NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

N-Europe Video Game Club

The moment you've been waiting for has arrived. I introduce you to the magnificent

N-Europe Video Game Club

Only people with good taste in video games are allowed to take part. Yes, YOU are not. You know who you are. Anyway, now that this is out of the way let me give a rundown of what this is about:

• every month (doesn't have to start at the 1st of each month; maybe every 4 weeks is better Edit: or less, depending on the game/pool of games) we take a vote to choose a game out of a set pool
  • the game with the most vote will be played by anyone who's interested and discussed in a dedicated thread
  • you can tell us about your journey, praise the game, criticize how bad it is, write a poem about your love of the game in question, record a video which depicts you stabbing the cartridge with a knife, tell others that their opinion SUCKS (this is the internet after all), etc

Regarding the games pool:

• one participant selects 3 games 
    • one system (SNES, MegaDrive or GB/GBC/GBA for now)
    • easily available games (i.e. no games that would cost a fortune to acquire)
    • once the time to play is over this participant names one who will select the next 3 games
  • out of this pool we each choose one
  • game with the most votes will be the one we play

@Happenstance, @S.C.G, @Hero-of-Time, @nekunando, @Sheikah, @Sméagol, @Glen-i, @Goafer, @Jonnas, @Mandalore, @Ike, @RedShell
Feel free to tag others I didn't think of in your posts. (yeah, yeah, ok. People with bad taste are allowed, too.)

This thread serves as a place for discussion about the "rules", voting and general ideas/suggestions. 

I'd say that before we start with the first vote (I will provide the first three games, because screw you :p) tell us what you think about the idea and the above points. Suggestions are always welcome.

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I feel like this has been gamerfied more than my original idea :p

Wat? Isn't that your original idea? :D 

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Wat? Isn't that your original idea? :D 

My original idea was just for us all to choose a SNES or Mega Drive game to play together each month, it didnt have all the voting or pools of games selected etc. I'm not against it I guess, I just realise it may make my choice of Spider-Man on the Mega Drive less likely to be chosen :p

Just now, Happenstance said:

My original idea was just for us all to choose a SNES or Mega Drive game to play together each month, it didnt have all the voting or pools of games selected etc. I'm not against it I guess, I just realise it may make my choice of Spider-Man on the Mega Drive less likely to be chosen :p

I see, but I think with voting it's much easier to decide on one game. 

Also what consoles are we limiting this to? As I said the original idea was SNES/Mega Drive but you haven't mentioned.

Just now, Happenstance said:

Also what consoles are we limiting this to? As I said the original idea was SNES/Mega Drive but you haven't mentioned.

I'd say as a start we limit it to those two. If the idea catches on we can always expand the list later.

But we should definitely stick to retro consoles.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I say we start with the Wii purely because Happenstance loves it so much.

Good idea. Wii and games that exclusively use motion controls.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Fortunately, I already have a template for Wii reviews:

I waggled the controller. I didn't like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'd welcome it. Within 2 months you'd all finally realise what a shit console that was :p

When should we start with the first poll?

There's still the Chrono Trigger thread. Should we wait some more for people to finish the game there?

I won't be participating because apparently I'm not cool enough 😋 but limiting it to 25 year old consoles that you can't easily pick up a game for seems... Well... Limiting. 

What about games that are currently available through multiple storefronts such as Steam, console digital stores etc? 

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I won't be participating because apparently I'm not cool enough 😋 but limiting it to 25 year old consoles that you can't easily pick up a game for seems... Well... Limiting. 

What about games that are currently available through multiple storefronts such as Steam, console digital stores etc? 

I think this is why @S.C.G suggested something like the recent Sega Mega Drive collection. It's one multiple formats (PS4/Xbox/Steam) and has a great selection of games on it, a lot of which have been on other platforms before which makes it easier for others to play.

Also the idea basically came from wanting to play some older games together and talk about them. To be honest the wider we make the scope of this the less interested I am.

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think this is why @S.C.G suggested something like the recent Sega Mega Drive collection. It's one multiple formats (PS4/Xbox/Steam) and has a great selection of games on it, a lot of which have been on other platforms before which makes it easier for others to play.

Ah fair, that release had completely passed me by.

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Also the idea basically came from wanting to play some older games together and talk about them. To be honest the wider we make the scope of this the less interested I am.

oldmanyellsatcloud.png

Joking aside, there could be multiple streams, one of which would be a retro one.  I didn't mean to suggest this shouldn't happen or should be changed, just it could potentially be limiting if you expect everyone to still own a SNES.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Same here.

With the collections (SNES Mini and MegaDrive) the more popular older games are relatively easily available (SNES Mini to a lesser degree, admittedly). I think it's the best choice for now.

Just now, Ashley said:

Joking aside, there could be multiple streams, one of which would be a retro one.  I didn't mean to suggest this shouldn't happen or should be changed, just it could potentially be limiting if you expect everyone to still own a SNES.

It's worth a shot to see how it'll go with retro games. If it doesn't gain traction we can always change things up. 

Edited by drahkon

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Ah fair, that release had completely passed me by.

oldmanyellsatcloud.png

To be fair we never intended it to be only for people using the original hardware. There are so many ways to play these games now that it should never be an issue.

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Same here.

With the collections (SNES Mini and MegaDrive) the more popular older games are relatively easily available (SNES Mini to a lesser degree, admittedly). I think it's the best choice for now.

It's worth a shot to see how it'll go with retro games. If it doesn't gain traction we can always change things up. 

You don't need to change things up.  This is your idea (well, @Happenstance's which you stole :p) I was merely making a suggestion.  I could make my own variance too (let's all steal his idea!) and do something like mobile games or that.

*ponders*

Anyway, I fear I've distracted from things sorry.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

You don't need to change things up.  This is your idea (well, @Happenstance's which you stole :p) I was merely making a suggestion.  I could make my own variance too (let's all steal his idea!) and do something like mobile games or that.

That's great a idea, actually.

Edited by drahkon

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You joke, but the Wii had (well has, for now) the virtual console, which would have made this whole idea a whole lot more practical.

I mean, Drahkon, I like the idea in general, but it's just not practical. For me at least. This idea would have been great during the Wii era.

Personally, I'm currently not buying any retro stuff, it's too expensive and time consuming. New games on Switch and PC, and films are taking all my money and time currently.

I did buy a SNES at a convention years ago, I never had one as a kid, but it's currently not hooked up. I'm playing Chrono Trigger on my Wii, and I bought Zelda on it as well just for convenience (I actually have the SNES version).

There are barely any physical stores selling retro stuff over here. I only know one chain which sells 2nd hand stuff, and they don't go back to the 16-bit era. So I'd have to check online, or go to a convention, which would be the best, but least practical option.

I also don't intend to buy a SNES mini soon. Probably somewhere down the line, but I want to spend those 70 (?) euros or something on Switch stuff. Definitely not getting that Megadrive mini. Even I were to buy it.. You'd be limited to those games.

Those games aren't exactly cheap. Just checked Super Mario World right now.. A cartridge only seems to be selling for around 20 euros, but as a collector, I want it boxed of course, so I'll be paying a lot more than that. I probably don't need to tell you what Chrono Trigger is going for. Plus that requires an US or modded SNES.

I'm also not going to download ROMS, if anyone wants to suggest that.

So.. Those are a lot of barriers, too many for me personally. If they bring back the VC.. I'd be in.

If you want to do an indie game club (E-shop / Steam), going for relatively cheap and readily available games, I'm in.

If you want to do a film club, I'm in.

Edited by Sméagol

20 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

You joke, but the Wii had (well has, for now) the virtual console, which would have made this whole idea a whole lot more practical.

If you have a Wii or Wii U right now you could be able to play SNES games, as long as they're available, right?

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

When should we start with the first poll?

There's still the Chrono Trigger thread. Should we wait some more for people to finish the game there?

I'd definitely appreciate a bit of time to finish Chrono Trigger. I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through at the moment so it shouldn't take me long. Depends on the others if they are happy with more than one retro title on the go at once. Probably depends on the first title we choose as well I guess. I wouldn't want two RPGs to play but I can live with me playing Chrono Trigger along with a platformer/racing game etc.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

If you have a Wii or Wii U right now you could be able to play SNES games, as long as they're available, right?

I ehh, I guess you still can on the WiiU? Though I think its library is limited compared to the Wii VC? I don't actually own a Wii U.

Regarding the Wii: you can, as long as you still have points left, or already own the games. You can't add points anymore, so I have an absolute limit what I can spend in the Wii E-shop. And I think I already know what I'm going to spend my last points on, and only one of those games is a SNES game (Zombies ate my neighbours).

Edited by Sméagol

Sign in to follow this