date (and probably ever at this point) on the Wii U VC.

That's the American list but I don't think it differs wildly from the European releases.

Some fantastic titles on there. :peace:

Alright. So GB/GBC/GBA it is.

I'll choose a system and three games for the first vote and post it tomorrow unless there are any objections, i.e. people need some more time to finish a game they're currently playing.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Oh yeah I wasn't really bringing that up for any reason other than that's what reminded me of the last time I saw the Rules.

Fair fair. I'm sure they'll turn up at some point.

Here we go, the first vote is upon us. 

My suggestion:

• vote stays open until Wednesday
  • results will be posted on that day
  • gaming time will start when the dedicated thread is up (you can start earlier, of course)
  • maximum play time for the first round: two weeks (or until everyone has finished the game/the thread is dead)

I chose games that don't take too long to finish (i.e. finish the story) - according to howlongtobeat.com it'll take around 7-8h to beat the longest of the three (mind you, that's a rough estimate and playtime will vary within our group).

Without further ado:

Spoiler

Possibly my favourite handheld until this day. I remember getting one for Christmas 17 years ago; I was 11. Good times. 

Spoiler

220px-Kuru_Kuru_Kururin_Coverart.jpg

kurukuru kururin - This has been a launch title in PAL regions back in the day. When I was 12 my parents and I went on a vacation. Two days in I had completed Super Mario Advance and needed a new game. So we went to a second-hand shop to find cheap games. kurukuru kururin was the only game they had and I bought it for a few bucks. Never in my life could I have imagined the joy (and frustration) little me got out of it. I remember completing it 100% and setting lots of records in the later levels which was tough as nails. I also tried to glitch the game by "breaking" through the walls to be outside of the play area. I could never get back in without dying, though :D 

Spoiler

250px-Mario_Tennis_-_Power_Tour_Coverart

Mario Tennis: Power Tour - There is no personal story about this one, as I have never played it. Yeah, that's it for this game :D 

Spoiler

250px-Wario_Land_4_Coverart.jpg

Wario Land 4 - As a kid I have played and completed every Wario game except this one. Why? The time limit the game sets upon you every level once you've reached a certain point. I hated that. Maybe I still hate it, who knows. So why not give this game another go and find out.

There you have it. Time to choose. :) 

Spoiler

Mario Tennis: Power Tour

Would love to give this one a try, so this is an easy choice for me.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

Did you put everything in spoilers just to annoy @Happenstance? :D 

My vote goes to Mario Tennis: Power Tour. I actually snapped this up a while ago when RFN were doing there Retro Active show on it but I never got around to playing it and joining in on the fun. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you put everything in spoilers just to annoy @Happenstance? :D 

Nah :p I just like it better that way. Less clutter.

If this actually comes about ( highly doubt it will ) then I suggest we use this thread for voting and a new one created for the actual discussion of the game. Something like August N-E Game Club: Mario Tennis Power Tour, with a new one created each month.

Sign in to follow this